cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titans of Space CLASSIC with Developer Commentary

drash
Heroic Explorer

For those of you that have been around a long while, can you believe that Titans of Space is turning FIVE years old?

Thanks to WEARVR's Remastered Competition, I realized just how long it's been and that I have a lot to say about this.   My entry for the competition is therefore a lightly refurbished version of the very earliest public prototype released right here on these forums for the Rift DK1, nearly 5 years ago.   This experience supports Rift+Touch & your flatscreen monitor, and includes extensive 43 minutes of audio commentary spread across 37 different points of interest throughout the experience.

In the commentary I cover topics like:
  • Mistakes I made
  • Interesting feedback I received and then acted upon
  • The state of VR then vs now
  • How the extremely fast progression of solar system exploration caused various problems (a good problem to have!)
  • Inspiration for this and that
  • Never-before-revealed fun facts!

I've made this available at the WEARVR store HERE for a couple bucks.  If you haven't used the WEARVR site before, don't worry - this store is extremely straightforward to use:  quick signup -> PayPal -> instant DRM-free download. 

Also, I would like to recommend the brilliant "Welcome to Oculus Remastered", also recently listed at WEARVR for this same competition.  If you happen to remember that experience from the old days, I highly recommend this trip down memory lane.

Hope you enjoy it!

And as always, I'm open to suggestions or whatever's on your mind:
  • email: support (at) drashvr (dot) com
  • twitter: @Drash_VR
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
7 REPLIES 7

Luciferous
Consultant

I was around when the forum first started and Titans of Space on my DK1 dropped jaws on everybody I showed it to.  You are a real pioneer and a legend in my book sir. I honestly believe that Titans was one of the apps that helped launch VR to the position it is in today.

I loved those early days, it was such a small community and nobody had even heard of Oculus in those first couple of years. I loved showing people it and them saying, 'How is this possible? How come I haven't heard about this in the news?' .  I once took it to a pub (worked on modest laptops then) to show my friends and the entire pub wanted to see it.

When I got my DK2 the first app I tried was Titans and was immediately disappointed. Not with Titans but with the FOV decrease and just how much it had taken away from the experience. I felt so immersed in the DK1 despite the low res, the bigger FOV really transported you there. Seeing the possible FOV improvement of the CV2 really got me excited and as tradition dictates I will be trying Titans first.

Funny I was just thinking I had not seen you comment on anything for a very long time, when I spotted this post? Do you still use VR  a lot these days, outside of Titan development?  Edit : (Just spotted you added GO support in another post so guess you have been too busy 🙂 )

Really looking forward to trying it out and hearing the back story. 

drash
Heroic Explorer
Thank you @Luciferous, and that is too cool that you took this to a pub.  To this day I have never demoed VR to any kind of public venue, and I'm envious of everyone who has! 

And yes I have been busy -- #1 thing I've learned in the last 5 years has been to properly manage my time and stress level.   I still do VR development every day, whenever I have a spare moment, outside of spending time with my family, of course.

I dare not hope or expect a 140 degree FOV in CV2, but that would really be INSANELY INCREDIBLE, wouldn't it?  :smile:

brantlew
Adventurer
Titans was my very favorite thing for at least 6 months until it got forever dethroned by the greatest piece of VR content ever produced.  Dumpy! Going Elephants.  Where's the remaster for that?

Luciferous
Consultant
I think I remember that one, you had to knock things over with your trunk? It was like dumbo on crack.

drash
Heroic Explorer
I agree @brantlew, I was really hoping to see Dumpy pop up again.  And the "Lava Inc" coaster, and RiftRacer!

Hi @drash - will you be bringing your masterpiece to Quest?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Luciferous
Consultant

Seeing the possible FOV improvement of the CV2 really got me excited and as tradition dictates I will be trying Titans first.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong about the FOV 😞