cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nose Gap

nguetta
Honored Guest
Am I the only one disturbed by the nose gap on the Oculus Go? I am using the glasses spacer but even without my glasses, I still have this gap.
Any tips on how to fix this?
21 REPLIES 21

cybereality said:

Try the Fitted Interface. It has less of a gap. 
https://www.oculus.com/go/accessories/

Prescription lenses 🙂

Now, I'm wondering if prescription lenses bought for the Go will be cross-compatible with future Oculus headsets as these are potentially expensive items. I don't expect an answer but I'd like to think Oculus designers consider these things especially as CV2 must be well into development.

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
I like the nose gap. It lets me look for things without taking the headset off and I honestly don't notice it when in vr. Although I could walk around saying horrible things to people so they will punch my face until it swells up and fills the gap. This way I don't have to get an infection to fill it. 😃

LZoltowski
Champion

cybereality said:

Try the Fitted Interface. It has less of a gap. 
https://www.oculus.com/go/accessories/

Prescription lenses 🙂

Now, I'm wondering if prescription lenses bought for the Go will be cross-compatible with future Oculus headsets as these are potentially expensive items. I don't expect an answer but I'd like to think Oculus designers consider these things especially as CV2 must be well into development.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be the case, if CV2 or even SC have a bigger FOV, it would mean bigger lenses.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Richooal said:

For those who struggle with the very small nose gap, John Carmack has made available a design mod.
This allows for large noses or use of mouse and keyboard with the HMD on.
5tqmdjxg7mu1.jpg

You need to provide your own cutters though.

Edit for image source:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1003764043625054208

Am I the only one who zoomed in on his nose looking for boogers? 😃

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be the case, if CV2 or even SC have a bigger FOV, it would mean bigger lenses.

I was thinking the same. It depends where these lenses are positioned and how they compare to your normal glasses lens width... I mean if they're roughly where my glasses would be, then they could have been designed to a similar lens width. After all I can wear the same glasses in either headset.

But yeah, if they're just wide enough to cover the FOV of the Go, and it looks like that's the way they've been designed, they'd be too narrow for CV2.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah if you look at the prototype, to the left is the normal lens shape we see on the GO/Rift 

Image result for 140 fov prototype

On the right is the 140 FOV lens, completely different shape and size, now ... there is another issue with a bigger FOV lens ... prescription glasses limit your FOV by nature, the frame gets in the way, will 140 FOV actually go beyond that and the glasses frame will start to obscure the image?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

I reckon glasses reduce FOV from 210 to around 170 horizontal, much less vertically... but that's a guess so maybe lower. Needless to say I'm never likely to be impressed with 200 deg headsets, especially not at these early stages in the VR game.

StayPuft83
Protege
As others have said, I actually like the nose gap. I don't know if it was intentional, but to me it is a feature. For exactly the reasons others say. I don't have to yank off the headset if I need to quickly find something or walk somewhere safely. Heck, I've even been able to check a text message on my phone with the headset still on and even answer it. Not easily, of course, but I could do it. LOL!

And, as others have said, it also disappears for me personally when I get engaged into my VR experiences. I don't notice it at all. Though, if you can easily get to your lights, I can offer one suggestion for night time VR at least.

When I am using my Oculus Go at night I have taken to the habit of turning all the lights off to help reduce the glare/god rays. That has the added benefit of making the nose gap basically imperceptible. Obviously, though, that only works if you have a lamp nearby or have a way to turn them on without moving. I have an Amazon Echo device, so I just ask Alexa to turn the lights on/off for me. :smile:

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
okay that's just too disgusting - so I'll delete it... 😛

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

relaxculus
Expert Protege
Light leaking here break the immersion.
My nose (not big) also hit the plastic case.
Is it normal?? On gearvr its fine.