cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go will die without a good motion controller solution...

Scaramoosh
Protege
 I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 
30 REPLIES 30

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 

It sounds like you need something like the Rift instead. I wouldn't jump the shark and claim that GO is going to die without motion controllers lol. Afterall, GearVR functions the exact same way and sold over 6 million copies. 

I have the GO and the Rift, and I find them both to be splendid devices for their uses.

If you don't want to spend the extra money on a PC that can power the Rift, then you may want to wait a few more months for the release of the Oculus Santa Cruz. It's a stand-alone similar to GO, but with motion controllers.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

GO was a GearVR replacement and probably about 12 months too late. Launching GO and Santa Cruz so close together is a mistake imo.

GO is not a GearVR replacement; it has never been marketed as such. In fact, it has been marketed as the opposite.

12 months too late makes no sense since you yourself have often (and recently) stated that VR isn't selling very well. You even proclaim that "half of the Gear VR units were given away for free." Based on all your previous statements, there's obviously a huge market (hundreds of millions of consumers) for the Oculus GO.

Also, HTC did the same thing (you do own a Vive, remember?) by recently launching their own version of GO: Vive Focus. Do you think HTC is 12 months too late with Vive Focus?

Launching GO and Santa Cruz close together makes no difference since they target completely different groups of consumers. Refer to Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon as great examples of multi-tiered product offering organizations.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Vive Focus and GO and similar in many areas. Each has pro's and con's over the other:

Regardless of the similarities and differences, the point is that they are both in the same market: Stand-Alone headsets. So if GO is too late to the market, then so is everyone else.

Although the fact that VR is still selling low globally (10's of millions instead of hundreds of millions) is a very strong indicator that no one is "too late" to the VR market. Not to mention that both versions of GO are on Amazon's top rankings (and one version is tagged as an Amazon Choice Product). These are not hallmarks of something that is too late to the market.

While it's overall impact on the market is still yet to be seen (it's entirely possible that it could undersell after a year), for now GO has been very well received; with high praises from Engadget and a perfect 10/10 score from Tom's Hardware.

The Oculus Go is the most convenient and comfortable VR headset ever made. That might sound like hyperbole, but it's well deserved.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html

Oculus Go Standalone VR Headset Review: Convenient VR For The Masses

Santa Cruz will have some touch competition since indeed Vive Focus is currently on the market. The difference will likely come from the Storefront experience. Vive Focus is tied directly to HTC's "VivePort" which has been struggling for years; whereas SC will be tied to Oculus Home - a storefront with growing success and award winning titles.

2018 will be an interesting year for VR.

Scaramoosh
Protege
The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one. I’ve give it to people at work to try this morning and they all say it sucks. It all comes down to the controller being so limiting. 

I know this this myself because I own a Rift and it’s the motion controls that make it. I own a PSVR as well and even those move controllers are enough to make you feel immersed. 

Without motion controls, it’s not VR IMO. Tbh it’s possible for GO to get them released separately, there is no limiting factor there other than them wanting to get initial cost down. 

I also wish’d It was USB C and not Micro frigging USB.

That feeling of being able to have two hands in the game is amazing. It’s what sold me on VR with the Rift Touch controls, it is 100 percent necessary as the screen and lenses are...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one. I’ve give it to people at work to try this morning and they all say it sucks. It all comes down to the controller being so limiting.

According to the reviews, online posters, and YouTube... it seems to be impressing some people. Maybe not everyone, but certainly more than "no one."

The people you claim to have given GO to say that it "sucks" due to the controller? So these are people who must have tried VR before from a higher level platform then, right? Like a Rift, or Vive, or PSVR, or WMR?

Because it isn't very believable that someone who has never tried VR before would believe that GO sucks due to a lack of hand-controllers. How would they know the difference if they never tried VR in the first place?

GO can't track controllers in the way you are describing. Asking for it repeatedly isn't going to make the headset suddenly sprout sensors. You are obviously not the proper consumer for GO; so either wait for Santa Cruz or invest in any other competitor products that actually have the tracking you seek.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

I know this this myself because I own a Rift and it’s the motion controls that make it. I own a PSVR as well and even those move controllers are enough to make you feel immersed. 

Without motion controls, it’s not VR IMO. Tbh it’s possible for GO to get them released separately, there is no limiting factor there other than them wanting to get initial cost down. 

I also wish’d It was USB C and not Micro frigging USB.

That feeling of being able to have two hands in the game is amazing. It’s what sold me on VR with the Rift Touch controls, it is 100 percent necessary as the screen and lenses are...

Interesting perspective. Everyone I have spoke with love their go esp for the cash
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

Just wait for Santa Cruz and pretend GO never happened. 

The problem is price. Go is £200. This puts it in impulse buy territory for little Jimmy's mum for a birthday present etc who know little about vr. I also would not be surprised if it drops another £50 when SC comes out.
SC OTOH is going to be what.... £400, £450?. For that wedge most people I think would need to know a bit about vr rather than jump in blindly on a whim. 
I expect most of us here would prefer an SC over a Go.... But we are not really the target for the go (and yet despite that some rifters have STILL gotten one and are happy with it, which imo is a shining endorsement indeed).
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

we are not really the target for the go (and yet despite that some rifters have STILL gotten one and are happy with it, which imo is a shining endorsement indeed).

Exactly. Rifters across multiple outlets openly talk about how pleased they are with the Oculus GO as a companion device. This week, for example, I've been using my GO more than my Rift because work has been kicking my butt - and during busy weeks I can't justify going full "Enter Rift." But it's crazy fun and easy to jump in GO for a quick session between meetings or during coding breaks.

I do agree that the OP is clearly looking for a Santa Cruz since he wants all-in-one with tracked-controllers. Despite the OP's doomsday rhetoric, he is a shining example of the fact that there are 3 consumer markets for the Facebook-Oculus VR product-line:

edmg
Trustee

The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one.

It's impressing me, and I also own a Rift and a Vive. I've used my Rift for about an hour since the Go arrived last Monday, because the Go display is better and it's far more convenient to use.

I've been surprised by how well it works with only  3DOF controller. My only real complaint so far is the constant need to recharge it.