cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known bug? Oculus Go automatically turns on while charging? (Mod needed)

iBert
Explorer
Hello all,
i have my first day with the go and i really like it even when there are issues i don´t like. One of the issues is the device automatically turns on when i put micro usb cable in it. I do not know if this behavior is correct because when charging a phone or any other device it is not necessary the device is being powered on. So I don´t know if this is a bug or a (unwanted) feature. Before being charged the device was shut down using the power off button and confirmed with the go controller. After plugging in the usb cable the device automatically comes up. You can shut it down and the procedure repeats if the cable stays plugged in. If I am the only one with this issue i have to return the device. Otherwise this behavior maybe can be fixed with a software update ? Thanks for reading and replying
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Over night Mine lost around 1% from 59% to 58%.
@sanderbos Why not just turn it off if it is annoying you?
As for leaving it out on a table, personally I always leave my Rift and Go on a shelf that has low light levels for dust reduction on the lenses and remove any possibility of light damage.

edmg
Trustee

geebee666 said:

Over night Mine lost around 1% from 59% to 58%.

Mine was 100% charged when I left for work and 93% when I got home.

Maybe the VR fairies were playing with it while I was out.

gotgalf
Expert Protege
Yes, this is also annoying me.
I used the Go in the evening, until the battery was almost drained, then I switched it off, plugged it in and went to bed.
Got woken up  in the middle of  the night by the Go beeping, because it was starting.
This is rather dumb. The thing should stay off after being shut down.

Cyda
Protege
Oculus do need to change this, the device should stay off when switched off, it should never switch itself back on.

Frank_Leisten
Protege
I agree with all comments. I turn mine off and then charge all night and is very warm left hand side. Something is going on. 
Frank W Leisten
MSG, U.S. Army 
Retired

AnnoyedDragon
Protege
I became aware several times last night that the headset was making random noises, the strap was out of the way of the sensor so I'm not sure what was triggering it. It wasn't plugged in as it was already full charge, it was just sat on its own in standby which I thought was the preferred method given its tendency to stay on.

Eventually I decided enough was enough and told it to shut down.

iBert
Explorer
After a few days of experience with this issue I must say I totally hate the circumstance of a device which directs the user of staying alive. If someone states there is no reason to shut it down etc. he is maybe right at his/her point of view. If he wants to use the Oculus Go in this way he/she is welcome to do it but I want to shutdown this device without being forced by the devices "being always on" idea. This is an absolutely no go feature if a device directs the user whether being powered on or off. 

So please Oculus dev team fix this and let the user decide in any case if they want their devices on or off. I am sure this issue can be fixed with a software update. The device already has a hardware button for power on/off. Please let the device also shut down when its being charged. As you see this can be extremely frustrating to the user.

Thank you

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer
Personally, it's nice having all my updates and stuff done while it's charging. If you had it powered off while charging, this wouldn't get accomplished.

Putting it on my head and just being able to use it is convenient.

There's nothing stopping you from turning the device off after it's charged.

Frank_Leisten
Protege
But it heats up if I leave it on the charger without turning it off. 
Frank W Leisten
MSG, U.S. Army 
Retired

iBert
Explorer

Personally, it's nice having all my updates and stuff done while it's charging. If you had it powered off while charging, this wouldn't get accomplished.

Putting it on my head and just being able to use it is convenient.

There's nothing stopping you from turning the device off after it's charged.

Updates and downloads run in the background while i use the device. In case of bigger jobs nothing speak against leaving the device in powered on state. And if you want it powered on all the time its ok for me, but i don´t want. Why does it power itself on when the user has shut down the Oculus Go in case of charging ? What´s the reason ? The boot up of the device costs very little time... There is no need to have it always on ! 

As I mentioned above everybody feel free to use it at his own way. But turning a device off means the user want the device turned off. I slightly understand the "always on state" on low power devices but not on the Oculus Go