cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL-2 Makes Me Giggle Like A Little Schoolboy...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
who has just planted a stink bomb in the headmaster's office!

Seriously, this has just got to be the best VR flight simulator out there - and when you can fly well-modelled aircraft and do things like this in them...

eoiqi1owmi4e.jpg

30uishgmn0fx.jpg

al5dhs2kzwil.jpg

94foti9ttd2q.jpg

mf7i9slhp5kt.jpg

qhir0ihp5p87.jpg

7v98dfo4zfuf.jpg

aiiytmsdslq5.jpg

t73npt269n78.jpg

You'll be laughing, too!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
142 REPLIES 142

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Yeah that Pe-2 loses speed very quickly on approach to land, and err.. tends to kind of suddenly stop flying and drop out of the sky. Luckily enough I think we were close enough to the ground to survive with only minor injuries on that occasion.

I'm slowly getting better anyway. Need to do a bit of control configuring, so I might reset to defaults and start again. Will probably use a shift button as I do with ED. Will definitely have to try and bind the rear tail wheel lock, as that's probably why I've been spinning out on landing and take off a bit, due to perhaps not having that locked. Is it locked or unlocked by default? Will also need to do some bindings for the oil and water radiators as well, especially if we use that server again, as it didn't seem to allow the auto setting and I managed to cook the IL2 engine. I expect the fuel mix was manual too, not that I noticed.

Trying to post an image of the jpeg with the cockpit reference but it doesn't seem to want to let me attach an image (Chrome issue?). Anyway I think it is one of those Chuck ones, as googling it takes me to a forum page where he posted them.

Anyway had fun last night, thanks for that! Nice to have someone else around when you're practicing who you can chat too, and who's brain you can pick for bits of info. Pretty cool seeing those guys doing the acrobatics who buzzed me for a bit too. Will have to get a bit more flight time in so that next time we can do a bit of target shooting.

rlbmxtyjlmsr.jpg

Edit: OK hang on, had a second go trying to get that pic to appear and despite not showing initially after I submitted my post, it now seems to have appeared above as you can see.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yes - that would be fun. I think the tailwheel is locked to start with, but I would need to confirm it. Certainly was on a Yak-1 mission I did yesterday.

Edit: According to this post - the planes we flew in that session aren't fitted with tailwheel locks - so that's that excuse out of the window!

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/19187-la-5-lagg-3-pe-2-tailwheel-locks/

Some good tips there as well.

Note: while I'm at it - just a note to other people who may read this and be new to the sim - I found that the flap control works differently for different aircraft. In some, you press the "Extend Flaps" control (mine assigned to my HOTAS) and as long as you keep it pressed, the flaps will extend. Same with retracting.

Don't make the mistake that I did, of thinking that each time you press extends the flaps 1 stage. I only discovered this yesterday, after months of flying. Other aircraft do require a button/key press per stage (such as the Pe-2). Unfortunately, I don't yet know for sure which aircraft's flap control behaves which way - but I will make a list over the next week or two (at least of those that I own and fly - i.e. the allied aircraft) and post it.

Regarding the manual control of the radiators and cowl flaps - it really is a lot simpler than it seems and if you get on top of this (which is quite easy) you will have an advantage over any pilot who doesn't know or can't be bothered with it - because they can easily damage their engine and suffer poor performance or worse in dogfight when their engine overheats or freezes up.

All you really need is to know there the particular gauges are for your temperatures, on the panel of the aircraft you are flying. I have the oil and water radiator controls assigned to two rotating dials on my throttle, within easy reach, but you can assign them to any buttons or keys. Just keep an eye on those gauges and adjust the radiators as required - open slightly if the temps are high and close a bit if they are dropping too much. Look at Chaz' LaGG-3 diagram - they are the two gauges to the right - easy to just keep an eye on as you fly - not necessarily all the time - now and then is enough (or when the engine gets rough or starts smoking!). Your cowl flaps do have a bearing on this, too, but so far I have managed fine without bothering with them too much.

It's even easier with the superchargers - all you do is engage when you get to a certain altitude, and disengage them when you are descending back through that altitude (or altitudes for a multi-stage supercharger). It makes a big difference to your aircraft's performance and is well worth remembering.

