cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

LZoltowski
Champion
So I have been keeping an eye on Oculus App Android downloads numbers, A week after launch it was at 10,000 now it's at 50,000 plus (this is not counting ios devices, damn you apple) .. I'm not saying that this is indicative of anything but nice to see it growing, esp that it has been out for only 2 and a half weeks and seems to be gaining buzz. (Not to mention increased number of new members on this forum, although I would not have expected huge numbers as Mainstreamers don't tend to hang in forums heh) Will be interesting to see numbers grow when the GO gets released in countries outside of the US (yes it's available at oculus.com) but it is nowhere to be found at other retailers, online or otherwise.

iyot0gycfe19.jpg

EDIT May 31st:

Now at 100,000
zk1m5a6m2fat.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
279 REPLIES 279

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Enjoy yourself, LZ!

It seems that everyone in this discussion could tell when our heated debate started getting too close to that "off the rails" mark. I was pleasantly surprised to see all of us "usual suspects" pulling back once we got too close to that line.

Thanks for the leniency on letting everyone express concerns/views! Just another day on the world's best VR Forum.
❤️

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey boys and girls, I'm off on holidays until the end of May, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, keep it civil, heated debates are fine just don't name call each other or be unkind to others. 🙂 Ill sleep better.

Hmmmm...while the cat is away!!! 😛

Yes, I just name called you a cat. Pleasedon'tbanmepleasedon'tbanme B)

falken76
Expert Consultant
I'm surprised it's so popular.  I would never buy one, it's like a baby's toy compared to the rift when it comes to gaming.  Is the selling feature it's media capabilities with the better screens?  I'd like it as a media device if the screens are a lot better than rift, but I hate having a box strapped to my face to watch media so I'd probably never use it.  I tried it on Rift and it felt uncomfortable to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

I'm surprised it's so popular.  I would never buy one, it's like a baby's toy compared to the rift when it comes to gaming.  Is the selling feature it's media capabilities with the better screens?  I'd like it as a media device if the screens are a lot better than rift, but I hate having a box strapped to my face to watch media so I'd probably never use it.  I tried it on Rift and it felt uncomfortable to me.

Yup. I see it as primarily a media device myself. If I'm remembering correctly the Xiaomi Mi Store is chock full of media stuff in the Far East.

I'm not interested in getting one either because gaming is the main priority for me personally, although I do watch the footy and films in the virtual cinema in Virtual Desktop quite a lot.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

I'm surprised it's so popular.  I would never buy one, it's like a baby's toy compared to the rift when it comes to gaming.

A smart phone is a babies toy compared to a PC. Do you have both a PC and a smart phone?

GO is a VR Device, and VR is more than just a gaming platform. GO does really well in this regard. Plenty of articles online showcasing the value of MobileVR outside the realm of gaming.

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

falken76 said:

I'm surprised it's so popular.  I would never buy one, it's like a baby's toy compared to the rift when it comes to gaming.

A smart phone is a babies toy compared to a PC. Do you have both a PC and a smart phone?

GO is a VR Device, and VR is more than just a gaming platform. GO does really well in this regard. Plenty of articles online showcasing the value of MobileVR outside the realm of gaming.

I'm taking mine with me for the long plane journey, I have found myself playing the GO more during weekdays rather than the Rift, I can just chillax and get comfy in bed and play something casual, rather than strapping in Ready Player One style into the Rift. GO is soooooo comfortable compared to the Rift especially for people with large heads like mine, the Rift is too tight on my temples for longer VR sessions, the GO's foam face interface is like a cloud hugging you, and the visual clarity makes it perfect for watching videos.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Nice, LZ.

All GO owners should check out this video for great travel gear, including getting 14 hours of additional playtime.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
Yup. I see it as primarily a media device myself. If I'm remembering correctly the Xiaomi Mi Store is chock full of media stuff in the Far East.

I'm not interested in getting one either because gaming is the main priority for me personally, although I do watch the footy and films in the virtual cinema in Virtual Desktop quite a lot.

Yes, you memory is correct. The Far East approach seems to focus on the media side.
I have to agree that after longer evaluation, the limitations as well as the benefits of the OGO seem to point to it as a premier immersive video/media player - with a limited interactive VR component.

Again, the question of where it sits between those that have already acquired a GVR, and those looking to break into high quality VR that may think this a solution - have yet to be answered. Christmas will be fun.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:
Please present some evidence of this. I support & want Oculus to do well & have no regrets on my purchase in fact i do not ever recall saying wish i had purchased a Vive.

I did provide evidence. You are the same nrosko who posted this, right?

emu514d1zz2v.png

I'm not going to keep quoting it; you can see it just fine.

Again, that's your right and if the Rift failed you as a product then your anger is understandable. But make no mistake, you and I have butted heads many a times because of your strong sentiment against anything that puts Oculus products in a good light. Whenever I talk about an Oculus Game that I enjoy, instead of addressing the topic you'll instantly get personal with either myself (e.g. calling me a "shill") or the community in general (like calling everyone a "blind" fanboy in this thread).

nrosko said:
We want to know how well Oculus Go is doing & if it is the popular product it hopes to be. If that Amazon sales chart was accurate then it might give an indication of how well its doing. 

You aren't answering the question though. Do you believe that HTC Vive sales on Amazon are relative to the Oculus GO sales? Do you believe that Oculus GO sales are limited to HTC Vive sales due to their "relativity?"

Because that's what you're defending in this thread.

How is a post of me asking if anyone regretted selling an Oculus for a Vive proof of being on an anti Oculus crusade for over a year? That was posted when Touch was released i do believe & it had various tracking issues on release, I was fed up & frustrated with all the issues & having to return the rift twice. Most issued where resolved apart from the colour banding & black smear which is still my biggest frustration with the product & apparently Vive didn't have the banding issues & god rays are not as bad. I wondered if you even bothered to read the whole thread you linked b4 your hyperbolic accusations. 
Again please post evidence of where i have strong sentiments againsts anything that puts Oculus in a good light. Also again where I have accused everyone of being a blind fanboy itt? And i guess i'm not the only one who thinks you are an Oculus employee https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/51875/zenbane-palmer-luckey/p1 😄  

I'm not defending his statement again with the strawman, i'm asking why people are getting so upset over it & being somewhat hostile towards him. I personally can't answer whether the sales relative as i don't know how the Amazon charts works hence me saying 'if' the sales charts accurate. I frankly don't really care it's just a bit of interesting info to me.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

nrosko said:
Again please post evidence of where i have strong sentiments againsts anything that puts Oculus in a good light. Also again where I have accused everyone of being a blind fanboy itt? And i guess i'm not the only one who thinks you are an Oculus employee https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/51875/zenbane-palmer-luckey/p1 😄  

I'm not defending his statement again with the strawman, i'm asking why people are getting so upset over it & being somewhat hostile towards him. I personally can't answer whether the sales relative as i don't know how the Amazon charts works hence me saying 'if' the sales charts accurate. I frankly don't really care it's just a bit of interesting info to me.

Look @nrosko - I understand your frustration and perplexity with the comments.

I would advise that you do not let yourself get baited into a long and pointless diatribe with those trying to pull you in.

There have been many complaints and pure frustration with the positing
style and its best to just ignore and move on - we expect to see some
changes in the moderation style when the vacations are over, so its best
not to get pulled down. Let's not allow this to become a personality
contest - let's get back on topic.

Returning to the subject - how will the OGO impact the GVR scene - is it a companion or a replacement?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959