cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Concerts coming to GO/GearVR (Oculus Venues)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The first concert is today, in about 2.5 hours from this post!
Oculus has announced the launch of a new virtual reality concert experience called Oculus Venues, kicking off with a performance by Vance Joy at 7:30 p.m. PST on Wednesday (May 30) broadcast live from Colorado's Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

Community moderators will be on-hand at all times during Venues events, ensuring that users can block, mute or report others who are hindering their experience or violating the Oculus Code of Conduct.

Current Schedule:
May 30 - Vance Joy - 7:30 pm PT
May 31 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
June 4 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
June 6 - MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Francisco Giants - 12:45 pm PT
June 7 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
June 9 - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats and The Head And The Heart - 3:55 pm PT
June 11 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
June 13 - MLB: Los Angeles Angels @ Seattle Mariners - 1:10 pm PT
June 14 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
June 15 - Chromeo - 6:50 pm PT
June 18 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
June 20 - MLB: Atlanta Braves @ Toronto Blue Jays - 9:37 am PT
June 21 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
June 22 - Everclear - 10:00 pm PT
June 25 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
June 27 - MLB: Kansas City Royals @ Milwaukee Brewers - 11:10 am PT
June 28 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
July 2 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
July 5 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
July 9 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
July 12 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
July 16 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
July 19 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
July 23 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
July 25 - International Champions Cup: Manchester United v AC Milan - 8:00 pm PT
July 26 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
July 28 - International Champions Cup: FC Barcelona v Tottenham Hotspur - 8:00 pm PT 
July 30 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
Aug.  2 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  3 - Lionsgate Presents: Reservoir Dogs - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  5 - Lionsgate Presents: Sinister - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  6 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
Aug.  9 - Gotham Comedy Live - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  13 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
Aug.  19 - Lionsgate Presents: Apocalypse Now - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  20 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT
Aug.  26 - Lionsgate Presents: National Lampoon’s Van Wilder - 7:00 pm PT
Aug.  27 - School Night! Live from Hollywood - 8:00 pm PT

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8458202/oculus-venues-vr-concert-series-vance-joy-red-ro...

24 REPLIES 24

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Ah that could be it. I just did a SpeedTest and my download speed over WiFi is currently at 233mbps.

Hopefully in the future they can increase throughput with better compression streaming.

bigcat1969
Protege
Nice speed. Yeah I'm in a weird place were dsl is the only choice.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The technology here is rather exciting. For those that didn't attend, here is the overview:
  • There are about 5 camera's: One behind the singer, between the drummer and pianist; Two on the front-left (one close, one far); Twp on the front-right (one close, one far).
  • The VR Attendee will automatically switch between all 5 cameras. Currently we don't have control, the camera angle switch happens automatically.
  • The image quality began pixelated (for me) for the first 3-4 songs, but it's been impressively sharp/crisp thereafter.
  • This is what I would call "true Mixed Reality." You are being live streamed to a 360 event. However, you are sitting in a Virtual Seat (software) while the live camera feed is in front of you. It's not a flat image though, it's a 360 image that has a virtual seating arrangement embedded. It's like being at a real concert, but when you look left/right you see your virtual seating area instead of a physical one.
  • The VR Attendee can see other VR Avatars in their seats around you! You can talk to folks during the event.
  • The VR Attendee can choose a "private seat." You end up in a VR Seat high above the rest of the VR Attendees (the VR crowd). This is great if you want a private viewing experience without hearing everyone else speak.
  • The Audio quality is damn near perfect.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Wow thanks for the summary.  I was actually online at the time but I didn't realize you had to have facebook account to get in. 

I've never in my life used facebook.  Is there an easy way to make some blank or hidden type of profile just to get in the door?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
You can create a Facebook Account that uses a fake name, just try to make it a variation of your real name because Facebook's A.I. will auto-delete the account (they did that to me when I tried to make a sneaky Skeletor account once).

The concert is still going so you have time!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Show is over.

That was a solid 1.5 hours of streaming with GO, starting at a full charge. It just now warned of low battery. So it can successfully stream 1.5 hours of 360 video/audio. Not too shabby.

bigcat1969
Protege
Thanks for the summery and the info. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I have better luck.

vfrhawk
Protege
Anybody know if this will come to the Rift?  I don't have any of the mobile VR devices but would quite like to try this - although my broadband is pretty slow. 

Couldn't find anything definitive online about the Rift.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus Venues is built in conjunction with NextVR, who does tend to create cross-platform experiences for more than just mobile (e.g. HTC Vive). Nothing is confirmed yet with the Oculus Venues project, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the Rift library by the end of 2018.

Although, the video quality is probably going to be much better on a GO or newer GearVR than on either a Vive or Rift.

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
I get that the Go is optically superior to the Rift, but as a Rift owner, if feel let down by oculus/Facebook, not allowing me the opportunity to experience these events, even if slightly less visually appealing!  

The Rift is still a very capable headset and it it cutting their user base off, or maybe that is a technical reason so as to not "swamp" the streaming servers?

Having spent close to £2,000 on my Rift setup only 8 month ago, having to justify to the missus why I want to spend another £250 to watch events, that technically I could watch in my Rift is a tall order 🙂
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."