New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My oculus rift is screwed..

BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
Nexus 6
The left side stopped producing sound. The worst part is, it's not a problem in the left ear piece, but with the headset itself, because I have swapped the two ear pieces, and the left side yields no sound whichever earpiece is attached to it, whereas the right side always produces a sound.

It is one and half years old, so no more warranty. I have submitted a ticket to support. 

Fxxk...

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,156 Valuable Player
    They do sometimes offer people a refurbished Rift for $250 when Rifts have problems out of warranty, but tbh anyone doing this would be better off just spending an extra $150 and getting a new one imo.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    the ribbon probably started to tear in the headset, which is also providing a lead to the LEDs on the back of the headset.  Is it still able to track properly?  I'd probably switch the audio to the PC speakers, or just use a separate set of headphones.  Do they make wireless headphones?  They probably do.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    Switch to headphones while you work things out with Support. Good luck, buddy!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Thanks guys.

The first email from Support asked for the serial numbers and the purchase receipt. I guess in the end they'll offer me to buy a refurbished set. It would be a fair offer, but I'd rather wait and spend the money on Gen 2 headset. Meanwhile I'll just use a separate pair of wireless headphone. I have a spare pair anyway.

The good news is that the Mrs has agreed to a day-one purchase once the next gen is out. Now it cannot come soon enough! (Do you hear me, Oculus?)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,049 Volunteer Moderator
    I would continue with Support even if you don't plan to buy a replacement. Sometimes they'll offer you a free replacement even if you're a little beyond the warranty period.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Nexus 6

Final reply from Oculus.

Hi GQ,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

After looking things over, I noticed that the Oculus Rift was shipped to Singapore. This actually limits our support options regarding warranty replacements. This is due to the fact the warranty for the product is tied to the original country of purchase. As it was purchase through Amazon.com it would be tied to the USA with a 1 year warranty.

As Singapore is a country that Oculus is currently not authorized to sell or ship to, support is unable to facilitate a any kind of replacement.

We are looking to expand the number of countries we can ship to, but we do not have a set time frame on when Oculus products will be available to you in your region.

Since you purchased your Rift through a Amazon, I would recommend reaching out to them to see if they have any additional options available to assist you.

Thank you for your understanding,

Fry
    Oculus Support

I guess that's it. I am stuck with a separate pair of headphones... End of story.

• blanesblanes Posts: 1,096
    3Jane
    My Rift developed this exact same problem, luckily for me still within warranty, so I got a new replacement.  Reading the forums though I noticed this problem is extremely common which does lead you to think it was some sort of design flaw or latent problem just waiting for opportunity to manifest - it is far too common really as you should expect the lifespan of headphones to be far beyond 1 or 2 years.  
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    I know for a fact that the cable routing to the clip is bad design. Obviously it bends the cable at a sharp angle as it is directed to your PC in front of you. The clip is also sharp and does not have a moulding around the cable to prevent wear & tear but rather it digs into it on a knife edge! 

For me I find the better path (to get my faulty kinked cable to work) is to route it above the head band to the right side and move the clip there, leaving more slack to not kink and it directs the cable down your back. This feels best in actions games like BOXVR & ONWARD.

Even if the clip was a moulded swivel type it would still kink the cable in that left position. A clip should have been designed to be on the rear strip where that name tag is. In fact you could cut that loop and tape the cable in that!

Also, I think you can cause damage if not storing the Rift very well which would NOT bend the cables on a desk or inside a draw. You need a proper holder. I use a Cosmos Headphone Stand which I am happy with.

A new cable is now in transit from Netherlands to UK. Thanks Oculus Support ;)

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I know for a fact that the cable routing to the clip is bad design. Obviously it bends the cable at a sharp angle as it is directed to your PC in front of you.
    If you have a 360° setup it might be easier to just turn around.
    Wintermute
    If you got 360° setup you should be routing your cable upwards and again the position of the daft clip is not allowing a good design to allow for the movement without abrasion by that daft clip.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,778 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I know for a fact that the cable routing to the clip is bad design. Obviously it bends the cable at a sharp angle as it is directed to your PC in front of you. The clip is also sharp and does not have a moulding around the cable to prevent wear & tear but rather it digs into it on a knife edge! 

For me I find the better path (to get my faulty kinked cable to work) is to route it above the head band to the right side and move the clip there, leaving more slack to not kink and it directs the cable down your back. This feels best in actions games like BOXVR & ONWARD.

Even if the clip was a moulded swivel type it would still kink the cable in that left position. A clip should have been designed to be on the rear strip where that name tag is. In fact you could cut that loop and tape the cable in that!

Also, I think you can cause damage if not storing the Rift very well which would NOT bend the cables on a desk or inside a draw. You need a proper holder. I use a Cosmos Headphone Stand which I am happy with.

A new cable is now in transit from Netherlands to UK. Thanks Oculus Support ;)

I thought the Ribbon cable people had problems with was built into the things that spring out on the sides of the Oculus Rift to allow it to adjust to your head? That cable your talking about in the pic is not the ribbon cable, is it?
    Wintermute
    All of your sound and vision is inside that one cable so any pinch obviously affects either or both. Of course there is a ribbon cable within the frame too to the speakers. All moving parts have wear and tear. You can clearly see the bad design in that clip. I even have video proof of this going off the 2 times I press at the kinks but MP4 cant be attached here. Surely they want us to use the equipment and move around so why this bad routing and bad clip. A potato could do the job much better.
    To be honest I've never had a problem with where that cable is situated and I would find it rather uncomfortable sat on the top of my head like you have it. 
    Wintermute
    Nah, it has slack. Cables don't like bends.
    Lots of cables have bends they are designed to bend..
    RedRizla said:
    To be honest I've never had a problem with where that cable is situated and I would find it rather uncomfortable sat on the top of my head like you have it. 

