cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC to Show World Cup in VR

Sounds interesting! It'll be available for the Oculus Go, Gear VR, PlayStation VR, iOS & Android.

Three vantage points will be available, a luxury private box and from a location somewhere behind either goal. 33 games (streamed live) accessed from a dedicated app's VR room.

uzju94j4j9fw.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

34 REPLIES 34

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

Goes to show how Rift has now become a secondary device to mobile. Good for GO.

I’ll bewatching the World Cup on my projector with my friends and family. 

no vive/windows MR version either @Atmos73 ... if anything it shows how PC VR full stop is 2nd fiddle to mobile/console VR... which is something we should all universally been complaining about on this forum.  Surely we can be united about this and not using it to try to score points?

edit... ninja'd by @DaftnDirect

@Brixmis Personally I have no problem at all with female pundits, and there are plently of male pundits who i think are either rubbish (Roy keane, Jamie Redknapp and others)

or have been atrociously over paid (Alan Hansen )

Gabby Yorath (Logan) knows her stuff and i would have no problem her doing some punditry and I actually think some of the women footballers present well and could easily do the job.  ie someone like Rachel Yankey I think would make a very good pundit.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Atmos73 said:

no vive/windows MR version either @Atmos73 ... if anything it shows how PC VR full stop is 2nd fiddle to mobile/console VR... which is something we should all universally been complaining about on this forum.  Surely we can be united about this and not using it to try to score points?

Nah, just 2 different platforms for 2 different things - we've all said that all along.  The Rift and Vive are for gaming - tied to a PC.  The Go is mobile and is just perfect for consuming media.

And, this is amazing news.  I'm quite sure i asked for this just the other week.  You just missed out on the Wedding of the year and the FA Cup, Oculus!

But i'll still be buying a Go because of this   B)
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary

You just missed out on the Wedding of the year

I will some how get over this... not sure how, but i will cope 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I'm just wondering how I can give the Go a try before buy... before the World Cup starts. Wish Oculus would give a date for UK store availability. I mean I know it's good but I just need to justify the purchase with a try-out.

No, you're damned for trying to turn as many threads into an argument as you possibly can.

Atmos73 said:

Well I’m damned if I mention Vive and I’m damned if I don’t. 

Anyway I don’t think watching football in VR is a good thing full stop. 

It's amazing Atmos - you can turn around to face the crowd and pretend you're one of the marshals!    😄

Hang on, looking at the image in the first post - is the football going to be in 360 or just on a screen?  When i've watched football before in VR has been 360 (i think).

I believe that's just the lobby where you gain access to the vantage points.

Would be cool if that lobby was also showing a big-screen live stream though.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Atmos73 said:

@Brixmis Personally I have no problem at all with female pundits, and there are plently of male pundits who i think are either rubbish (Roy keane, Jamie Redknapp and others)

or have been atrociously over paid (Alan Hansen )

Gabby Yorath (Logan) knows her stuff and i would have no problem her doing some punditry and I actually think some of the women footballers present well and could easily do the job.  ie someone like Rachel Yankey I think would make a very good pundit.

Doesn't make a difference - if you read my post, it doesn't say I have anything against female commentators in general - just the ones that are given the job primarily because they are female and not because they are good at it.

At least twice last year I had to watch international rugby games where England were playing, with the sound muted because whoever the Doris was thet they let "commentate" (and I use the word advisedly) was complete rubbish. I couldn't believe the complete crap that she was coming out with. She sounded like she was describing a tiddley-winks or lawn bowling match. I don't know who it was, but it sounded very much like that one that's always trying to stir up trouble in the F1 paddock - can't remember her name. She should stick to that because she is nowhere near good enough at ruggers commentary - especially important international games.

These days we call them the BimBoSee (as in Bimbo See, Bimbo Do...).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Gabby's excellent... she knows her stuff but also has a relaxed way with fellow pundits, much like Gary Lineker. Less keen on Dan Walker who's been on Football Focus a lot, he's ok but just tries to be funny a bit too much... not keen on Steve Jones on Channel 4's F1 coverage for the same reason, more so.