cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

LZoltowski
Champion
So I have been keeping an eye on Oculus App Android downloads numbers, A week after launch it was at 10,000 now it's at 50,000 plus (this is not counting ios devices, damn you apple) .. I'm not saying that this is indicative of anything but nice to see it growing, esp that it has been out for only 2 and a half weeks and seems to be gaining buzz. (Not to mention increased number of new members on this forum, although I would not have expected huge numbers as Mainstreamers don't tend to hang in forums heh) Will be interesting to see numbers grow when the GO gets released in countries outside of the US (yes it's available at oculus.com) but it is nowhere to be found at other retailers, online or otherwise.

iyot0gycfe19.jpg

EDIT May 31st:

Now at 100,000
zk1m5a6m2fat.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
279 REPLIES 279

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:.

ha, ha - such a joker @snowdog.

But seriously, Samsung did release only recently a
new GearVR to take their new larger phone - so there seems to be a
president. I would wonder with some 3m+ GVR's rumored to be in the
market would be surprised if a corporation would just walk away from
that installed base, unless they have no interest to continue the
partnership with OVR... for whatever reason?

Now don’t go bringing politics into this!  😉

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

nalex66 said:

kevinw729 said:.

ha, ha - such a joker @snowdog.

But seriously, Samsung did release only recently a
new GearVR to take their new larger phone - so there seems to be a
president. I would wonder with some 3m+ GVR's rumored to be in the
market would be surprised if a corporation would just walk away from
that installed base, unless they have no interest to continue the
partnership with OVR... for whatever reason?

Now don’t go bringing politics into this!  😉

Ha! correceted - thanks.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

He did say 'especially'. Meaning not necessarily EVERYBODY.

I do not have a problem with you not owning a Rift or a Go

I should probably clarify my position on that since it was brought up in this thread (by someone else) earlier, and I mentioned it afterwards lol

I'll put my explanation in a Spoiler tag to avoid further derailment.

When I first received my Rift in April 2016, I expected to arrive at a Private Forum. The Rift itself is a gateway to a private environment. The Oculus Friends list does not extend beyond any non-Oculus Products. You can't link your OH Friends list to your Steam Friends List, for example.

Oculus gave the impression that Rift owners are part of an exclusive club, and I welcomed that. If I wanted an open air flea market experience, I would have gone Vive and Steam. But that appeals to me not at all.

When I arrived here, not only was I surprised to find such an open environment on the "official" forum of a closed system, but I was shocked to see how many of the Interweb's trolls were allowed to just hang out here and poop on your doorstep.

In both my personal and professional opinion, the forum gave a bad first impression for a first gen consumer product of an emerging technology. The forum's tone and demeanor did not match the sophistication of the Rift and its Exclusive closed environment.

As time went on, my desire to see this forum become "exclusive" grew moreso due to the ongoing trolling from those who can't be bothered to invest in the same product line as the rest of us. Instead of spending $200 on Oculus GO, they would rather make 200 posts about how this community is clueless of what true quality VR entails. Instead of spending $400 on a Rift, they would rather make 400 posts about how the Rift is inferior and all things Oculus are doomed to fail.

Considering the amount of time and money that both Facebook and Oculus require from consumers of their hardware and software in this volatile market, I do believe that it is their responsibility to provide just as much of an "exclusive" experience on their official forum as they do when we wear a Rift or GO.

Or maybe I'm just being high maintenance. Whatevs
❤️

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Becoming a new artform in Japan:

td2n3jdiidst.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Wanting to avoid further trolling and baiting doesn't make anyone self-righteous, it makes them sensible. Wanting to move beyond the same pointless console war rhetoric isn't self-righteous, it is intelligent.

Just because someone has an old demo Kit and buys a piece of Oculus Software to use with a Third Party Hack like Revive doesn't give them free license to troll an entire community of consumers who want to be here.

When someone has proven for nearly 3 years in a row that the only reason for being here is to tell the community that their products are inferior, then that individual clearly has no other intention other than to troll/bait/derail.

kevinw729 said:

Becoming a new artform in Japan:

td2n3jdiidst.png

Like it, I noticed in the pic on the train earlier, one of them had a shiny yellow wrap.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

DaftnDirect said:
Like it, I noticed in the pic on the train earlier, one of them had a shiny yellow wrap.

Noticed that too - seems a real missed opportunity for customization,
but it seems that the OGO launch has been low key, with no real
peripherals or other merch (at this time) - as if they wanted to play it cool to start
with. Or this is as some people call it a new direction after GVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Back on Topic,

Here's an article that uses the same numbers as LZ (Android) and concludes between 100k and 200k for Oculus GO sales. This is far more accurate using realistic indicators.

Note that the article still puts the sales numbers in a bad light, and compares it to something far more realistic than warping the meaning behind Amazon's Best Sellers list.

To set up Oculus Go, you use the companion app on your iPhone or Android phone...  The Oculus Go app for Android is currently in the 50K - 100K downloads category... So taking the 50K-100K number for Android and doubling it to account for iPhone, we get 100K - 200K Go's sold already.

