cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Oculus Rift with my 52 year old eyes?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm really interested in buying Oculus Rift - mainly for playing racing games (PC2, AC RRE etc) - but I'm a bit unsure how it will work with my not so perfect 52 year old eyes... 

I use contact lenses but have far from sharp sight on short distances. I need almost an arms length for reading a magazine or using a tablet for instance. There is also quite a big difference in lens strength between left and right eye. 

Experiences from any of you out there regarding this?

EDIT: Googled that the Rift have a focal distance of 1,5 m - does this mean that if I have a sharp vision on this distance, I'm fine? Sorry for the somewhat banal questions, but this is all new to me...
18 REPLIES 18

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Same here, I'm 47, and need glasses for reading, but have good distance viewing, but do not need any glasses when using the Rift, and I have had a few long sessions without any detriment to my everyday vision.

I class a "long session" as 8 hours straight!   
That Skyrim is just too good to leave!  🙂

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish I could do 8 hours in Skyrim but can only do an hour or an hour and a half because my back is screwed. Really frustrating. I COULD play sitting down but it's just not the same. 😞

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
I know what you mean @snowdog, I too have a bad back (DDD), but manage about half the time stood up, and have to play some of it sat down!
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Well, I don't wear glasses and I'm only 34, but my parents are 50 and 60 and they can view this fine and they both wear glasses and my cousin who is 35 wears contacts and he also views it fine.

I showed my parents the Ocean Rift demo and the Oculus Touch demo and they loved both. They had no issues seeing anything. So I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Ravenger
Expert Protege
I'm 52, got presbyopia, so I can't focus on close up objects. I wear different glasses for computers and distance, and for Rift I have prescription lenses using my distant perscription which work great.

It's strange though, that for Oculus Go I find my distance prescription is a bit more uncomfortable than my computer prescription, possibly due to the fixed IPD.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

I wish I could do 8 hours in Skyrim but can only do an hour or an hour and a half because my back is screwed. Really frustrating. I COULD play sitting down but it's just not the same. 😞

I have the same problem and I play with a butt cheek on a bar stool, so I'm almost standing 😉
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

RattyUK
Trustee

snowdog said:

Funny how different we all are, I've only ever played SkyrimVR sitting down and appreciated the patch that allowed further 'height' so that I wasn't looking 'up' at the NPC's (being apparently at chest height was distracting when talking to some of the more attractive characters...) and the shop counters...

I don't think I could go much more than an hour standing either, certainly Robo Recall, Arizona Sunshine and Super Hot would get more play time with me if I could stay standing without aching for any length of time.

Sorry that your back is screwed @snowdog , but on the positive side - it probably stops you wandering Tamriel until 3 AM then cussing as you have to be up again in a few hours  >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I'm 63 and only read your post but I have been wearing glasses for about 10 years. I mainly use my rift (had it for about a year ) for flying and puzzle games. I'm on it for just about an hour at a  time. The only complaint I have is I wish I was 10 again.  The only way to explain it is to find a demo or a friend.  If you want my advice  Buy one.

bgil66
Honored Guest
52 glasses wearer here too. Got the rift a week ago as a bday present for myself and it's amazing. In all of the open wheel cars in AC it's amazing and the immersion is second to none. Was also just in PC2 @ Indy and oh my outstanding! But in a closed cockpit it isn't clear for me, a little blurry so then put on my glasses and then the rift and it was better. It was tight but better, took them off as dont want to scratch the lens in both so did some research and found out about the companies that make the prescription lenses for the rift as people have talked about here. So as I was immediately sold on the tech I scheduled an eye exam and ordered new VR adapter lenses from vroptician the other day. Have fun!