New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

My Oculus Go Display broke after installing a game!

VoodooDEVoodooDE Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hi guys, 

Thomas here from the german VR YouTube channel VoodooDE. 
Today my brand new Oculus Go is already broken. The left display shows some yellow areas. I don't know if that has something in common with that, but I installed the game Overflight (got the key for a review from the devs). The game downloaded to 100% and then tried to install. Installation didn't work and stayed at 0% and just after that the display showed this yellow errors.
I already did a factory reset but this didn't help... 
I already opened a support ticket and I really hope I will be the only one with this problems otherwise Oculus will have a problem... 
Here are two examples:
https://imgur.com/a/4RWq0ca

Anybody else with this issues? 
Regards 
Thomas 
Tagged:

Comments

• FunkBroFunkBro Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Maybe you’re not alone. I stumbled upon this post in the German section.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/de/discussion/64851/okulus-go-gelbe-flecken#latest
  • rubinventurerubinventure Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I purchased 4 from best buy in the USA and had to return one that had a dead screen
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 24,708 Oculus Staff
    @VoodooDE Those images appear to be sun damage. This can happen if the lenses are exposed to the sun, even just a minute or two can cause damage to the screen. You can think of the lenses like a magnifying glass, not sure if you ever burned leaves or paper as a kid, same idea. Unfortunately, the damage is permanent. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • VoodooDEVoodooDE Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    @VoodooDE Those images appear to be sun damage. This can happen if the lenses are exposed to the sun, even just a minute or two can cause damage to the screen. You can think of the lenses like a magnifying glass, not sure if you ever burned leaves or paper as a kid, same idea. Unfortunately, the damage is permanent. 
    Lol I don't have a big sun in my living room xD
    Of course I didn't use the Oculus Go outside...
    What else can this be? 

• VoodooDEVoodooDE Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    FunkBro said:
    Maybe you’re not alone. I stumbled upon this post in the German section.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/de/discussion/64851/okulus-go-gelbe-flecken#latest
    That is exactly the same problem! So I am not alone... 

• yostopiayostopia Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I had the exact same thing happen today.  Did not use it outside, but just turned it on and it showed big yellow blobs. Here's a bad photo of them taken with my iPhone.  WTF? 
  • desivdesiv Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    VoodooDE said:
    Lol I don't have a big sun in my living room xD
    Of course I didn't use the Oculus Go outside...
    I suppose someone could ask you about Windows in your living room..  ;-)
    I've taken to covering mine, even in the house.  Paranoid.. ;-)  Think I'll get a case eventually.
    As for the game Overflight, I just installed it myself and have been running it and (knocking on wood), no issues so far...

Good luck..

desiv
  • roymuninroymunin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 21
    Oh no me too!!!! Any fix??
    (yellow smudge next to "see more")

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 1,958 Poster of the Week
    roymunin said:
    Oh no me too!!!! Any fix??
    (yellow smudge next to "see more")

Yeah, there's an easy fix.  Raise a ticket with Oculus support and beg.  If you're lucky they'll have pity on you, sun damage is due to not taking proper care of your device rather than a fault and therefore not covered by the warranty.
  • mikek1357mikek1357 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Might also be a glue issue? Search on google for yellow spots and lcd screen.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 24,708 Oculus Staff
    This is what looks like sun damage, and is not typically covered under warranty. However, you should reach out to us, as we may be able to assist in some way. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    I noticed on Thingiverse that there are already some 3D models for Go Lens protectors.
    Even tho I could print one, I think I'd prefer a softer insert than hard plastic tho.
    I've been mostly using the cardboard cover that came with my Go.
    I suppose I could print one and line the inside of it with something soft (felt or ?).
    I've ordered a case so I'll probably mostly be keeping it in that when not in use.
  • EispfogelEispfogel Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited May 22
    Are spotlights/studio lights enough to damage the screen? Or is this really something else going on with the screen?
    Even with an UV Laser(10mW) it is hard to damage the CCD/CMOS of a camera. Could the output of a spotlight really be enough to cause this?
    Brain Burst
    edited May 22
    Eispfogel said:
    Even with an UV Laser(10mW) it is hard to damage the CCD/CMOS of a camera. Could the output of a spotlight really be enough to cause this?
    It depends.
    Is that CCD behind lenses designed to focus light?  If so, what is the focal point?
    This issue isn't the lights hitting the LCD.
    It's the lights being focused thru the lenses and hitting the LCD.
  • EispfogelEispfogel Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited May 22
    desiv said:
    Eispfogel said:
    It depends.
    Is that CCD behind lenses designed to focus light?  If so, what is the focal point?

That is perfectly clear to me. Thats why i askd if even spotlights are enough to damage the LCD.

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 1,958 Poster of the Week

Eispfogel said:
    desiv said:
    Eispfogel said:
    It depends.

That is perfectly clear to me. Thats why i askd if even spotlights are enough to damage the LCD.

Probably, yes.  The time taken would likely be different, and depending how far away and the exact angle, etc.  any bright light source could do damage.  It's got to be bright enough to heat a point on the screen probably at least to boiling temp or more.

But you're less likely to leave it laying with a bright spotlight pointing at it and close enough to do damage vs just laying on a desk where light from a window can hit it 3 hours after you stopped using it, because the sun moved.
    Brain Burst
    I think some of it is time also.. With a camera, you might point it toward a shiny object for a period of time, but you aren't likely to leave it sitting, lens facing up at the shiny source for hours and hours.
    But if you lay your go on a ledge or something and walk away, it could be getting that for an extended period of time.