cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebVR Roller Coaster

yaderio
Explorer

I've created a WebVR virtual reality roller coaster demo for Oculus. It also should be compatible with the HTC VIVE,  Samsung Gear VR, Google Daydream, and Google Cardboard. 

I don't have an Oculus headset to test with, so any feedback on how it runs on your headset would be appreciated.

Project can be found at: https://vrrollercoaster.app
8 REPLIES 8

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Hi there!

I just tried this on my Oculus GO, which has had some of the best WebVR experiences to-date. I've been dabbling in WebVR and A-Frame since 2016, and GO is a godsend for ease-of-use.

Anyway, your roller coaster App seems like it is off to a great start. However, it was very 'choppy' throughout the ride. Looking around doesn't work too well since there is a lot of screen 'jitter' and 'breakage.'

Not sure how to remedy that though. I've experienced this before with WebVR apps built in Unity. Is that what you're using?

yaderio
Explorer
Hi Zenbane,
Thanks for the feedback! I am happy to hear that it works on the Oculus GO. I apologize for it being choppy, would you say that it looks like the issue could be a low frame rate? 
And yes indeed, I used Unity3D to build it with Mozilla's new WebVR asset on the asset store.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I wouldn't imagine that it is a frame rate issue, because I've had the same problem with other Unity based WebVR experiences. And those were fairly static; such as one experience where you're standing in a desert near an animated fire.

There's just something about Unity's WebVR implementation that causes a lot of choppiness.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
I tried this as well.  For the most part it worked well.  A little bit of choppiness but not bad.  Most sections ran smooth for me.  It did take me a two tries to get it started though.

Thanks for posting the link.

yaderio
Explorer

I tried this as well.  For the most part it worked well.  A little bit of choppiness but not bad.  Most sections ran smooth for me.  It did take me a two tries to get it started though.

Thanks for posting the link.

Thanks for trying it! Have a great day!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried it on my Rift in Firefox, and fired up the HUD using OTT to see the framerates. Mine were usually <45, occasionally in places jumping higher but also dropping down to 0.

Changing the Firefox performance option to use the maximum available processes:

9uqlncjeooio.png

Improved the result immensely, providing a much smoother experience and generally higher framerate, usually not <45. Also tried it with ASW off, which may have had a small effect.

I don't have the best VR performance machine, so others probably will have even more positive results.

yaderio
Explorer

Remmer_G said:

I tried it on my Rift in Firefox, and fired up the HUD using OTT to see the framerates. Mine were usually <45, occasionally in places jumping higher but also dropping down to 0.

Changing the Firefox performance option to use the maximum available processes:

9uqlncjeooio.png

Improved the result immensely, providing a much smoother experience and generally higher framerate, usually not <45. Also tried it with ASW off, which may have had a small effect.

I don't have the best VR performance machine, so others probably will have even more positive results.

Thank you for posting this tip to improve frame rates for WebVR, the default Setting in Firefox is only set to 4!

VR_Games
Honored Guest
Very cool! WebVR is great because you don't have to download anything!
WebVR.Space - Web VR Space Experiment
VRCoaster.app - WebVR Roller Coaster Ride