cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of firearms and shooting realism in VR

kingkablamachu
Honored Guest
Hey! My ten year old gamer and I are LOVING the Oculus Rift experience.

If you are an "AR" (actual reality, not just AR-15) shooter, what are your thoughts on the level of realism and level of training potential in VR?

IMHO, the two most obvious downsides in VR are lack of actual recoil and lack of realistic loading/charging/firearm controls manipulation. I know there are some very high end VR guns out there, but only available at the arena or real world training gear level, due to very high  Definitelycost. Def an improvement on MILES gear "lasertag"!
I'm surprised at the level of realism I've found in games such as Range Day, Gun Club and Arizona Sunshine. Sights are decent and the controllers shoot well to POA. And VR adds a level of psychological pressure that is difficult to acheive at a traditional range. It's not feasible to simulate a zombie alocaplape at a public shooting range!  VR will never replace real range time, but I've actually improved my technical accuracy in the real world with VR drills! I find if I put in 30 to 45 minutes shooting in VR with the digital equivalents of my actual sidearms before I go to the actual range, I shoot better in drills and my target groups are tighter! 

Touch controller VR point of aim is accurate and I especially like the ability to adjust grip angle in Gun Club VR, to simulate the bore axis of guns like the 1911and Glock 17. I wish they would add more handguns!  VR has become an excellent addition to the dry fire and blue gun style drills I practice away from the range.
Last year I bought a pricey all metal green gas Airsoft 1911 with an adjustable trigger, to practice with at home, but I barely use it now! 

I ordered an Evolution rifle adapter for FPS VR games. I modified the Evolution by removing the stock Evolution "stock" and adding a modded Leapers UTG PRO AR-15 6 Position Collapsible Stock. I snagged a cosmetically blemished one in "Robin's egg blue" (The colors...Why? Just why?) for $35. Tons of adjustable AR platform stocks out there for under $40. The Evolution w/AR stock wasn't my idea, but I can't remember where I saw it posted. Regardless, it improves the experience when using long guns in VR. I love the Evolution design! By adding the AR stock and 4 pounds of strategically placed lead weights using plastic hose clamps, I get a decent level of rifle realism. (4 pounds is lighter than most rifles, but I can easily add or remove the weight).

8 REPLIES 8

edmg
Trustee
The closest shooter to realist gun handling is probably H3VR (only on Steam at the moment), but you're right, we can't really simulate recoil yet, at least for anything bigger than a .22. And rifles are hard to simulate without attaching the controllers to something that links them together and provides a stock.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
H3VR is really a must have ! About 100 weapons as accurate as possible, and it works very well with the Rift 🙂
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
We'll I'm not too sure about realism because I haven't fired a weapon since I had a go on my mate's air rifle when I was a teenager but the gunplay in Arktika.1 is VERY satisfying for some reason.

Anonymous
Not applicable

H3VR is really a must have ! About 100 weapons as accurate as possible, and it works very well with the Rift 🙂

They just dropped over 35 new guns from alpha into the main app so the number has jumped a lot 🙂
A list of guns, I don't know if they include the recent ones.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hot_Dogs,_Horseshoes_%26_Hand_Grenades

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Obviously weight, recoil and trigger pull aren't accurate, but the overall experience is somewhat consistent with handguns I think. Rifles and shotguns are a problem though. I absolutely cannot stand 2 handed weapons with the touch controllers. I suppose you could say it's sort of like shooting a pocket sized.22LR pistol with the world's best compensator and the world's worst trigger to go with it.

Regardless of realism, I can't go back to mouse + kb shooters. Aiming in those is impossibly difficult compared to the touch controllers.

kingkablamachu
Honored Guest
I haven't tried HV3R yet, mostly because I heard it doesn't translate well on the Rift, but I'll pick it up now! Beastly makes some great points, I include trigger pull in "use of controls", but it is really a separate issue. No take up or reset on a Touch, although I've seen an intriguing video where someone uses a gas airsoft pistol and some haptic feedback programming wizadry which allowed him to fire in game without using the Touch video game trigger, but rather he oulls the 1911 style gas gun trigger and the gas blast and slide recoil trigger a shot. Way beyond my very basic and stunted grasp of programming. With the proliferation of 3D printing, it seems like a pistol adapter with a realistic trigger and green gas powered recoil isn't impossible, just beyond me. I do my best to simulate trigger control, but that is hard with what is essentially a traditional game pad controller style "trigger". Oh well, it is still early days! Beastly, I am on the same page with "dual weilding". Rocking a Model 19 in one hand and some completely impossible sawed off pump gun that fires semi auto in Arizona Sunshine is fun, but all arcade! It is very like firing a pair of integrally suppressed ultralight .22 autos, (PPK/s maybe?) no matter what you are actually using. I laughed when I came across a Sig P250 in Sunshine! I'm actually a big fan and owner of thishighly modular DAO (double action only) Sig platform and very used to it's long and heavy trigger pull. Felt strange to cap it off with about 1 pound of pressure and see it operating as a hammerless SA/DA hammerless pistol! But most VR handguns have rebounding hammers,even revolvers, all Webley-Forsbery style!BeastyBaiter said:

Obviously weight, recoil and trigger pull aren't accurate, but the overall experience is somewhat consistent with handguns I think. Rifles and shotguns are a problem though. I absolutely cannot stand 2 handed weapons with the touch controllers. I suppose you could say it's sort of like shooting a pocket sized.22LR pistol with the world's best compensator and the world's worst trigger to go with it.

Regardless of realism, I can't go back to mouse + kb shooters. Aiming in those is impossibly difficult compared to the touch controllers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Old thread but my company has gotten real firearms working in VR (and AR) on all the Oculus devices along with others like the Vive.

All these fake guns simulating recoil are now obsolete.

theruleslawyer
Explorer
I did 10M Olympic pistol for awhile. Its not useful for the finer points of shooting. IE I doubt its going to help you get in the black. Its way better than a pancake game at least.

think the biggest complaint I have is there isn't a tracked weapon. What Id really like to see is realistic plastic trainers like blue guns that have a snap in slot for a tracking puck. Plug it in and you get a 1:1 feel for where the controls are on the firearm. At least you could build muscle memory for things like USPSA. You could have a recoil solenoid in something like that as well. 

I wonder if it could be a kit that attached to a rail for a real firearm? That way weight would be accurate and you'd get to feel the real trigger as well?