cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on new Oculus install....

SHADOWSEED
Explorer
Im installing oculus for the first time and i am stuck on "Installing...". Ive searched around for a solution, but nothing has worked. Ive tried:
Disabling anti-virus
Rebooting

I don't even get a OculusSetup.log file in my local app data folder (the install does not even appear to be creating a "oculus" folder!), so im stumped. Any suggestions ?

41 REPLIES 41

Nullbolt
Honored Guest
I am dealing with this issue myself. Oculus was working perfectly fine until I tried to play Elite Dangerous through the Oculus app. It usually ran fine, but my Oculus screen started to go black and not work seconds after starting the game up and not work again until I restarted my computer.. So I uninstalled everything. Now, I can't get the Oculus software to reinstall, it just hangs at 'Installing...' 

There is no Oculus software to uninstall in 'Add Remove Programs' through the control panel, but there is an Oculus folder. When trying to delete it, I get an error 0x80071A90 and can't get rid of them. So, I can't uninstall it and I can't delete it.. And I can't reinstall it.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you try stopping the Oculus service before deleting the files? You can do this in services.msc finding Oculus VR Runtime Services and right clicking and stopping.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Nullbolt
Honored Guest
I was able to finally delete the files, but the installation still hangs and wont finish

oGhosti
Explorer
Same issue here.
Man, I've had so many issues with oculus since owning one of these damn things. It's such an amazing piece of work, but honestly.. the software needs to be touched up a lot. It's getting ridiculous.. I was uninstalling Oculus using the uninstall.exe because SteamVR scuffed up their stuff as well. So I thought maybe reinstalling Oculus would do the trick.
NOW I have problems with the install getting stuck at 5.6 (or 5.7) / 5.8.
Come on...

I might have just found a solution actually. If I did, you guys need to hire me, this will be another thing I've found the fix to that you guys haven't figured out yet.(?). Haha (Joke btw)

oGhosti
Explorer
Okay, I did figure out the problem.
It has nothing to do with anti-virus. (Disable it just in case though, up to you.)

1. So begin the download with "OculusSetup.exe",install it in the C:\ drive.
  2. Once it gets to the point where it stops and never goes up, and what will definitely be forever.. Close the Installer. (Trust me, the files [or most of them] are already on your PC now.
  3. Now go to where it's installed to make sure.
    (Can skip this step.)
  4. Run "OculusSetup.exe" again.
  5. Wait. (Will probably take awhile, but it's locating all the files and WILL finish the "Download")
  6. Once it's begun finding all the files it'll look like it's downloading, it's not.
    (Unless you were at like 5.0GB out of 5.7GB)
    [You may have to repeat steps 1-4, but I only had to do this step-by-step one time]
  7. Once it's finished, it will say "Installing" on the bottom left. This will take some time, so go do something in the mean time. 🙂 (Took me about 5-10minutes.)
  8. A.) If you get an error saying there was an issue while trying to install Oculus, Close the installer. This is OKAY!!!
    B.) Restart your PC.
    C.) Run "OculusSetup.exe".
  9. Wait!! Repeat steps 5-7.
  10. Should be good to go hopefully! 🙂

I swear I should get a job involving troubleshooting of some sort. Lmao

Tikoi
Honored Guest
I have the same Problem but none of these Solution helped....

Anonymous
Not applicable
After the 1903 update; completely inop.  Tried all of the above steps to no avail.  Anyone else?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just looked at DASH LOG (hidden Users>****>AppData>LocalLow>Oculus>DASH) and it's a huge list of errors for my Blackscreen. I don't trust it downloaded all files as it was just 15mins rather than the usual 30 - 45 mins!

stickdude32
Honored Guest
Couple of weeks ago when my Rift S came in, it was working fine. (Albeit upgrading to windows 10 to use it)
Recently I tried playing it but normally when I put my hand in front of the sensor to turn it on, it doesn't work.
Opening the Oculus app gives me an error of "Can't reach Oculus service" and I tried the patch, reinstalling, repairing, doing all of those with my antivirus off as well as the firewall.
Nothing is working to get it running again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This and the Blackscreen issues seem to be either Updates with AV=ON or more likely a Windows Security Update we all had last week as they are the culprits that mess stuff up without any testing on gear.