New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Well We Can All Wave Goodbye To Horror Games And Games With Decent Melee Combat Now

24

Comments

  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Excessively violent games can still be played on the Rift, you just can't buy them direct from the Oculus Store. But developers can sell them on their websites and we can play by allowing 'external sources' (or whatever that option is).

    Also, I'm willing to bet that the "dismemberment" clause is limited to animals and people. I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to dismember zombies, demons, and monsters.
    Yeah, Robo Recall has dismemberment ... plus I am sure, they mean "excessive" dismemberment ..

     :D 

    Moderate dismemberment.  Just doesn't sound right. 
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Those guidelines are nothing new:

    Apple:
    Realistic portrayals of people or animals being killed, maimed, tortured, or abused, or content that encourages violence.

    Google Play
    Graphic depictions or descriptions of realistic violence or violent threats to any person or animal.

    VivePort
    No adult content, this includes sexually explicit or erotic material, nudity
    No content that depicts gratuitous violence 

    Even steam has recently started to annoy developers asking them to tone down nudity/sexy apps

    In Germany, blood and violence are heavily censored in games, ALL games, under the youth protection act. Many games need special localised versions that remove gore, blood etc ...  
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

    Be kind to one another :)
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I don't agree with censorship of art at all - but as long as I can continue to run 3rd party apps I am not to worried.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    kernow said:
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.

    The problem with that, with me speaking about my game personally, is that this would limit us devs from not having our games available from the Oculus Store and only on Steam and our websites. I've decided not to have my game available on Steam because it's going to get lost in the sea of shite games that are released on there every day. So that would leave me with my games being sold on my website only.

    I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished. So that's up the spout too. Most of the software I'm using is either trial software or Student software, not for use for commercial purposes and for some of it not even usable for release AT ALL. I'm going to be left releasing a game that I can't sell or even give away for nothing unless I can find a few grand from somewhere to buy the full versions of software that I need.

    My plan was to have the game's sales going to cancer research but now I'm going to have to censor this game up the wazoo and make it a less attractive game for horror fans.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player

    I just bought the Arizona Sunshine DLC last night, and this would definitely fall foul of these rules, as you blow zombie limbs and heads clean off in this game franchise!

    It would be a sad loss if games like this are no longer produced for Rift. 

    It would just mean that I don't buy anything new on Oculus Home and buy everything on Steam.  If Oculus Home becomes the Sesame street of game options and Steam is the cooler "Sega Genesis cool guy" brand, I'll go there in an instant and get all my games from them.

    If all this shit in current events means that the government ruins gaming the way movies are currently ruined with all their bullshit PC agenda driven garbage, then gaming will be dead and the industry will be transformed into a disaster that would crash like a burning industry and they would claim we are all racist biggots because we didn't buy their content and thus to them that proves their claims.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Excessively violent games can still be played on the Rift, you just can't buy them direct from the Oculus Store. But developers can sell them on their websites and we can play by allowing 'external sources' (or whatever that option is).

    Also, I'm willing to bet that the "dismemberment" clause is limited to animals and people. I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to dismember zombies, demons, and monsters.

    Indeed I remember playing the sterilised version of carmageddon which had people replaced by zombies for this reason.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    Zenbane said:
    Excessively violent games can still be played on the Rift, you just can't buy them direct from the Oculus Store. But developers can sell them on their websites and we can play by allowing 'external sources' (or whatever that option is).

    Also, I'm willing to bet that the "dismemberment" clause is limited to animals and people. I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to dismember zombies, demons, and monsters.
    I'm tired of shooting robots, zombies and monsters in VR. 

    One game that would definitely fall afoul of this is Fallout 4 VR. You can blow heads off and set people on fire in that game. 

    It wasn't violent enough for me so I included the dismemberment mod. Now I can shoot and chop limbs off. 

    Will Fallout 4 VR be banned if it's ever released on Home?


    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    kernow said:
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.

    The problem with that, with me speaking about my game personally, is that this would limit us devs from not having our games available from the Oculus Store and only on Steam and our websites. I've decided not to have my game available on Steam because it's going to get lost in the sea of shite games that are released on there every day. So that would leave me with my games being sold on my website only.

    I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished. So that's up the spout too. Most of the software I'm using is either trial software or Student software, not for use for commercial purposes and for some of it not even usable for release AT ALL. I'm going to be left releasing a game that I can't sell or even give away for nothing unless I can find a few grand from somewhere to buy the full versions of software that I need.

