cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried Oculus Repair and it removes all your files and tries to re-install. It failed to install.
I think because either it is the new Win10 App & Features option of Allow Apps From Anywhere is required.
Anyway I got a hacked SSE4.2 cpu check Runtime. It installed but I still got blackouts. It surely is WIN10.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/36925/sse-4-2-undetected/p4

BTW when using a VRCover it stops your HMD sensor light coming on and so shows us that it is always set to ON.
A component overheat?

Support don't recommend this but it might be the solution yet...
*Wondering if the REGEDIT hack works by DisablingSelectiveSuspend whilst in some case it does not work if only selected in Power Management:
http://9b5.org/2011/10/windows-disable-usb-power-saving-disableselectivesuspend/

motorsep
Rising Star

hkarrson said:

I no longer get black screens anymore. Thanks Oculus! Whatever you did worked for me.

What Nvidia drivers are you using ?

mickt014
Honored Guest
Trying to run the setup in VR, when told to continue in headset only get black screen.
Win 10 1803 Nvidia GTX 1070 388.59

bignx5q9y18x.jpg

Win 10 64 bit, i7-6700k cpu @ 4.00 Ghz , 16 GB Ram, 1070 GPU

Anonymous
Not applicable
I now got even a boot record problem I'm trying to fix. WIN10 can not fix an mbr on the boot drive it is trying to boot from and even using a Repair CD from Win10 Control Panel>Create Repair Disc will not fix it. It's as though WIN10 Updates and loses a good track of it's permissions and login info as it goes. The last Updates made my USB Controller run too low power it seems too and if I get back in I will ROLL BACK USB controller driver. It has already physically broken my printer now in for repairs. It got a crash during BOXVR and this seems to have corrupted files which cause more problems.

Never a good idea to Update Windows. Instead it needs a fresh install and they should provide a means to install all you programs and licenses/passwords etc. to prevent a severe cause for stress and costs us time and money. Even then, I still have no idea if a new install will be able to reliably run Oculus until another crash messes it all up!

single66
Honored Guest
Hi,
I'm getting the following error when trying to use my Oculus Rift:

"You have a pending hardware issue that is preventing you from entering VR. Please check that your headset and sensor are connected."

However, on the Devices page everything looks fine. It shows that the headset and sensor are connected.
But on the headset I have a black screen and orange light.

When trying to launch a software using Steam VR, I get a more explicit message: "Headset not detected".

I noticed that this showed up for the first time AFTER a windows update done on my computer on may 10th. Since then I could not get the rift to work.

I also noticed that the following file (related to USB 3.0) was updated:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\USBXHCI.SYS that same day (may 10th).
Maybe this is a USB port issue?

Here are the logs I gathered (96 hours of history - problem started on may 10th in the afternoon):

Thank you for your help !

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK I found my Blackout Problem = kinked cable (not broken) just after the HMD clip. In my opinion and is very much obviously apparent, THE CABLE IS ROUTED BADLY!

It wasn't the socket but as I applied pressure on the badly kinked part it would go on/off which explains why it went off first when I looked up or right as that put the cable under much stress.

To fix this I routed the cable over the top of the headband and then it follows a much more direct path down my back. I fail to see why OCULUS did not do the same. In fact the path they chosen for a stiff cable will obviously ultimately not last long! I feel very strongly that they failed to test the best routing and is the very cause for the many Blackout Problems Users are having. In fact, if you route your cable directly to the left or right arms then it will be unavoidable to snag whilst enjoying for example BOXVR. However, it is just the shear weight on the cable being clipped so tightly at a sharp angle which is just no good whilst it has a power supply inside it!

OCULUS you do owe us a deal on replacement cables and be sure to update how these are to be routed from now on.

Here is the kink clearly but now routed in the best position because the extra slack points it down your back: -

91w9onrwatvh.jpgh38knlaxc6e2.jpg

Allebc
Explorer
Its almost a month since I purchased the Oculus rift and since May 6 (the day I last posted in here) my Oculus headset won't connect. I'm waiting on a solution with the support, but just gonna post here how thinks are until now so maybe someone can help or solve their problems too.
So... I have windows 10 pro v. 1803, updated my 1060 with nvidia drivers to the latest as requested (v. 397.64), already tried v. 388.59 but it didn't work too)
I have tried all combinations with hdmi to DP Adapter, tried switching ports and disabled the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” in all usb ports.
I tried in another computador and it still won't connect.
My Oculus software is updated to 1.26 and the two sensors always worked just fine!
In my Logs this error appears every time: " {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed."  But support haven't told me any solution about it.
I have sent support photos of my cables and they look fine but my problem looks really like this one video before it stopped working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZt7-C-e2s When I touched the cables or hold the headset it would disconnect.
 Windows really recognizes that something is up in the usb 3.0 port. The photo "Untitled-11" in attachment shows the Oculus headset is represented as "generic superspeed usb hub". I tried to remove but in the headset it keeps showing the orange light.
Anyway.... I will keep trying to test and search for more solutions until support respond me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Allebc all this needs is to install the Rift Driver found in:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
Else you have the common kinked cabled caused by the sharp angle by the clip. If the driver is not the issue try same as I did with above pics and make more slack for the cable then move the clip to the other side so the slack points the cable down your back. Even then if it is the cable being kinked, this must get replaces by Oculus Support before it causes further damage.

Gloozy
Protege
I had the same difficulty installing the damn pilot.
I realized by chance, by displaying the hidden devices of the windows device manager (Click on the View tab of the menu bar of the windows device manager and select "Show hidden devices") that several monitors appeared hidden (and, except for the Rift, I only have one monitor connected to the PC)

I deleted all hidden monitors via Device Manager in Windows 10, then rebooted the PC.

This finally allowed me to finalize the installation of the "Riftdisplay.inf" driver without getting an error.