Agreed. I've had my Rift for 2 years now; it's been through a lot of movement:
    • Slam Dunk competitions (VR Sports Challenge)
    • Fast-Paced shootouts (Dead & Bured)
    • Full 360 frantic movements (Sprint Vector, Knockout League)

I don't even have a ceiling mount yet and the cable has given me zero issues.
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    The combined HMDI & USB is clearly stiff and not designed to twist nor bend at sharp angles. Add to it the bad clip design with sharp edges plus all the twisting that the cable will go through and you get many users as is happening needing replacement cables. The ribbon is a moving part also and that too is wear & tear. Oculus acknowledge this plus the connecting pins around the head set can also wear loose. If any User here that does not have a problem yet then feel blessed but why bother saying "well mine is ok". I just see way too much nonsense which is against helping people with problems which others share. Or carry on a grovel and praise be to the holy cable and its designers of the mighty clip!

The evidence is in the pic which shows the kinks the clip made. It looks seriously a lot worse in life. I really wish I could show you the 2.5mb video of the fault too but you can't.

Fender make Gel Guitar Cables designed to bend easy which have no memory in their moulding. Try wriggling your cable into a tight bend and twist it lots and see how that goes (don't!)
    edited May 2018
    There seem to be less people having problems than those without problems. The number of Rifts sold is easily over 1-million; and the number of cable problems specific to this issue seems numbered in the dozens. Even if it were numbered in the 'hundreds' it is still a fraction of the total Rifts used to-date. So logically, and mathematically, it is not that those of us without issues are "blessed," it is simply that those with issues have a bit of bad luck.

When someone has an issue it's best to just work to resolve it; why bother acting like "my issue is a global event." Exaggerating an issue can also be seen as "nonsense which is against helping people with problems."

And if you don't like reading comments from people without problems, remember... this is how freedom of speech works. lol
    Wintermute
    Some dudes love to take a post and talk as if it's the only one that has that solution. As usual trying to put it into a numbers game they think they know. Oculus at first wanted my Rift. There is clearly nothing wrong with the Rift. Numbers is just a safety precaution. The first ever time I asked help from Support they said I must buy a new PC. It works brilliantly.
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Some dudes love to take a post and talk as if it's the only one that has that solution. As usual trying to put it into a numbers game they think they know.

You introduced the numbers game when you said, "If any User here that does not have a problem yet then feel blessed."

It seems you just didn't realize numbers were involved in that statement. Besides, my comment was to another poster since I was confirming that my experience was similar to theirs. You shouldn't get emotionally invested when you see other people speaking.
    Wintermute
    Well thanks for all your help!
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    According to my SPECULATION, there are three possible causes to the audio malfunctioning:

1. Sweating. The malfunction happened the day following my completion of Superhot VR. I did not turn on the air conditioning while playing the game, and the amount of sweating was unprecedented. Superhot VR is such a cool, addictive and physical game, I simply could not put it down until I was through it.

2. Pressing the back of the Rift against the wall. That was what I did when I lied down on my back to play Invisible Hours (a few days before the malfunction happened). Since the wires connecting the audio and the LED at the back go through this part, it is quite likely that too much pressing may dislocate the wires there. However, the back of the LED seems to be working fine, since the tracking is still flawless.

3. Twisting of the cable. I have been playing Onward and Payday 2 VR quite a bit recently, which required me to do a lot of turning, which in turn twists the cable. It could be the reason, too.

But as I have said, this is nothing more than my speculation. 
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,276
    3Jane
    To prevent excess cable twisting in 360° mode : On Steam they have this application called "TurnSignal". But it only works on Steam.

Wintermute
    In the long run it could be cheaper for Oculus to dish out Wireless Device Upgrades. My cable lasted 2yrs.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,550 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    "Wireless" cost in the upper 200 to 300 ranges with the current HMD. Future HMD is going to cost even more as wireless can't keep up. In the long run - it'll be cheaper to send out cables than it would be to support wireless as a feature. Also, yes, I 've had my CV1 from day one as well and can't say I've had any issues with it. Other than my own mistakes and known problems with my computer - I've had zero problems with the CV1. It does make me wonder if people are just harder on them than others - but hard to say without seeing how someone taking care of the device in the first place.

Warranty is the way to go if you did take care of it and it happen. The CV1 is getting older though - hopefully we will start to see new news on CV2. Other wise, I would just make a deal with Oculus and see if you can get a fix up model for cheaper.
    Wintermute
    The new cable they send is also under Warranty. Like I say, in the long term they are better giving us wireless tech.
    edited May 2018
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    The new cable they send is also under Warranty. Like I say, in the long term they are better giving us wireless tech.
    That makes no sense xD? Do you mean wire tech?
    Wintermute
    It's English with comprehension. You see, the parts they send out as replacements also come under Warranty. Just say the cables needed replacing every year. That's say 5yrs which is cost factory price of getting us Wireless Tech instead and solves the problem of bad design flaws with excessive wear & tear.
    Wireless cost almost 300 times of what a cable would cost them or you - and the warranty doesn't update - 
    Mradr said:
    Wireless cost almost 300 times of what a cable would cost them or you - and the warranty doesn't update - 

Math is hard for some lol