cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

porfirio_aragon
Honored Guest
I'm another victim of the infamous black screen...

Can someone please upload the most recent riftdisplay.inf?

cybereality
Grand Champion
See this post.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/603351#Comment_603351

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LAW1980
Explorer
For anyone using the Rift Core 2.0 beta, it's worth turning that off...

Purely experimental, but I found out that was causing my black screen.

Crona
Honored Guest

LAW1980 said:

For anyone using the Rift Core 2.0 beta, it's worth turning that off...

Purely experimental, but I found out that was causing my black screen.

Same here. Core 2.0 + 397.31 caused black screen with orange light. 391.XX worked fine. Installing the drivers as cybereality mentioned did nothing.

I've submitted feedback and rolled back to the old software. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know

Lucagoury
Honored Guest
Hi everybody ! 
I come here because I hope to find a solution...
I have a black screen for 3 months now and I have tried everything to fix it.

- Uninstall / Reinstall Oculus
- Remove Windows Quick Start
- Try multiple update versions of my Nvidia graphics card (GTX 1080)
- Remove gardian system
- Fully reinstall Windows 10
- Remove Beta

Question is : Does your Oculus RIft work ? YES !
Yesterday i launch OculusDriver tool and the orange light has disappeared to finally appear in white. 
I managed to see the menu for 2 minutes (This happened in beta mode) then...black screen...
I tried to restart the tool but it does not work anymore ...

So, I am desperate...

PS: I have already contacted the after-sales service, but they could not help me ...

thank's for your help ! 🙂 

Cookie5504
Honored Guest

I get that black screen, But if I go back to the old home and out of the Beta, the unit works again. So I believe it is something between the new Dash 2.0 and possibly the Nivida newer drivers.

Thanks so much!
This fixed mine aswell!

Allebc
Explorer
My oculus arrived last week and since the beginning its a fight... oculus keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. At the moment its working but if i lay my hands...... Maybe its the cable, i don't know.... I did all the bios updates, new pci express usb 3.0 card, nvidia driver to 388.59 worked for a while, when I upgrade windows 10 to falls creator and disable the antivirus then restart the windows it worked too, but after 20 minutes it was off, tried in another pc (same thing), unplug  and plug the cables (from the headset too) etc etc and it keeps going on and off. Just sometimes when i restart the pc it goes back to the white light.... Guardian System is on (while off i still had the same black screen/ orange light issue) and Rift core 2.0 is off because it split the screen in two rooms... (Maybe this is a dumb information but it seems that it works more at night?! The average temperature today was 22-24º C in my city... but just now with the last reset of the pc, the headset keeps on while I don't touch it... its been on for more the 30min! A record!) Well...I'm lost with ideas already. I will try one last time sending this log. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (and sorry for the bad english) 

*Just a update: I was doing the full setup again and a message to update appear, now the firmware of the headset is: 708/b1ae4f61ae But the disconnecting and reconnecting issue its not over.

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK to be blunt, I am bloody pissed off with blackouts since a crash within BOXVR. I've tried totally everything, from 1.25 to 1.26 in Classic Mode to 1.25 again, from old Nvidia driver 384.94 to 388.31 after trying 391.35 and back. I have now even made the April Win10 Update and no change. On reboots it NEVER finds any sensors even if I swap USB slots around and constantly needs them re-plugged in.

So, what is to blame here? What the hell happened to all our systems?

Shit needs to work!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried disabling Fastboot and no change. Device will not work once I look around.
Using OculusDebugTool RESTART OCULUS SERVICE does find both sensors though rather than needing to re-plug.
Just tried Safe Mode DDU again and 388.59 and no joy.

"[Error] [23/04/2018 04:00:09] Unknown error (0xe0000247)
                        Error Code: -536870329
                        Install Step: InstallDriver
                        Sub Install Step: Monitor Driver
                        Severity: Error
                        Line Number: 132
                        Caller: Install
                        ODI Version: 1.21.5.0
                        File Path: C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-full\Software\OculusSDK\PC\Support\OculusDriverInstaller\OculusDriverInstaller\Driver.cs
[Warning] [23/04/2018 04:00:09] Install Complete: An install subtask emitted a warning
                        Error Code: 0
                        Install Step: InstallDone
                        Sub Install Step:
                        Severity: Warning
                        Line Number: 293
                        Caller: Install
                        ODI Version: 1.21.5.0
                        File Path: C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-full\Software\OculusSDK\PC\Support\OculusDriverInstaller\OculusDriverInstaller\Installer.cs"

*Looked at the RiftDisplay Driver and it shows an issue. Perhaps it's too old so can someone upload it please as I can not access the new install package files due to SSE4.2 checks.

0jebupri5gmo.jpg
*Wondering if the REGDIT hack works by DisablingSelectiveSuspend whilst in some case it does not work if only selected in Power Management:
http://9b5.org/2011/10/windows-disable-usb-power-saving-disableselectivesuspend/

*Else, I tried swapping DP Adapter>HDMI (Rift) to monitor. I also get no picture on the Monitor. The Adapter is a short cable 4k*2k and has worked for a full year. Perhaps it burnt out or has bad connectors. It's also known that the Rift is very picky about running well on its USB cable. So any kinks, corrosion on the contacts could potentially cause this.

Win10 also killed my HP Printer and is being repaired/replaced!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried the re-plug HMD HDMI whilst powered off and no different.
Then with only HMD connected to my 4 slots USB3 I unplug, then I can select FORGET DEVICE in the drop down panel, I plugin to a slot I hadn't used it on before (it wouldn't really matter) and now it gives me a small sign "SETUP RIFT?" in the upper right. Yes, and it works to then setup as always and the I'm able to look all around without blackouts in the DEMO LAB. I press escape to get back into Home (they didn't provide a Touch button to exit) and it's back.
BLACK OUTS!
So, I do know for a fact it isn't: Cables, USB issues in Win10, Nvidia etc. but the problem is either I need my Driver properly Installed OR to fix Home. All of these I can not get access to do as I had to use Runtime1.0 to get this to install and bypass SSE4.2 and the new updates never provide me with files I can access as you get if you download them, which is merely a SETUP file which will perform SSE4.2 before allowing installation files to be unpacked.

Can I please have Runtime1.25 as an Installation Pack which contains Repair and Driver Install?