Less than 200,000 is not nothing, but it's lagging from the initial forecast from top industry analyst SuperData, which predicted 1.81 million units sold for 2018. Hardware sales are typically strongest in the first few weeks and then remain flat until the holidays -- so Oculus Go's holiday season will need to see a miraculous sales spike, to meet that forecast.

By point of contrast, here's what sales of highly desired consumer hardware products focused on delivering 3D interactive content looks like:
    •    Nintendo Switch sales, first month on the market: 2.74 million units
    •    Nintendo Switch sales, first nine months on the market: 10 million units
    •    Xbox One sales, first 10 months on the market: 7 million units
    •    Playstation 4 sales, first 11 months on the market: 13.5 million units

I would like to point out that my own prediction of GO selling 2-million units by the end of 2018 was pure guesswork, and I think it's pretty cool that SuperData came up with a similar estimate, at 1.8 million.

kevinw729 said:
DaftnDirect said:

Noticed that too - seems a real missed opportunity for customization, but it seems that the OGO launch has been low key, with no real peripherals or other merch (at this time) - as if they wanted to play it cool to start with. Or this is as some people call it a new direction after GVR.

mmm I've always thought that low key product launches tend to encourage critical favour. Something to do with human nature encouraging the withdrawn individual with hidden talents.

Whoever's responsible for ads on Google please take note... I've just bought trainers on-line (having not looked at any ads) and now am getting bombarded with ads for trainers. So annoying.

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:

How is a post of me asking if anyone regretted selling an Oculus for a Vive proof of being on an anti Oculus crusade for over a year?

Is that really all your post says? Do I need to circle the parts you keep intentionally ignoring?

That post alone isn't proof, I talked about other evidence, but I'm not going to start quoting everything since anytime I do that to someone it does come across as a personal attack. Besides, it doesn't seem that quoting you does any good since you keep pretending that the stuff being quoted doesn't exist.

nrosko said:
And i guess i'm not the only one who thinks you are an Oculus employee 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/51875/zenbane-palmer-luckey/p1

Don't get too excited. That's my buddy @elboffor and he does that on purpose because he knows how much I dislike Palmer. elboffor is also on my personal Facebook friend's list; so don't think you found someone who actually believes I am on the Oculus payroll
😄

nrosko said:
I'm not defending his statement again with the strawman, i'm asking why people are getting so upset over it & being somewhat hostile towards him.

You most certainly did defend his statement when you entered this thread with the following:
No idea why people get there knickers in twist over Atmos73 posts. I'd
don't find his vive bias any more grating than the blind oculus bias.

You are blatantly referring to his using of the Amazon Top Seller list as "the same vive bias as the blind oculus bias." And in that sense, you are defending his argument that GO sales can't sell in the millions because... according to a wrong interpretation of Amazon's Top Seller inner workings, GO sales are relative to Vive sales.

Why are people upset? Well because Atmos has repeatedly used Amazon as a weapon against the forum by intentionally portraying Amazon sales as an "accurate all encompassing" sales figure for Oculus. Every time he does it, multiple Oculus consumers try to provide a counter-argument that reminds him that Oculus sales take place on multiple storefronts, including Best Buy and Oculus.com. Yet he intentionally ignores all of that and instead jumps to new threads to start the debacle all over again.

Furthermore, Atmos intentionally turned the conversation in to a "GO vs Vive" debate which most certainly has nothing to do with this topic. It's beyond Apples-to-Oranges and a blatant topic derail.

People are tired of being intentionally ignored and baited with monotonous rhetoric. And now you are trying to pretend that you don't understand the issue, and you won't even address it directly after I've asked you repeatedly. Probably because you know his argument makes no sense and want to avoid saying it out loud lol

I'll ask again to see how often you'll keep avoiding it:

Do you agree that on a global scale, regardless of the store being used, that Oculus GO sales are limited to HTC Vive sales due to 'relativity'?

I personally can't answer whether the sales relative as i don't know how the Amazon charts works

Then how do you know that the bias is the same as the "blind" Oculus bias? In fact, how can you know which bias is blind and which is more grounded in facts? LZ started this thread with a bias that is grounded in facts (actual Android download figures). Those figures include all storefronts that sell GO.

Atmos tried to counter with a single store, which intentionally ignores all other stores. And he also intentionally misrepresented how Amazon's chart works. You claim to not know, yet it has been quoted repeatedly in this thread. I'll gladly post it again:

While the Amazon Best Sellers list is a good indicator of how well a
product is selling overall, it doesn't always indicate how well an item
is selling among other similar items. Category and subcategory best
seller lists were created to highlight an item's rank in the categories
or subcategories where it really stands out.

We choose a few of
the most popular subcategories in which the item has a high ranking in
relation to other items in that subcategory, and showcase the item's
rank on the product page. As with the main Amazon Best Sellers list,
these category rankings are based on Amazon.com sales and are updated
hourly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=525376

Do you think that any sale indicators on Amazon are a strong indicator of how sales are doing with other stores?

B)

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:

How is a post of me asking if anyone regretted selling an Oculus for a Vive proof of being on an anti Oculus crusade for over a year?

