cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Santa Cruz be able to...

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Run Beat Saber and Sprint Vector? What do you think?
For now i really hate beeing tethered to my PC with those annoying cables(i know TPCast and the Vive Pro Addon is a thing).
I just avoid games were i have to turn in RL because after a few minutes i get entangled and i always have to mind that cable.

If Santa Cruz could pull of games like Sprint Vector, Beat Saber, In Death(and other Archery games), Pavlov and the battery woud last more than 2 hours that would be just amazing. 

What do you think? Will Santa Cruz be powerful enough? Will it use the Snapdragon 845 SoC? 
10 REPLIES 10

I believe it was using the 835.  I hope they beef that up though because as you say, it needs to be so much more than just another mobile headset, it needs to be closer to what the PC headsets give us.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Eispfogel said:

What do you think? Will Santa Cruz be powerful enough? Will it use the Snapdragon 845 SoC? 

I think its safe to say that the HTC, WinMR and the OVR teams see these as essential games to support their own Standalone platforms (I would also add Robot Recall to that list for OVR).

The reality is that a "version" of these games will be a needed offering for them - and I look-forward to trying the SC version of BS to evaluate it with the current version. The prototype of SC seen recently did not use the Snapdragon 845 - but that was a production candidate - I am not sure what the official spec of the SC will be (if anyone outside OVR does)! But a shoehorned version of the most popular games will be made to work on the final SC we can be sure of.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

Eispfogel said:

I think its safe to say that the HTC, WinMR and the OVR teams see these as essential games to support their own Standalone platforms (I would also add Robot Recall to that list for OVR).

The reality is that a "version" of these games will be a needed offering for them - and I look-forward to trying the SC version of BS to evaluate it with the current version. The prototype of SC seen recently did not use the Snapdragon 845 - but that was a production candidate - I am not sure what the official spec of the SC will be (if anyone outside OVR does)! But a shoehorned version of the most popular games will be made to work on the final SC we can be sure of.

I know it would be a stretch on the hardware, but a mobile optimised Lone Echo would be the killer app for SC for me.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

LZoltowski said:
I know it would be a stretch on the hardware, but a mobile optimised Lone Echo would be the killer app for SC for me.

I think it would be a stretch on the performance candidate that they showed devs - but would not be surprised that the team will work its magic and get the platform to do amazing things. We know the R&D team has seen some restructuring recently, so some new eyes will be on the prize.

I just think a fully integrated 'Robot Recall' would be a great proof of concept for buys on the SC. But after Rock Band VR on the CV1, I am sure OVR are a lot more sensitive to single game strategies to prove hardware.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Oh, @LZoltowski  - as you are in the UK area, any interest in attending an event here:

HiThere_
Superstar

Eispfogel said:

I just avoid games were i have to turn in RL because after a few minutes i get entangled and i always have to mind that cable.

If you look into "ceiling cable management", you can solve your cable issue for ~10$.

The
other solution is to stick to front facing and only use the thumbstick
to rotate, but have your PC and it's cable behind you instead of front
of you : Zero cable issues, PC level graphics, no limited battery or hot headset problems... perfect really, unless you were planning on walking outside while using your VR headset.

Eispfogel
Expert Protege

Cyril said:

Eispfogel said:

If you look into "ceiling cable management", you can solve your cable issue for ~10$.

The
other solution is to stick to front facing and only use the thumbstick
to rotate, but have your PC and it's cable behind you instead of front
of you : Zero cable issues, PC level graphics, no limited battery or hot headset problems... perfect really, unless you were planning on walking outside while using your VR headset.

I do exactly that! Because i don't want to hit my precious tv while playing beat saber i rotated the play area.
But still - if you try to move fast in Sprint Vector(and Climbey, or To the top and you would also sometimes hit the cable if you use the cable on the ceiling in those games) you have to move yourself and your arms and sometimes...well..the cable gets in the way. Ceiling Cable Management is sadly not an option. But the future will be wireless anyways and i don't have to mind that cable in 2 years from now ^^

So it seems SC will use the 835. Well, we have to wait and see how that turns out then. And i really hope they use a different Headgear this time around...the rift and the go feel so uncomfortable over time(plus you get a bad VR face...) that i don't want to use it and stick to PSVR and WMR instead. Most other Headsets got it right by now.

Well maybe they show something at E3 so we can see it in action.

francesco_2013
Protege
I am using OpenTPcast with my Rift and said goodbye forever to the cable 🙂 It is all another experience and the battery lasts for 7 hours of gaming 

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
If it can't do at least beat saber, I would worry a great deal.  I think it has to be at least 3x more gpu powerful then the Oculus Go, Since it will be more of a capable platform they will be trying to sell. 

I wonder if it would be worth off-loading local processing to your local network.  e.g. In medium, when you make a complicated cut or action, The system needs thinking time to process it.  On a stand alone VR device, this thinking time is greatly increased.  You could send the data off to your high end pc to calculate and send it back as a finished form to the stand alone.  Not sure how useful it would be for games, but you could offload some A.I data and level loading data to the network.
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/