cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My oculus rift is screwed..

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
The left side stopped producing sound. The worst part is, it's not a problem in the left ear piece, but with the headset itself, because I have swapped the two ear pieces, and the left side yields no sound whichever earpiece is attached to it, whereas the right side always produces a sound.

It is one and half years old, so no more warranty. I have submitted a ticket to support. 

Fxxk...
56 REPLIES 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you got 360° setup you should be routing your cable upwards and again the position of the daft clip is not allowing a good design to allow for the movement without abrasion by that daft clip.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

MAC_MAN86 said:

I know for a fact that the cable routing to the clip is bad design. Obviously it bends the cable at a sharp angle as it is directed to your PC in front of you. The clip is also sharp and does not have a moulding around the cable to prevent wear & tear but rather it digs into it on a knife edge! 

For me I find the better path (to get my faulty kinked cable to work) is to route it above the head band to the right side and move the clip there, leaving more slack to not kink and it directs the cable down your back. This feels best in actions games like BOXVR & ONWARD.

Even if the clip was a moulded swivel type it would still kink the cable in that left position. A clip should have been designed to be on the rear strip where that name tag is. In fact you could cut that loop and tape the cable in that!

Also, I think you can cause damage if not storing the Rift very well which would NOT bend the cables on a desk or inside a draw. You need a proper holder. I use a Cosmos Headphone Stand which I am happy with.

A new cable is now in transit from Netherlands to UK. Thanks Oculus Support 😉

6qjldgo8mamq.jpg

I thought the Ribbon cable people had problems with was built into the things that spring out on the sides of the Oculus Rift to allow it to adjust to your head? That cable your talking about in the pic is not the ribbon cable, is it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
All of your sound and vision is inside that one cable so any pinch obviously affects either or both. Of course there is a ribbon cable within the frame too to the speakers. All moving parts have wear and tear. You can clearly see the bad design in that clip. I even have video proof of this going off the 2 times I press at the kinks but MP4 cant be attached here. Surely they want us to use the equipment and move around so why this bad routing and bad clip. A potato could do the job much better.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
To be honest I've never had a problem with where that cable is situated and I would find it rather uncomfortable sat on the top of my head like you have it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah, it has slack. Cables don't like bends.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Lots of cables have bends they are designed to bend..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

To be honest I've never had a problem with where that cable is situated and I would find it rather uncomfortable sat on the top of my head like you have it. 

Agreed. I've had my Rift for 2 years now; it's been through a lot of movement:
  • Slam Dunk competitions (VR Sports Challenge)
  • Fast-Paced shootouts (Dead & Bured)
  • Full 360 frantic movements (Sprint Vector, Knockout League)

I don't even have a ceiling mount yet and the cable has given me zero issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The combined HMDI & USB is clearly stiff and not designed to twist nor bend at sharp angles. Add to it the bad clip design with sharp edges plus all the twisting that the cable will go through and you get many users as is happening needing replacement cables. The ribbon is a moving part also and that too is wear & tear. Oculus acknowledge this plus the connecting pins around the head set can also wear loose. If any User here that does not have a problem yet then feel blessed but why bother saying "well mine is ok". I just see way too much nonsense which is against helping people with problems which others share. Or carry on a grovel and praise be to the holy cable and its designers of the mighty clip!

The evidence is in the pic which shows the kinks the clip made. It looks seriously a lot worse in life. I really wish I could show you the 2.5mb video of the fault too but you can't.

Fender make Gel Guitar Cables designed to bend easy which have no memory in their moulding. Try wriggling your cable into a tight bend and twist it lots and see how that goes (don't!)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There seem to be less people having problems than those without problems. The number of Rifts sold is easily over 1-million; and the number of cable problems specific to this issue seems numbered in the dozens. Even if it were numbered in the 'hundreds' it is still a fraction of the total Rifts used to-date. So logically, and mathematically, it is not that those of us without issues are "blessed," it is simply that those with issues have a bit of bad luck.

When someone has an issue it's best to just work to resolve it; why bother acting like "my issue is a global event." Exaggerating an issue can also be seen as "nonsense which is against helping people with problems."

And if you don't like reading comments from people without problems, remember... this is how freedom of speech works. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some dudes love to take a post and talk as if it's the only one that has that solution. As usual trying to put it into a numbers game they think they know. Oculus at first wanted my Rift. There is clearly nothing wrong with the Rift. Numbers is just a safety precaution. The first ever time I asked help from Support they said I must buy a new PC. It works brilliantly.