cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR First Timer

haydon_sheppard
Explorer

Just received mine today and I have to say I’m disappointed. This is my first venture into VR and maybe my expectations were too high. I wasn’t expecting 1080 but visuals are grainy, pixels are noticeable and the text has a slight shimmer to it. Is this your experience or do I have a problem?

37 REPLIES 37

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
You can order the Go prescription lenses for the Go from Frames Direct https://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-go-virtuclear-prescription-lenses/

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be interesting to know what the virtual focal distance is for persons with good eyesight. Then I could have a pair of glasses made specifically for that distance.

chettawan
Expert Protege
I never try hi-end VR system like Rift or Vive before just only mobile VR. For me GO is AWESOME! Love it so much.

haydon_sheppard
Explorer
Anyone have any idea how you get the right spectacle prescription at an opticians if you’re wearing a VR headset?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm currently using ones that are typically described as computer glasses. Mine happen to be progressives, also known as varifocal or no line bi-focals. Only my midfield (straight ahead) view is in focus and I have to turn/tilt my head to see different parts of the scene in focus; not just my eyes. It just so happens that I am seeing my ophthalmologist tomorrow and I plan on taking the Go for him to see and getting him to recommend a prescription just for use with the Go. I'll update this post when I have his recommendation. I should probably mention that I also have fixed focus lens implants as a result of cataract surgery.
Update:
So today's visit to the ophthalmologist didn't provide any new information on this front. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. His best guess was distance vision but he felt that even then I would need to move my head to get the best focus. I'm not so sure.

I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription. I haven't decided yet how to proceed.

haydon_sheppard
Explorer
Thanks for the info.Maybe  I should have considered this issue before purchase. I currently have a support ticket ongoing with Oculus and have sent some screenshots through the lens but now feel the issue is not theirs but mine. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently using ones that are typically described as computer glasses. Mine happen to be progressives, also known as varifocal or no line bi-focals. Only my midfield (straight ahead) view is in focus and I have to turn/tilt my head to see different parts of the scene in focus; not just my eyes. It just so happens that I am seeing my ophthalmologist tomorrow and I plan on taking the Go for him to see and getting him to recommend a prescription just for use with the Go. I'll update this post when I have his recommendation. I should probably mention that I also have fixed focus lens implants as a result of cataract surgery.
Update:
So today's visit to the ophthalmologist didn't provide any new information on this front. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. His best guess was distance vision but he felt that even then I would need to move my head to get the best focus. I'm not so sure.

I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription. I haven't decided yet how to proceed.

Update 2:
I called the store where I purchased my glasses and discussed the process that they use to specify monitor or computer glasses. They use a calculation that modifies the distance vision specification/prescription based on the working distance requirment. I explained that in this case the working distance was virtual because of intervening optics but that with my existing monitor glasses straight ahead focus provided pixel level clarity. Using that data point the technician was able to calculate a non-progressive (single focal distance) lens specification. However, to cross check these values I went back to Frames Direct and asked them if they could tell me what the virtual working distance was for the Go. They told me that they didn't know that information. They use only the distance vision prescription and that I would have to get the virtual working distance info from Oculus support. So I currently have an open ticket with Oculus support asking for this info.

haydon_sheppard
Explorer
Great idea Voxelmaniam. I’ve been mulling this over. How would it be possible to get an accurate single vision prescription bearing in mind you are looking through a headset? Also you would need a WiFi connection at the opticians which is not always straightforward. I look forward to what they have to say. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update 3:
So I got a reply from Oculus support that referred me to the Frames Direct web page for the VirtuClear Lens Inserts.
My Inquiry:
I have fixed focus corrective lens implants as the result of cataract surgery. I want to order corrective lenses from Frames Direct and in order to provide them with the correct lens prescription I need to know the apparent/virtual working distance produced by the optics in the Oculus Go. I have spoken to Frames Direct and they told me that they didn't have this information and that I needed to contact Oculus support.
Oculus Support Reply:
DamienToday at 05:05
Hey Murray,
Your Optometrist should be able to tell you what you need for your prescription.
Perhaps bring the Oculus Go to your eye doctor will help.
Please let us know if you have any further questions. Click here for more details. They should be provide don the website.
Thank you,
Damien
Oculus Support
My Reply:
Hi Damien, 
As it happens I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist Thursday morning and I took my Go to show him and get his advise. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. 
As mentioned in my original inquiry, I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription and that I would have to contact Oculus support for information about the Go's optical working distance. 
The distance vision portion of my prescription is inadequate in my case because I have fixed focus implants and must use lenses that are tuned to the optical working distance of the Go because I can't change the fixed focus of my implants. The Go's optical working distance is needed to properly calculate the prescription for the FramesDirect VirtuClear Lens Inserts. 
Please escalate this inquiry to someone that can provide me with the optical working distance of the Oculus Go. 

So we will see if this gets any results.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I don't know about Go in specific, but Oculus Rift has a focal distance of about 1 meter to 1.5 meters, and I guess that Go is in a similar range. Meaning you would want glasses that help you read clearly at that distance. Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV