cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*sigh* didn't like skyrim

Aekero
Heroic Explorer
even with recommended addons, it just looks old and flat to me, I had high hopes as I enjoyed the original game and it looked great in 2d, that and performance is surprisingly bad for the settings I was running (6600k, 1080).
Where's my long, vr adventure/rpg that was actually built for vr? I haven't even heard of one in the works, is there one?  I can only handle so many teleporting fps's and space locomotion proof of concept games. Even a quality racer that was built from the ground up for vr (I have dirt, and I tried that arm-swinging racing game), it feels like there are so many holes in genres. I get that some genres lend themselves to vr port easier, but what's to stop them from making like a flying mario kart type game? 
64 REPLIES 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
Things looking flat when viewed up close (as opposed to mountains and stuff in the distance) is down to normal/bump maps not working in VR. They can show micro detail but things like castle/house walls and stuff with large shapes defined by bump/normal maps look flat. You can get around this by using Bump Offset.

I've just been reworking some of my modular corridors because of this and added a few more polys. They're all still under 1000 polys though and they look much better than they did.  🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
@Aekero - I'm running the same CPU & GPU as yourself and have around 20 mods installed in SkyrimVR and have no issues with performance playing, nor does the world look particularly 'flat', accepted that the game doesn't have modern, cutting edge graphics, but is still pretty good (Lone Echo or even Robo Recall are both graphically very good but are much more modern) for a 7 year-old game.

Sorry that you didn't find it to your liking - particularly (like many of us) already owning the original and finding that the VR version was another 'full game' purchase.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you mod it with 4K textures and other eye candy mods it really is awesome, albeit a bit too flat in places lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand what is meant by flat - but it doesn't really effect my immersion or experience as I find the 3d depth effect to be pretty excellent. I am not even put off by the gamey scale of the world.

It isn't the greatest VR game of all time - it is Skyrim in VR which is just awesome even with all the inherent glitches still retained in the now 7 year old game that has been ported.

I am new to VR - so I am still in the way to impressed by it to be completely objective stage - but I have to say I really enjoy playing the older ports when they are actually ports, gives a completely different perspective on some of my favourite games. The 3d effect is great in VR for me and if it shows some of the flatness of the old graphics I do not mind one bit.

I definitely think there is room for both types of graphics in VR - and look forward to see more ports whether official like Skyrim or unofficial like Doom 3 or No One Lives Forever 2 in the years to come.

nrosko
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

I wouldn't say I'm shocked and awed.  It definitely does look old, but...It is old, it's a 7 year old game that's built on an engine that wasn't really that graphically exceptional even in 2011.

But it's still pretty damn good.

I have about 160 mods running, i think animations look dated but they looked dated on release, textures look good but takes some work to get the mods to work together & look consistent. Polygons are a bit low even with mods. But with all this it's one of the most jaw droppingly pretty vr games out there imo.

kzintzi
Trustee

Zenbane said:

@Aekero - I know what you mean about the "flat" look. I talked about this a bit in the big Skyrim thread on this forum. As another user pointed out, when you're looking at a mountain far away, it doesn't really look far away.

This is my main complaint about flat games ported to VR. Granted, back in 2016 when I was new to this version of "true immersion" VR, I was excited about anything and everything. Back then you could wrap an equirectangular JPEG of Outer Space around my head and I'd be like, "omfg I'm flying!"

Today though, it takes more effort to ensure my complete immersion. Not much effort, but the little things like "depth" and "presence."

When it comes to Depth and Presence, I'm not necessarily talking about hand-controllers nor full body tracking, but more in terms of the method used to bring the environment to life.

With SkyrimVR, I actually do enjoy it - even without Mods. The lack of environmental depth isn't enough to turn me off, and I plan to put in at least 100 hours over the course of the next 12 months. However, I do understand what others are talking about when describing the flat environmental assets.

I know this was an issue using VorpX, but I'd heard that it was better in Skyrim4VR? what about the skybox height? (not going to read the 100's of posts in the other thread about it - that'll learn me for going away for a few weeks :tongue: )

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kzintzi said:

I know this was an issue using VorpX, but I'd heard that it was better in Skyrim4VR? what about the skybox height? (not going to read the 100's of posts in the other thread about it - that'll learn me for going away for a few weeks :tongue: )

It definitely looks better than VorpX - part of that is due to moving from a game pad experience to a fully interactive (at least as far as combat goes) standing experience.

The scale is still a bit off - but just in the way that all games scale is a bit off. I find that my height and general immersion in the game environment for the most part feel right all the time.

For me it is 100% a must have title for the Rift - any minor issues with the graphics (ones I have had with every incarnation of Skyrim like stiff animation) are outweighed by the sheer amount of content that can be played through in a VR headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, it's the second best VR game available right now imo, narrowly beaten by the awesome Elite Dangerous. B)

cybernettr
Superstar

Aekero said:

even with recommended addons, it just looks old and flat to me, I had high hopes as I enjoyed the original game and it looked great in 2d, that and performance is surprisingly bad for the settings I was running (6600k, 1080).
Where's my long, vr adventure/rpg that was actually built for vr? I haven't even heard of one in the works, is there one?  I can only handle so many teleporting fps's and space locomotion proof of concept games. Even a quality racer that was built from the ground up for vr (I have dirt, and I tried that arm-swinging racing game), it feels like there are so many holes in genres. I get that some genres lend themselves to vr port easier, but what's to stop them from making like a flying mario kart type game? 

Maybe the problem is that you already burned yourself out on Skyrim years ago. The VR version is my first introduction to Skyrim and, after tweaking the settings to get the best visual quality, I am blown away by the scope and epic proportions of the game. I have a bunch of made-for-VR games that I have frankly not even gotten around to trying because I am so into Skyrim. It quickly replaced all of them and looks like one of those rare games that I will continue playing for years. I have even gone into some of the inns and had a real-world snack—yes, I have now eaten inside VR!!! I agree that VR needs more long-form open world games like Skyrim, and I think that as VR grows in popularity, that will happen. 

cybernettr
Superstar

Zenbane said:

@Aekero - I know what you mean about the "flat" look. I talked about this a bit in the big Skyrim thread on this forum. As another user pointed out, when you're looking at a mountain far away, it doesn't really look far away.

I haven’t noticed that about the game—the stereo effect looks as good as any VR game to me. Depth is harder to detect for far away things like mountains because your eyes are only a couple inches apart, and that’s not enough to notice depth for something as big and far away as a mountain. For such things, depth is indicated in a number of different ways, such as the haziness between you and the object, and Skyrim does a good job of this.