For both of these things, a simple cheat sheet in front of you, visible through the nose gap, with ideal water and oil temps and supercharger altitudes is all you need for that advantage. I use a white sheet of A6 sized paper, laminated and just write the info down for whichever plane I am jumping into, in big black numbers, with a whiteboard pen. Simples. 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Simples he says lol couldn't resist !!!!

7jf3z0hyd0f4.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Yeah I've just been having a look through the manual and some guides etc. So yes, not all planes have a tail wheel lock, with the idea being that you pull back to dig in the wheel with those you can't lock. Also not all planes have cowls or allow manual control over fuel mixture, oil and water temps etc. Operational temperatures and speeds etc differ between planes (as you'd expect). So it would seem beneficial to concentrate on and get to know the planes one at a time really. Well if you wanted to get to know them properly that is.

Didn't know about setting the RPM/prop pitch either. Kind of thought that was just tied to the throttle. Again not all planes let you adjust the prop pitch anyway.

A cheat sheet sounds definitely well advised. I'll have to get some printed out.

So lots to learn and get my head round still. With that said, it is relatively easy enough to get airborne and fly around without needing to know any of that stuff, as I have been of course. So it's not like you have to try and take it all on board at once in order to be able to fly. If you can push a throttle forwards and keep the aircraft straight enough down the runway to pick up speed to take off, then you can pretty much fly every plane in the game. How "well" you can fly them once you're in the air of course, depends on learning all that other stuff.

Anyway, rather quite enjoying getting into all this. Makes a welcome change from the grind of Elite.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Oh definitely don't need it to fly - just set it to "auto" setting and away you go! In fact, I would highly recommend new players doing just that - and after doing the take-off and landing practise missions to get out there on the quick missions and have some fun whilst learning the ropes.

Also, aircraft like the P-40E have much of it on auto anyway - lazy Yanks! 😛

It does help very much when you go on a server and find that they have it set to not allow auto control, though.

I think I said yesterday that people were recommending the campaigns, but if so that was a mistake - it's the career mode that people have been impressed with. I haven't tried that, yet, but am about to start one.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
I'll get a bit more practice in and get stuff setup and memorised a bit first before I try the SP campaigns and careers first I think. Feels good to be finally delving into this at long last anyway. Been putting it off for a while because it always seemed like such a mountain to climb. Story of my life right there.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Was just looking at the online store. I'm sorely tempted to get the Spitfire V - but then, I also hope to get Bodenplatte, and that includes the Spitfire IX, so mebbe I should buy Kuban and have some fun in the A-20 Havoc instead. That baby has gotta be good!

Can't wait for Bodenplatte - besides that Spit IX we'll have the Tempest, 'Stang, Jug and P-38 as a collector plane.

We've never had it so good B)

falken76
Expert Consultant

MowTin said:

falken76 said:

$50?  I spent $189 on a HOTAS.  I play DCS but this looks just as good as that but for WW2.  These games are amazing.

I spent around the same on my HOTAS too. I'm just saying that for those who don't have even a joystick, it makes sense to just buy a T16000m and enjoy some of these awesome flight/space sims. 

You can get this for $50

I upgraded from that to my T16000M + Throttle + Pedals upgrade. (I never use the pedals, but I might want to get a helicopter in DCS someday so I'm keeping them)

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I suppose the T-HOTAS X is okay  for those with small budgets - I have a very small income and I always have the best I can buy. But then, flight simming has been my main activity on the PC since I first got a Spectrum.

I bought the HOTAS X as a spare a couple of years ago and I really didn't like it - even as a backup, I preferred my old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro - which I still have (as a spare) and works amazingly well in DCS World - especially with the helicopters.

The main issue I had with the T HOTAS X was the throttle - it felt really awful. There was very little resistance to movement - if any - and that just made it unusable for me. Also, I was repeatedly accidentally pressing the button on the side of the stick, at the top.

Horses for courses, but I would only recommend one of those if the buyer was really poor or very young. I think the VKB Gladiator or Speedlink Airrow as it's sold in W. Europe, is far better. Yes, costs a bit more at £70-ish, but really worth it, with hall sensors and a larger number of buttons than the T HOTAS X. The throttle is a lever, but it's very smooth.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
This gives you a sense of what it feels like in VR to play IL-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URlbV2P2GOo&list=RDURlbV2P2GOo
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2