cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenovo WMR headset Only $199?

An incredible price but are these headsets worth buying at any price?

While the general reception to the range of Windows 10 mixed reality (MR) headsets has been somewhat subdued, news of a price cut is the sort of thing that tends the renew enthusiasm. Consumers in the US might be interested to learn that the Lenovo Explorer mixed reality headset has had its price cut by half.

Visitors to the US Microsoft store will be able to peruse the available MR headsets and see that the Lenovo Explorer, previously the most expensive of the range, has seen its price from from $399 (USD) down to $199.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/06/lenovo-mixed-reality-headset-down-to-half-price/

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'd almost consider one just to have it available for dev purposes (such as experimenting in laptop/portable VR without external tracking).

The MS store (and other department stores) charges way more for Australia though, so not really worth it. The Lenovo is listed as "coming soon". The rest (acer, hp and dell) are listed as $799au, which works out to $612us. Ouch.

I wouldn't get one for my own personal use, but for dev purposes it might be useful. (If it was closer to $259au, which is the converted $199us price)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It just feels to me like a WinMR "fire sale" with these price drops!
Cant be good for the consumer perception of VR.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

We got one at work - mixed is the key word lol

So so light but i just can't get it focused.  It's all about positioning - you move it around with your hands, focused nicely, let go and it moves ever so slightly - blurred to hell!  Cheap tat!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I see where Microsoft is going with these things (it's been in the works for over a year now). I mentioned it back in April:

The moment that MS turns their Microsoft Office Suite in to a VR-driven
application... that is when the business and corporate enterprise are
forced to become VR-dependent and VR-centric. And if VR is woven
directly in to the MS Operating System's (particularly their Server
OS's) then Facebook-Oculus will finally be getting some real
competition.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/604326#Comment_604326

And one month later we get to see this stuff in action:

This is really huge for MS and VR. SharePoint is a multi-million dollar global enterprise. Over the years I've worked closely with MS SharePoint developers (and once upon a time I held the title of "SharePoint Administrator"). These types of Engineers make $150-$200 per hour minimum. And many Fortune 500 and Fortune 100 corporations have multi-year SharePoint contracts.

SharePoint Spaces VR is already on its way with reshaping how any organization whose business operations are tied to the Microsoft Office Suite methodology operate.

As for the price drop... any notions that this may "hurt VR" is baseless. Price drops are common in technology, even huge price drops. Try to buy a new iPhone on Week 1 of its release; then check its price 6 to 10 months later.

With Computer Technology - especially bleeding edge tech - the global consumer knows and expect massive price drops within a year. Either in the form of a permanent price drop, flash sales from sites like Amazon and NewEgg, Manufacturer Rebates, or Holiday Discounts. Price drops are a natural part of the consumer-market ecosystem. They neither hurt nor hinder the Industry in which it represents. It's no different than when a corporate Stock value rises and falls. Which happens to every publicly traded conglomerate on the planet.