    My plan was to have the game's sales going to cancer research but now I'm going to have to censor this game up the wazoo and make it a less attractive game for horror fans.

    What is it with this weird brand loyalty?  Steam would be the place to release a game because it is the largest place to get games and a large majority of people go there for games.  As far as VR is concerned, you have a much larger audience to cater to with all the other headsets.  A game will do well based upon it's content.  If your game is good, it doesn't matter where it's released.  You should be releasing on your own website regardless, and use both Steam and Oculus as sales channels if the options are there for you. 

    The free trial and student versions of software always watermark the output.  You know how to use a torrent don't you?  If so, better use a VPN too...  What was your plan?  You were developing this the whole time, was the plan to get someone to pay for the software so you could release this?  And honestly, that cancer research stuff sounds like fluff to sell a game. 

    Why wouldn't you want to sell your game on all available channels that are willing to allow you to sell it?  The fact that VR has a lot of bad games on steam doesn't mean they don't have any good ones, that burden falls upon the developer, if their game is good, it will do well on it's own.  If the game is bad, it will do bad and the reviews will reflect that.  It won't stop people from looking for VR content to enjoy.

    I personally think more than 3 quarters of the software on Oculus Home is complete garbage, baby games and tech demos for people with a hard on for the technology itself, but I still look and find good games that I enjoy.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Just read up on pepe the frog - Oculus actually mentioned that thing in their terms and conditions - jesus!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    snowdog said:
    kernow said:
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.

    The problem with that, with me speaking about my game personally, is that this would limit us devs from not having our games available from the Oculus Store and only on Steam and our websites. I've decided not to have my game available on Steam because it's going to get lost in the sea of shite games that are released on there every day. So that would leave me with my games being sold on my website only.

    I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished. So that's up the spout too. Most of the software I'm using is either trial software or Student software, not for use for commercial purposes and for some of it not even usable for release AT ALL. I'm going to be left releasing a game that I can't sell or even give away for nothing unless I can find a few grand from somewhere to buy the full versions of software that I need.

    My plan was to have the game's sales going to cancer research but now I'm going to have to censor this game up the wazoo and make it a less attractive game for horror fans.

    What is it with this weird brand loyalty?  Steam would be the place to release a game because it is the largest place to get games and a large majority of people go there for games.  As far as VR is concerned, you have a much larger audience to cater to with all the other headsets.  A game will do well based upon it's content.  If your game is good, it doesn't matter where it's released.  You should be releasing on your own website regardless, and use both Steam and Oculus as sales channels if the options are there for you. 

    The free trial and student versions of software always watermark the output.  You know how to use a torrent don't you?  If so, better use a VPN too...  What was your plan?  You were developing this the whole time, was the plan to get someone to pay for the software so you could release this?  And honestly, that cancer research stuff sounds like fluff to sell a game. 

    Why wouldn't you want to sell your game on all available channels that are willing to allow you to sell it?  The fact that VR has a lot of bad games on steam doesn't mean they don't have any good ones, that burden falls upon the developer, if their game is good, it will do well on it's own.  If the game is bad, it will do bad and the reviews will reflect that.  It won't stop people from looking for VR content to enjoy.

    I personally think more than 3 quarters of the software on Oculus Home is complete garbage, baby games and tech demos for people with a hard on for the technology itself, but I still look and find good games that I enjoy.

    Yes, I'm planning on getting funding from Oculus/Facebook. Nothing wrong with that at all. I won't be the first developer to do it and I won't be the last either. Even the big developers do it such as Bethesda in exchange for either exclusivity or timed exclusivity.

    The problem with Steam is the sheer volume of games that are released every day. You say that good games will always stand out but that isn't necessarily the case. I'm going to help my cause by having media attention from the big VR websites as well as social media but the most sales will be gained from having the game feature in the Oculus Store.

    My game isn't going to be Vive compatible either because certain gameplay elements are going to involve finger tracking.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    Guess that Dead Island Riptide won't get to VR on Oculus then..  (should it ever happen, brilliant on pancake and a fun candidate for VR treatment)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    falken76 said:
    snowdog said:
    kernow said:
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.

    The problem with that, with me speaking about my game personally, is that this would limit us devs from not having our games available from the Oculus Store and only on Steam and our websites. I've decided not to have my game available on Steam because it's going to get lost in the sea of shite games that are released on there every day. So that would leave me with my games being sold on my website only.