Is that really all your post says? Do I need to circle the parts you keep intentionally ignoring?

That post alone isn't proof, I talked about other evidence, but I'm not going to start quoting everything since anytime I do that to someone it does come across as a personal attack. Besides, it doesn't seem that quoting you does any good since you keep pretending that the stuff being quoted doesn't exist.

nrosko said:
And i guess i'm not the only one who thinks you are an Oculus employee 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/51875/zenbane-palmer-luckey/p1

Don't get too excited. That's my buddy @elboffor and he does that on purpose because he knows how much I dislike Palmer. elboffor is also on my personal Facebook friend's list; so don't think you found someone who actually believes I am on the Oculus payroll
😄

nrosko said:
I'm not defending his statement again with the strawman, i'm asking why people are getting so upset over it & being somewhat hostile towards him.

You most certainly did defend his statement when you entered this thread with the following:
No idea why people get there knickers in twist over Atmos73 posts. I'd
don't find his vive bias any more grating than the blind oculus bias.

You are blatantly referring to his using of the Amazon Top Seller list as "the same vive bias as the blind oculus bias." And in that sense, you are defending his argument that GO sales can't sell in the millions because... according to a wrong interpretation of Amazon's Top Seller inner workings, GO sales are relative to Vive sales.

Why are people upset? Well because Atmos has repeatedly used Amazon as a weapon against the forum by intentionally portraying Amazon sales as an "accurate all encompassing" sales figure for Oculus. Every time he does it, multiple Oculus consumers try to provide a counter-argument that reminds him that Oculus sales take place on multiple storefronts, including Best Buy and Oculus.com. Yet he intentionally ignores all of that and instead jumps to new threads to start the debacle all over again.

Furthermore, Atmos intentionally turned the conversation in to a "GO vs Vive" debate which most certainly has nothing to do with this topic. It's beyond Apples-to-Oranges and a blatant topic derail.

People are tired of being intentionally ignored and baited with monotonous rhetoric. And now you are trying to pretend that you don't understand the issue, and you won't even address it directly after I've asked you repeatedly. Probably because you know his argument makes no sense and want to avoid saying it out loud lol

I'll ask again to see how often you'll keep avoiding it:

Do you agree that on a global scale, regardless of the store being used, that Oculus GO sales are limited to HTC Vive sales due to 'relativity'?

I personally can't answer whether the sales relative as i don't know how the Amazon charts works

Then how do you know that the bias is the same as the "blind" Oculus bias? In fact, how can you know which bias is blind and which is more grounded in facts? LZ started this thread with a bias that is grounded in facts (actual Android download figures). Those figures include all storefronts that sell GO.

Atmos tried to counter with a single store, which intentionally ignores all other stores. And he also intentionally misrepresented how Amazon's chart works. You claim to not know, yet it has been quoted repeatedly in this thread. I'll gladly post it again:

While the Amazon Best Sellers list is a good indicator of how well a
product is selling overall, it doesn't always indicate how well an item
is selling among other similar items. Category and subcategory best
seller lists were created to highlight an item's rank in the categories
or subcategories where it really stands out.

We choose a few of
the most popular subcategories in which the item has a high ranking in
relation to other items in that subcategory, and showcase the item's
rank on the product page. As with the main Amazon Best Sellers list,
these category rankings are based on Amazon.com sales and are updated
hourly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=525376

Do you think that any sale indicators on Amazon are a strong indicator of how sales are doing with other stores?

B)

Can you please circle the parts i have intentionally ignored.  

The post in summary is had/having a lot of hardware issues & looking options to sell it for Vive & asking for opinions on if any one else made mistake doing this. I then go on to describe what my issues are. Kinda funny that you seem so offended by this.
Your vindictive interpretation of that is that of your own imagination.
I'm actually starting to think you may in fact be an AI zenbot on here judging by your nonsensical reasoning.
How you have managed to interpret me saying his bias isn't any more grating than the Oculus bias in this forum is apparently defending a specific statement he has made is one only an AI bot like yourself can explain.
I would maybe try pressing reset and processing this thread again.
I personally like to hear from both sides that does not mean i agree with what they are saying.
Regarding shitposting, you pretty much do the same things he does but for anything that's positive for anything Vive related including Steam only games. I guess Lucky programmed you himself for that. 

The very fact that you seem oblivious to your own blatant Oculus bias is some pretty funny shit.

Ok so the question you keep insisting i agree with Atmos73 despite me never agreeing that he is right & repeatedly asking the same thing despite giving you several answers that i just don't know or care.
Just for you & to avoid your systems to crash i will put some effort in.

Zenbot:
Me
I don't understand your question does not compute. I do not agree with Atmos73s idea you can work out the number of sales total.
But the charts are interesting to me regarding US sales because Amazon is a big store & thus a sizable sample.
I would expect that if the GO is to be a success in the US that it should be at the top.

Zenbot:
Me
Sale indicators on Amazon (which i assume are weekly sales)are just that & obviously they are only an indication of how its doing in the store.