cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

LZoltowski
Champion
So I have been keeping an eye on Oculus App Android downloads numbers, A week after launch it was at 10,000 now it's at 50,000 plus (this is not counting ios devices, damn you apple) .. I'm not saying that this is indicative of anything but nice to see it growing, esp that it has been out for only 2 and a half weeks and seems to be gaining buzz. (Not to mention increased number of new members on this forum, although I would not have expected huge numbers as Mainstreamers don't tend to hang in forums heh) Will be interesting to see numbers grow when the GO gets released in countries outside of the US (yes it's available at oculus.com) but it is nowhere to be found at other retailers, online or otherwise.

iyot0gycfe19.jpg

EDIT May 31st:

Now at 100,000
zk1m5a6m2fat.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
279 REPLIES 279

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Amazon.com features US sales FROM THAT SITE ONLY. It doesn't include sales from Oculus, it doesn't include sales from US retail stores and it doesn't include sales in the Far East or the rest of the world.

Not only that... but Oculus GO hasn't been on the market for a month yet! lol

Oculus GO has only been on the market for 20 days as of today. Yet now this thread has been derailed in to "monthly" sales analysis against the HTC Vive even though GO is still under 1 month old.

Today's baiting + derailing = Epic

And it's all nonconstructive rhetoric. The entire point behind this person's mission to bring up Amazon and intentionally twist what the Top Seller Rankings even mean... is to purposefully counter-point (and essentially attack) actual Oculus consumers in this thread who are discussing positivity amongst themselves.

If the Oculus GO sales fall short, or if the product flops entirely, then fine. Let's talk about that in a real way. But this incessant misdirection lost its humor the first 2 years.

How long is this behaviour going to be allowed to continue?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am not going to let this discussion be derailed by the usual
suspects - I am going to try and continue to discuss this no matter
their issues:

It is interesting that we have no real idea of the sales expectations for OGO from internally at OVR.
We also have no idea if this is seen as a alternative to GearVR or a complete replacement.
All these issues factor into the support that OGO will receive in marketing and promotion.

While the news that OVR will be adding paid DLC to the mobile store is also fascinating.

Regarding
the non-Western sales for the OGO, a inaccurate statement was
attributed
to a previous post that Xiaomi was only the manufacturer of the OGO (Mi
VR); in reality, along with manufacturing, the operation is using its
extensive China-retail arm to sell and represent the product and apps -
in a joint partnership over IP.

For me, the
lack of any substantive information on sales expectations of all but one

of the OVR brand (let alone numbers from HTC) are a telling indictment
of the difficulty that establishing this phase of VR has run into.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It is not logical to claim that Vive vs GO comparisons on Amazon are "relative" because Amazon themselves has made it clear that they are not:

While the Amazon Best Sellers list is a good indicator of how well a
product is selling overall, it doesn't always indicate how well an item
is selling among other similar items. Category and subcategory best
seller lists were created to highlight an item's rank in the categories
or subcategories where it really stands out.

We choose a few of
the most popular subcategories in which the item has a high ranking in
relation to other items in that subcategory, and showcase the item's
rank on the product page. As with the main Amazon Best Sellers list,
these category rankings are based on Amazon.com sales and are updated
hourly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=525376

Continuously spamming the thread insisting on the exact opposite of what Amazon themselves claim is very much antagonistic.

As for the issue with Oculus not releasing sales numbers... they are far from alone in this matter. There are many industries that do not release actual figures. Yet representatives from those industry still publicly proclaim that they are thriving.

Oculus is a private company owned by the publicly traded Facebook. Oculus is not obligated to release sales figures since they are in fact a private entity. That's just the law.

Sorry kevin you'll have to excuse me calling out bad behaviour but please don't let that stop you talking on-topic.

Atmos, yes I've unignored you because I believe bad behaviour should be called out for the benefit of the forum and ignoring hasn't stopped your behavoir in any way.

What exactly do you mean by 'relative as mentioned earlier'? no-one was making relative comparisons to the Vive until you did which was my point.

I repeat, the thread was created to discuss sales figures for the Go, as per the title. I have no idea what your opinion of whether they're figures or indicators has to do with anything.

As I say I am not going to ignore your posts as I believe it's important to call out bad behaviour when I see it for the benefit of the forum.

My logic is fine, I'm asking you to behave, what has understanding Amazon sales figures to do with that?

Edit: I've called you out for posting to an agenda on several occasions which is why I assume you're trying to say I have one. Please explain what agenda you think I have. I'd be happy to compare posts... as in number of baits, derailments and the amount of bias contained within.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Sorry kevin you'll have to excuse me calling out bad behaviour but please don't let that stop you talking on-topic.

No apology needed @DaftnDirect - if that is your
bag, then I am not going to dictate to you. I just think that its a
little bit like "feeding the dilemma", rather than just moving on. I don't
pretend to be a moderator, or a champion of justice, just someone that
like the discussion, and not the "mass-debating" some enter into.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Atmos, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT AMAZON !!

I'm talking about you continually posting pro-Vive, pro non-Oculus, anti-Oculus comments. How difficult is this to understand?

Edit, Kevin I have many bags, don't assume I've got a thing about arguments, I absolutely hate arguments. Almost as much as I hate someone entering my home and telling my how much better their home is, which is what this feels like. It absolutely doesn't feel like open debate as he's claiming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

The agenda here is to jump on posters who post alternative indicators, thoughts, predictions, input.

The agenda here is to discredit information that contradicts the fanboy narrative.

If people don't want to believe Amazon so be it, but why believe anything else? They're either all good or all bad.

Did you read the Reddit link I posted on the first page of this thread? That person's estimates are based on DOWNLOADS OF THE OCULUS GO APP. There are NO estimates based on Amazon US sales for reasons that have been made quite clear.

The 'information' you have posted has been discredited because IT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the discussion, for reasons also made quite clear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT AMAZON !!

I'm talking about you continually posting pro-Vive, pro non-Oculus, anti-Oculus comments. How difficult is this to understand?

Edit, Kevin I have many bags, don't assume I've got a thing about arguments, I absolutely hate arguments. Almost as much as I hate someone entering my home and telling my how much better their home is, which is what this feels like. It absolutely doesn't feel like open debate as he's claiming.

Oh no you don't!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvcnx6-0GhA

B) 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I believe Amazon, especially when they say this, "While the Amazon Best Sellers list is a good indicator of how well a
product is selling overall, it doesn't always indicate how well an item
is selling among other similar items. Category and subcategory best
seller lists were created to highlight an item's rank in the categories
or subcategories where it really stands out."

The one who doesn't want to believe Amazon is the one who keeps insisting that the Oculus GO and HTC Vive sales are relative to each other on Amazon's Best Seller list. But they are not. According to Amazon. That is a fact. According to Amazon. I believe Amazon.

The reason that the forum was baited today with this HTC Vive on Amazon's Best Seller list is specifically and intentionally stemming from someone's need to portray the future of Oculus GO sales as falling short. They are trying to claim that GO and Vive sales are "relative" in a way that would prevent GO from selling well, since the Vive will only sell so many and apparently (due to imaginary relativity), GO is solely dependent on Vive's ability to sell.

And while it may turn out true that GO will sell less than anticipated, nothing about Amazon's Best Seller list indicates that whatsoever.

The fact that this is the same person who has used Amazon's Best Seller list against other Oculus products in the exact same incorrect manner (intentionally ignoring how Amazon describes the Best Seller inner workings); which is highly tiresome behavior.

I'll read what I chose to read.. and comment as necessary.

Edit: thanks for the Monty Python sketch snowdog, I needed that