    I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished. So that's up the spout too. Most of the software I'm using is either trial software or Student software, not for use for commercial purposes and for some of it not even usable for release AT ALL. I'm going to be left releasing a game that I can't sell or even give away for nothing unless I can find a few grand from somewhere to buy the full versions of software that I need.

    My plan was to have the game's sales going to cancer research but now I'm going to have to censor this game up the wazoo and make it a less attractive game for horror fans.

    What is it with this weird brand loyalty?  Steam would be the place to release a game because it is the largest place to get games and a large majority of people go there for games.  As far as VR is concerned, you have a much larger audience to cater to with all the other headsets.  A game will do well based upon it's content.  If your game is good, it doesn't matter where it's released.  You should be releasing on your own website regardless, and use both Steam and Oculus as sales channels if the options are there for you. 

    The free trial and student versions of software always watermark the output.  You know how to use a torrent don't you?  If so, better use a VPN too...  What was your plan?  You were developing this the whole time, was the plan to get someone to pay for the software so you could release this?  And honestly, that cancer research stuff sounds like fluff to sell a game. 

    Why wouldn't you want to sell your game on all available channels that are willing to allow you to sell it?  The fact that VR has a lot of bad games on steam doesn't mean they don't have any good ones, that burden falls upon the developer, if their game is good, it will do well on it's own.  If the game is bad, it will do bad and the reviews will reflect that.  It won't stop people from looking for VR content to enjoy.

    I personally think more than 3 quarters of the software on Oculus Home is complete garbage, baby games and tech demos for people with a hard on for the technology itself, but I still look and find good games that I enjoy.

    Yes, I'm planning on getting funding from Oculus/Facebook. Nothing wrong with that at all. I won't be the first developer to do it and I won't be the last either. Even the big developers do it such as Bethesda in exchange for either exclusivity or timed exclusivity.

    The problem with Steam is the sheer volume of games that are released every day. You say that good games will always stand out but that isn't necessarily the case. I'm going to help my cause by having media attention from the big VR websites as well as social media but the most sales will be gained from having the game feature in the Oculus Store.

    My game isn't going to be Vive compatible either because certain gameplay elements are going to involve finger tracking.

    Bethesda certainly already paid for all their software before they developed anything.  You don't have any software other than trials?  So your plan was to make the game and hope that Oculus would do an exclusive directly with you, and THEN you would pay for all the software?

    Yes I believe that good games will sell on their own because word of mouth will push the sales.  What good games are not standing out on steam?  I have no clue, but you say a game being good isn't good enough, so what is an example of a good game that goes unnoticed on steam and gets no attention? 

    An example of a great game in VR that started on Steam and is successful because of it's content alone is Onward.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    snowdog said:
    falken76 said:
    snowdog said:
    kernow said:
    Go to settings. Set the setting to allow 3rd party content. Download and run your VR app that includes any or all of those prohibited items with ease. <eye roll>

    In other news, you can not buy pork chops at your local synogogue or mosque, but you can go next door to Boss Hogg's BBQ Stall and get all the pork chops that you want.

    The problem with that, with me speaking about my game personally, is that this would limit us devs from not having our games available from the Oculus Store and only on Steam and our websites. I've decided not to have my game available on Steam because it's going to get lost in the sea of shite games that are released on there every day. So that would leave me with my games being sold on my website only.

    I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished. So that's up the spout too. Most of the software I'm using is either trial software or Student software, not for use for commercial purposes and for some of it not even usable for release AT ALL. I'm going to be left releasing a game that I can't sell or even give away for nothing unless I can find a few grand from somewhere to buy the full versions of software that I need.

    My plan was to have the game's sales going to cancer research but now I'm going to have to censor this game up the wazoo and make it a less attractive game for horror fans.

    What is it with this weird brand loyalty?  Steam would be the place to release a game because it is the largest place to get games and a large majority of people go there for games.  As far as VR is concerned, you have a much larger audience to cater to with all the other headsets.  A game will do well based upon it's content.  If your game is good, it doesn't matter where it's released.  You should be releasing on your own website regardless, and use both Steam and Oculus as sales channels if the options are there for you. 

    The free trial and student versions of software always watermark the output.  You know how to use a torrent don't you?  If so, better use a VPN too...  What was your plan?  You were developing this the whole time, was the plan to get someone to pay for the software so you could release this?  And honestly, that cancer research stuff sounds like fluff to sell a game. 

