cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go will die without a good motion controller solution...

Scaramoosh
Protege
 I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 
30 REPLIES 30

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

edmg said:

The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one.

It's impressing me, and I also own a Rift and a Vive. I've used my Rift for about an hour since the Go arrived last Monday, because the Go display is better and it's far more convenient to use.

I've been surprised by how well it works with only  3DOF controller. My only real complaint so far is the constant need to recharge it.

This vid has a good recommendation for a charger to give a good 14 hours of extra playtime:

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 

Why in the world would you EVER buy a GO when you require a 6DOF system?  There is a plethora of information in this forum very specific to the GO's capabilities and the targeted use cases.  Not to mention countless online reviews and youtube vids showing the device and explaining everything it can and can't do.

If you didn't do proper research prior to your purchase, you can only blame yourself and not the device.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one.

Its ease of use, low price, and built-in browser (including private mode) make it ideal for consumption of web-delivered VR media of all types.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Au contraire. I for one am impressed (being a VR newbie, absolutely green). I like the Go and honestly I would not have bought it if it were more expensive. 

burning_airline
Expert Protege

It's impressing me.  I, like the rest of the masses, have never used a Rift or any other modern VR headset.  All of them are too expensive to even consider.  And I'm never going to set up sensors in my TV room.  The Go is a blast if you accept it for what it is:  a new kind of video game console.  Don't think of it as Rift-light.  Think of it as an improved Virtual Boy.

NeloDiavolo
Protege
The statement that it impresses no one should read it did not impress you or your coworkers. I was impressed at the higher resolution and improved comfort over my Rift (glasses). The convenience of portability means that I can do casual VR tasks from my couch. I did not miss the full tacking controllers at all. The missus really enjoyed it and she's tried both VR devices. Recently I showed the Go to my buddy who's never put on a VR headset before, not even cardboard, and it blew his mind!

For the price the Go does not need full motion as it's just a tool to get VR to the masses. It's a casual experience and the single controller is easy to pickup and Go. *bad pun intended*

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
Oh yeah well I put the Go on my cats head and she didn't pur! So obviously it sucks! Oh wait I don't have a cat. =/

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Do your co workers have other VR devices? I ask because most people who haven't experienced VR in some form are usually always fascinated by it. People I've spoken with in chat apps always seem well impressed by the Oculus GO. If they included the controllers it would become Santa Cruz and will cost more money. Oculus Go is the entry level to a VR experience..

edmg
Trustee

Oh wait I don't have a cat. =/

I keep meaning to buy that 'virtual cat' game, too :).

Scaramoosh
Protege

edmg said:

It's impressing me, and I also own a Rift and a Vive. I've used my Rift for about an hour since the Go arrived last Monday, because the Go display is better and it's far more convenient to use.

I've been surprised by how well it works with only  3DOF controller. My only real complaint so far is the constant need to recharge it.

The Go display is not better... what are you smoking? The Rift is a lot clearer, anything off axis is still in focus and there is no chromatic effects... which with the Go, anything not in the middle is blurry and has that chromatic rainbow effect. 

Also the Go is really uncomfortable thanx to the crap strap, it doesn't follow your head movements properly, all videos have a weird scale because it doesn't know where you are. 

The Xbox One controller doesn't work with anything and the controller packed in sucks.

How does anyone think this thing is good? It's not even worth 99, let alone 199.