cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Oculus Go Display broke after installing a game!

VoodooDE
Explorer
Hi guys, 

Thomas here from the german VR YouTube channel VoodooDE. 
Today my brand new Oculus Go is already broken. The left display shows some yellow areas. I don't know if that has something in common with that, but I installed the game Overflight (got the key for a review from the devs). The game downloaded to 100% and then tried to install. Installation didn't work and stayed at 0% and just after that the display showed this yellow errors.
I already did a factory reset but this didn't help... 
I already opened a support ticket and I really hope I will be the only one with this problems otherwise Oculus will have a problem... 
Here are two examples:
https://imgur.com/a/4RWq0ca

Anybody else with this issues? 
Regards 
Thomas 
37 REPLIES 37

mikek1357
Explorer
Might also be a glue issue? Search on google for yellow spots and lcd screen.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is what looks like sun damage, and is not typically covered under warranty. However, you should reach out to us, as we may be able to assist in some way. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

desiv
Expert Protege
I noticed on Thingiverse that there are already some 3D models for Go Lens protectors.
Even tho I could print one, I think I'd prefer a softer insert than hard plastic tho.
I've been mostly using the cardboard cover that came with my Go.
I suppose I could print one and line the inside of it with something soft (felt or ?).
I've ordered a case so I'll probably mostly be keeping it in that when not in use.

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Are spotlights/studio lights enough to damage the screen? Or is this really something else going on with the screen?
Even with an UV Laser(10mW) it is hard to damage the CCD/CMOS of a camera. Could the output of a spotlight really be enough to cause this?

desiv
Expert Protege

Eispfogel said:

Even with an UV Laser(10mW) it is hard to damage the CCD/CMOS of a camera. Could the output of a spotlight really be enough to cause this?

It depends.
Is that CCD behind lenses designed to focus light?  If so, what is the focal point?
This issue isn't the lights hitting the LCD.
It's the lights being focused thru the lenses and hitting the LCD.

Eispfogel
Expert Protege

desiv said:

Eispfogel said:

It depends.
Is that CCD behind lenses designed to focus light?  If so, what is the focal point?

That is perfectly clear to me. Thats why i askd if even spotlights are enough to damage the LCD.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Eispfogel said:

desiv said:

Eispfogel said:

It depends.

That is perfectly clear to me. Thats why i askd if even spotlights are enough to damage the LCD.

Probably, yes.  The time taken would likely be different, and depending how far away and the exact angle, etc.  any bright light source could do damage.  It's got to be bright enough to heat a point on the screen probably at least to boiling temp or more.

But you're less likely to leave it laying with a bright spotlight pointing at it and close enough to do damage vs just laying on a desk where light from a window can hit it 3 hours after you stopped using it, because the sun moved.

desiv
Expert Protege
I think some of it is time also.. With a camera, you might point it toward a shiny object for a period of time, but you aren't likely to leave it sitting, lens facing up at the shiny source for hours and hours.
But if you lay your go on a ledge or something and walk away, it could be getting that for an extended period of time.

th3rdcoast
Honored Guest
I'm pretty sure it's the controller or the gaze dot. If you just take the mask off and put it down without turning it off and you place the controller next to it, the point/dot doesn't move and eventually "burns" the screen. I'm guessing that there is no fix for it... like old monitors that used to get images burned into them. If this is true, it's very disappointing because this can happen even when you think you've turned the unit off, like in my case... I turned it off, put the mask and controller in my bag to travel... the unit "wakes" when the controller is tapped... so I think it burned without me even knowing. 

lenne0815
Adventurer

I'm pretty sure it's the controller or the gaze dot. If you just take the mask off and put it down without turning it off and you place the controller next to it, the point/dot doesn't move and eventually "burns" the screen. I'm guessing that there is no fix for it... like old monitors that used to get images burned into them. If this is true, it's very disappointing because this can happen even when you think you've turned the unit off, like in my case... I turned it off, put the mask and controller in my bag to travel... the unit "wakes" when the controller is tapped... so I think it burned without me even knowing. 

Following that logic the whole screen would burn in, not only the controller dot. LCD burn in isnt a thing since more then a decade. The pic op shows is clearly sun damage, there are multiple warnings on the hmd to avoid that.