    Why wouldn't you want to sell your game on all available channels that are willing to allow you to sell it?  The fact that VR has a lot of bad games on steam doesn't mean they don't have any good ones, that burden falls upon the developer, if their game is good, it will do well on it's own.  If the game is bad, it will do bad and the reviews will reflect that.  It won't stop people from looking for VR content to enjoy.

    I personally think more than 3 quarters of the software on Oculus Home is complete garbage, baby games and tech demos for people with a hard on for the technology itself, but I still look and find good games that I enjoy.

    Yes, I'm planning on getting funding from Oculus/Facebook. Nothing wrong with that at all. I won't be the first developer to do it and I won't be the last either. Even the big developers do it such as Bethesda in exchange for either exclusivity or timed exclusivity.

    The problem with Steam is the sheer volume of games that are released every day. You say that good games will always stand out but that isn't necessarily the case. I'm going to help my cause by having media attention from the big VR websites as well as social media but the most sales will be gained from having the game feature in the Oculus Store.

    My game isn't going to be Vive compatible either because certain gameplay elements are going to involve finger tracking.

    Bethesda certainly already paid for all their software before they developed anything.  You don't have any software other than trials?  So your plan was to make the game and hope that Oculus would do an exclusive directly with you, and THEN you would pay for all the software?

    Yes I believe that good games will sell on their own because word of mouth will push the sales.  What good games are not standing out on steam?  I have no clue, but you say a game being good isn't good enough, so what is an example of a good game that goes unnoticed on steam and gets no attention? 

    An example of a great game in VR that started on Steam and is successful because of it's content alone is Onward.

    I bought the Substance Indie bundle for a couple of hundred quid last year so that's a couple of applications taken care of. And, yes, I am expecting to get funding from Oculus to pay for the full versions of everything else. What do you think other indie developers that have got funded by Oculus in the past spend their money on? Hookers, beer and coke?!?

    Some would spend that money on staff wages, office space etc but I don't need any of that because I'm a single developer working from my home.

    Now I COULD, as you've suggested, pirate software and use that but what if someone (such as FAST here in the UK) does a spot check on the software I'm using? I would be screwed.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    I did a lot of dimembering this afternoon - in my game bought from the Oculus store.

    I'm sure it's all a storm in a teacup - probably Oculus/FB just putting their legal brolly up. Also probably so that they are better covered if a dev tries to release any content that causes uproar from the goody goodies.




  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    What do I think Indie users use?  Programs like Photoshop because they are expensive but obtainable.  They use pirated software at times, but I would think they'd be using programs like Blender and Gimp.  They have most of the functionality of 3dsmax and Photoshop without the cost.  Once you have the money the software is worth the price for the support and the communities that can help you, but those free programs are just as capable and have fantastic communities themselves.

    What do I think indie developers spent the money on when they got funding?  Salaries of course. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    I did a lot of dimembering this afternoon - in my game bought from the Oculus store.

    I'm sure it's all a storm in a teacup - probably Oculus/FB just putting their legal brolly up. Also probably so that they are better covered if a dev tries to release any content that causes uproar from the goody goodies.

    They've actually said that this wouldn't affect any games that are currently present in the Oculus Store, just new Submissions.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Snowdog I also hope you don't take this as me knocking you or your game, I absolutely want you to succeed.  I just wondered why you wouldn't want to release the game on as many platforms as possible so you maximize your profit.
  • vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    falken76 said:
    Snowdog I also hope you don't take this as me knocking you or your game, I absolutely want you to succeed.  I just wondered why you wouldn't want to release the game on as many platforms as possible so you maximize your profit.

    up above:
    "I was also planning on having my game on the Oculus Store exclusively because I need funding to get it finished."

  • AekeroAekero Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    I mean horror =/= dismemberment to me. You could build a game that could scare people out of their minds without excessive gore/dismemberment, and I'm not a fan of that excessive violence thought train to be honest. I think about some of the scarier movies I've watched and they haven't had anything to do with excessive gore.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    Aekero said:
    I mean horror =/= dismemberment to me. You could build a game that could scare people out of their minds without excessive gore/dismemberment, and I'm not a fan of that excessive violence thought train to be honest. I think about some of the scarier movies I've watched and they haven't had anything to do with excessive gore.

    Of course excessive gore and dismemberment aren't ESSENTIAL for a scary game but my first idea for the game was what would happen if Dreadhalls and Alien Isolation met at a party, got drunk, had no-holes barred rampant sex and had a baby lol :o

    If I'm going to be unable to have players remove thumbs of corpses and am going to be unable to have these alien enemies popping out of corpses that's two excellent design decisions for a VR horror game (even though I do say myself) that I'm going to have to put on the scrap heap.

