cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the "Enter VR" message

SpaceDave
Protege
This has been mentioned in a couple of the threads about Kiosk mode but I don't see any solutions. Is there any way to get rid of this message? Or at the very least, have a longer timer so it doesn't come on after I've just removed the headset for a minute?

I find the "Enter VR" screen to be a constant minor annoyance in my own use, but it's worse at work. I use it in a public kiosk setting where the user doesn't need a controller at all. The "Enter VR" screen is the only thing preventing the GO from working perfectly in this environment. I should point out that my VR users sit in a chair that is in a fixed position and there's never any need to reset the view. If it wasn't for this issue I'd be ready to take the plunge and order 30 more headsets but this issue is holding me back because it makes the GO rather impractical.

In any case, forcing the user to go through this screen after just taking the headset off for a moment is too much IMO.
34 REPLIES 34

MetaRick0001
Protege
I second that! A lot of our work in mobile VR in the past has been reliant on after going to sleep the app will remain when the next user puts the headset on. The splash screen is quite a killer now as it makes another step that will then require someone to be present to show them what to do. I really hope to hear feedback on this as its quite a killer for us. A workaround/access to this would be a big one. Hope to hear from someone from the Go team on if a fix/tweak may be possible.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I agree, they should remove that, maybe it's because the battery is quite poor so that's why they enabled it?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, there are topics about that open since few weeks now and there was no responce from Oculus yet. This feature alone prevents Oculus Go to be used in proffesional use cases...

undef_dev
Protege
@imperativity We would love every hint about a temporary workaround. Is there a
process on the os-level i could dissable, to skip this "Enter VR" start
screen?

brentoni
Protege
I know this isn't the most elegant solution and would be terrible for battery life but would putting a sticker over the sensor so it doesn't turn off when removed be of any help with this issue.

chettawan
Expert Protege

brentoni said:

I know this isn't the most elegant solution and would be terrible for battery life but would putting a sticker over the sensor so it doesn't turn off when removed be of any help with this issue.

End of story. No fancy coding or side load custom app. Just a piece of sticker. You rock!

LZoltowski
Champion
The Enter VR message is there is to force the user to re-calibrate the HMD and the controller position.

When you take the HMD off, and let's say another person puts it on, without the re-calibration the controller might have a strange position, as well as the HMD. Remember, there are no external sensors with the GO, so it doesn't instantly know where it's facing (so the user might not be facing in the right direction) or where the controller is, you need to tell it every-time you put it on, where the front is, and where the pointer's origin is
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Dilip
Rising Star
Kind of a necessary evil..

SpaceDave
Protege

The Enter VR message is there is to force the user to re-calibrate the HMD and the controller position.

When you take the HMD off, and let's say another person puts it on, without the re-calibration the controller might have a strange position, as well as the HMD. Remember, there are no external sensors with the GO, so it doesn't instantly know where it's facing (so the user might not be facing in the right direction) or where the controller is, you need to tell it every-time you put it on, where the front is, and where the pointer's origin is

But in many situations this isn't required. I can see why it's a good idea for new users at home but many of us are trying to use this headset in different environments where the recalibration ruins the headsety's usability. Like many people in this forum I'm evaluating the GO for use in a public kiosk setting. It's not only unnecessary to recalibrate between users (they're always in exactly the same position and facing the same way), it renders the GO impractical for this purpose. Without this message, the headset would be 100% perfect. The users don't even need to touch a controller and no staff intervention is required. With this message, a staff member has to get the right controller for the headset and restart every single headset for every single user. I'm currently running four headsets like this but there's no way it will scale up to the 30 I need as a minimum. For me and my museum, it's either get rid of this message or start looking for a different solution.

BTW the Samsung Gear works great. It doesn't have this step and it's a dream to use in comparison. Although it's more expensive while simultaneously looking cheap, at the moment it's looking like a better option than the GO. It's heartbreaking that I might have to make that decision for such a silly reason.

Please, just give us admins a way to get rid of this pointless, annoying step when we clearly don't need it.