cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

LZoltowski
Champion
So I have been keeping an eye on Oculus App Android downloads numbers, A week after launch it was at 10,000 now it's at 50,000 plus (this is not counting ios devices, damn you apple) .. I'm not saying that this is indicative of anything but nice to see it growing, esp that it has been out for only 2 and a half weeks and seems to be gaining buzz. (Not to mention increased number of new members on this forum, although I would not have expected huge numbers as Mainstreamers don't tend to hang in forums heh) Will be interesting to see numbers grow when the GO gets released in countries outside of the US (yes it's available at oculus.com) but it is nowhere to be found at other retailers, online or otherwise.

iyot0gycfe19.jpg

EDIT May 31st:

Now at 100,000
zk1m5a6m2fat.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
279 REPLIES 279

snowdog said:

kevinw729 said:

It’s on sale in the UK direct from Oculus.  I’ve seen no advertising for it though not even on Facebook itself which is surprising really unless they are waiting for more experiences/apps to become available.  Definitely needs apps like NetFlix, Prime and Sky UK (or even Flixster) to allow you to download movies as they do for IOS devices.  I’m sure it will come just a pain having to wait..

Agree that it is surprising - I moderated at the VR World conference in London yesterday, and on and off the show floor there was a lot of consternation at the lack of any collective support in marketing or promotion from OVR or FB. There were the usual suggestion of the "coming soon killer app" that would start the process, or the "waiting till Christmas" suggestion - but both did not hold water. Especially with the news of the Samsung/HTC AR/VR system in the wings, and the price drop expected on the Focus. Possibly OVR is waiting on their own major price drop to make the OGO a "must have" entry level VR system?

The same could be said of the Rift too regarding marketing, although wasn't there a Rift advert at the Super Bowl or something?

Generally though the marketing for VR devices has been pretty minimal, even for PSVR.

The various companies may just have very conservative predictions of number of units that they'll sell (compared to many other tech items), geared their manufacturing plants to suit those numbers and figure that advertising just won't push that figure much.

No matter how good a VR device is... I'm not sure it's escaped the 'for the enthusiast and the curious' category of devices just yet, at least in the eyes of many people. Go may be pushing that image but I think it'll still take time.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
The same could be said of the Rift too regarding marketing, although wasn't there a Rift advert at the Super Bowl or something?

That was an ad for the GearVR I believe:

Facebook doesn't really have to spend much on advertising yet. Although it seems that they 'should' if they want to mass adopt quickly. My spidey senses tell me that they expect VR to hit those billions "organically" whereas mass ad campaigns is highly artificial.

Case in point, Mark Z. just has to say something about the Rift and it reaches his current follower base which is currently: 110,956,284 people

Over 100 million followers is a decent starting point for organic growth.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Generally though the marketing for VR devices has been pretty minimal, even for PSVR.

I would have agreed with you, but in reality I think the VR community is
too close to the source to see the impact of the publicity - there was
that Samsung investment in GVR, including the pivotal Ostrich
commercial, and the follow on in Asia. There was the BestBuy and MS
store stuff and also the push by OVR with their VIP lounge for retailers
and marketing.

VR marketing is needed to help "manage the
message" that NateM promised countless times OVR would be investing in at
this point - to not invest at this point of launch of their mobileVR
hardware seems a wasted opportunity - especially as the company needs to
distinguish between its mobileVR, stand-aoine and high-end PC to avoid
confusion and disappointment.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's misinformation to say that Samsung gave away "half" of the amount sold:
  • Sumsung GearVR sold over 5 million units globally
  • The biggest estimate of "free" GearVR units is 1 million during a global promotion
  • 1 million is not half of 5 million

Also, if Samsung "gave away" so many Gear VR's, then that means GO is actually selling "more than" GearVR; based on the basic understanding of how "selling" and "giving away for free" works.

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

Atmos73 said:

No, no, no. I posted rankings, he posted rankings.

He posted ranks and said that the ranks do not
indicate sales numbers; you posted ranks and said that they do indicate
sales numbers. You spent 3 pages defending that fact. Are you really
going to spend another 3 pages re-explaining it? lol

nrosko said:
Forget it Zenbane is totally blind to his own bias.

nah, I'm just immune to trawls.

You also seem to have forgotten that you also disagreed with Atmos' use of Amazon Rankings to determine sales figures. Yet you blindly champion his cause anyway. You seem immune to quite a few things, like consistency and relevance and smarts in general.

I'm championing his right to have an opposing opinion without being attacked, of course you are forever obtuse. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:
I'm championing his right to have an opposing opinion without being attacked, of course you are forever obtuse. 

Yet you started your participation in this thread with an attack and have continued to make personal attacks in worse ways than Atmos was ever attacked. The irony of you using the word "obtuse" is one of the many things lost on you in this conversation.

It's a bit crazy that you frown upon Oculus 'bias' on an Oculus forum yet you chearlead so hard for Vive Bias on the same forum. The fact that you're chearleading Atmos despite you fundamentally disagree with his position in this debate is an added bonus.
😄

nrosko
Superstar
Maybe VR is a difficult thing to make look attractive through advertising. Maybe they are happy just to build things up slowly & naturally by word of mouth friends & family trying vr ect. I am surprised it is so restricted in the UK I do not understand why its not going on Amazon for a wider market. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

nrosko said:

Maybe VR is a difficult thing to make look attractive through advertising. Maybe they are happy just to build things up slowly & naturally by word of mouth friends & family trying vr ect. I am surprised it is so restricted in the UK I do not understand why its not going on Amazon for a wider market. 

Someone on the Oculus sub-Reddit said that retail stores in the UK and Europe are getting Oculus Gos to sell in July apparently, so Amazon UK will be included in that I would have thought.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Someone on the Oculus sub-Reddit said that retail stores in the UK and Europe are getting Oculus Gos to sell in July apparently, so Amazon UK will be included in that I would have thought.

Yep, the July 'rumor' is slowly becoming less rumor. A spike in GO sales is en-route.

Time to repair the train tracks in preparation of Atmos' Amazon screenshots from his smartphone. nrosko, make sure you don't wear out those pom pom's in one thread. July is gonna be a big month for them!
😛

Yep, I'd be very surprise if the likes of John Lewis didn't start stocking it at some point soon. I think that's when I'd have to give it a try.