    The main tension in the game is going to be down to intelligent use of lighting, sound and music but not being able to include dismemberment is going to mean that my game is going to be censored which I'm REALLY not happy about.

    And I dare say that the same can be said of other developers working on VR horror or survival horror games. No cannibalism is also a major horror trope that is also going to be unnecessarily censored.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,360 Valuable Player
    I've been chopping up cannibals all week in 'The Forest' mind you I don't think it is excessive as I have only been using enough parts of them for home decoration. :)
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 354
    Trinity
    i7 X5960 @ 4200Mhz, 16GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,134 Valuable Player
    Can we at least wait until we actually start to see games rejected from Oculus store before we overly object to the wording on this policy?

    Let's try to leave premature reaction to Vivarians; this is unbecomimg of Rifters!

    I kid, I kid.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 354
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    Can we at least wait until we actually start to see games rejected from Oculus store before we overly object to the wording on this policy?

    Let's try to leave premature reaction to Vivarians; this is unbecomimg of Rifters!

    I kid, I kid.

    i7 X5960 @ 4200Mhz, 16GB ram, EVGA 2080 ti FTW
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Can we at least wait until we actually start to see games rejected from Oculus store before we overly object to the wording on this policy?

    Let's try to leave premature reaction to Vivarians; this is unbecomimg of Rifters!

    I kid, I kid.

    Well I'll update this thread when I get clarification on a similar thread I've started there but the fact that they've singled out dismemberment doesn't bode well for my game unfortunately.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,134 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Well I'll update this thread when I get clarification on a similar thread I've started there but the fact that they've singled out dismemberment doesn't bode well for my game unfortunately.

    They didn't necessarily single it out just yet. They listed it within a very specific context:
    • Excessively violent content
    • glorification of gore
    • torture, rape, child abuse

    If I were you, I wouldn't be worried in all sincerity. If I were building a violent game with some dismemberment I would only be concerned if the policy were instead like this:

    Here are some basic content standards that we apply to all apps and games. The following is not accepted in the Oculus Store:

    • Pornography, including content for the purpose of sexual gratification.
    • Excessively violent content (including but not limited to: torture, rape, child abuse, animal abuse, cannibalism, glorification of gore).
    • Hate speech, bullying, molestation, or harassment.
    • Real-money gambling.
    • Applications directed to children or users under the age of 13.
    • Dismemberment


    See the difference?
    :)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah as @Zenbane has said context is everything, in this case

    "Excessively violent content" ... it's a bit like a Movie Rating system, a PG-13 movie can have a couple non-sexual F-words in the script for example.

    I just think excessive means just that, EXCESSIVE, that a game with a sole purpose of dismembering humans/animals is a big no no, but a game where the dismemberment is more of a result of the game story, like;
    • a realistic war battle
    • a cut scene depicting an accident or an attack
    • a non human (zombie, demon, ghoul, monster)

    will be just fine.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

    Be kind to one another :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,396 Volunteer Moderator
    There are other stores for VR content than just Steam and Oculus.
    Itch.io has VR titles, and it is without a doubt the most indie dev friendly game store. Their default cut of sales is 10% (instead of the 30% taken by Steam/Oculus/MS/Apple), but you can set the amount to anywhere between 0% and 100% (it's called Open Revenue Sharing).

    Gamers Gate (not to be confused with Gamer Gate, that's VERY different) has VR titles including Skyrim VR, Fallout VR, Superhot VR, Arizona Sunshine, Project Cars 2, etc.

  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,480 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    There are other stores for VR content than just Steam and Oculus.
    Itch.io has VR titles, and it is without a doubt the most indie dev friendly game store. Their default cut of sales is 10% (instead of the 30% taken by Steam/Oculus/MS/Apple), but you can set the amount to anywhere between 0% and 100% (it's called Open Revenue Sharing).

    Gamers Gate (not to be confused with Gamer Gate, that's VERY different) has VR titles including Skyrim VR, Fallout VR, Superhot VR, Arizona Sunshine, Project Cars 2, etc.


    Yup, but the problem is that I was planning to get funding from Oculus/Facebook. I guess I can still do it but unless I get some clarification from @imperativity on the Developer Forum that the elements of my game will be okay I'm going to have to cut the game to pieces and it will be less immersive and less scary as a result. :(

    I guess I'll end up finding out one way or the other on Monday when he/she is back in the office.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
Sign In or Register to comment.