cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Now Ahead Of Vive In Steam Survey

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am surprised that nobody has posted this or mentioned it tbh.

More troubles for HTC, and if the Vive Pro is too expensive they won't sell too many of those to consumers either.

Perhaps they should have cut the price of the Vive to match the Rift, delayed launching the Vive Pro until next year and upped the resolution from 1.5K to 2K..?

Details here:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

WVR: 5.38%
Vive: 45.38%
Rift: 47.31%
DK2: 1.95%
DK1: 0% (why include that in the figures? lol)

And things are going to get worse for HTC when Oculus cut the price of the Rift again later this year. My money would be on either another Summer Of Rift permanent cut to $299/£299 or $349/£349 and if they don't cut the price this Summer they'll certainly do that before Christmas.

Personally I'm putting this marketshare drop to several factors:

1) HTC released the damn thing way too early. It was basically a late prototype released as a consumer version, their Crescent Bay equivalent.

2) The licencing of Valve's technology is too expensive which is making it difficult for them to drop their price apart from just ONE price cut from $799 to $599 in two years. The Vive is just too expensive, HTC have done the eact same thing with their phones and look to be doing the same thing with the Vive Pro.

3) Software. They're far behind in the software stakes, and Valve must bear a large part of the responsibility here too. The Lab was great, but it was basically a collection of good tech demos. And since the Vive launched, with the exception of Fallout 4 VR, the bundled software has been pretty poor compared to the ridiculous amount of VERY high quality free software with the Rift.

4) Competition from the WVR headsets at a MUCH cheaper price.

I'm sorry to say that it's looking unlikely, imo, that HTC will be able to keep their doors open and keep their lights on during the next 2 years which is disappointing because a) We don't want to lose a major VR player in the game and b) I've always really liked their phones. 😞

Now play nice everybody and try your best not to get banned or this thread locked, and feel free to go off topic...talk of food origins, nationality and anything else that's off topic that isn't offensive is very welcome here lololol 😄 😄 😄
262 REPLIES 262

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I just pull out the popcorn when it starts and post funny memes in between.
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Tbh, it is fun to follow the argument. It can be quite informative at times, and amusing at others. 

But it can get too painful to see certain someone twisting things so much just to make a point that convinces no one. Not anyone with an average ability to reason, at least. In that case I will just close the tab, and come back only when I am bored.

Agreed. The over-arching problem needs to be stopped at the source. Case in point, when someone says, "One of the reasons I post here so much is to point out the hypocrisy and contradictions," then that's probably a good indication that everyone would be healthier to just move on to their respective communities.

For me, one of the main reasons I come to the forum is to talk about the latest and greatest Oculus news; organize VR events with both the Rift and GO; and read/write VR experience reviews.

I'd be happy to never have another debate over the competition. But alas, those who prefer the competition are allowed to not only advocate for their product, but condemn those of us who enjoy our own.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Then I’ll do you a deal Zenbane, you go forwards without talking about HTC Corp, Vive, Windows MR, Pimax, Steam, SteamVR, Steam Hardware Survey, or any game that does not appear on Oculus Home and I will repay the favour and promise not to talk about Oculus, Oculus Rift, Touch, GO, Santa Cruz, Oculus Home or any of their games sold on the Oculus Store. Like for like. 

Who ever break first gets a 1 month ban! It’s a win win for everyone.

Didn't we try this last year? Seems familiar, but sure, I'll play along. Not sure how long I can hold out though! Besides, what's a 7th ban under my belt lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Ok do we start now?

One sec, I need to get the roasts all out first.

(NSFW)
Valve doesn't know sheit from shinola and thinks they're both white meat.

HTC sucks so much arse that toilet paper has been officially declared unnecessary.

Mathematics is the cudgel that cuts through Pimax's dignity like warm butter.

K, I'm ready!

o:)

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Dude half of the S talk starts because you are using this forum ad a rah rah look at HTC and other companies.

As of late this place feels more like a non Oculus forum where OC is bashed and fower post are made about other manufactures.

Or like in the post I went off on yesterday people who cannot grasp reality but keep posting that OC has to do something pretty much no other company supports.

WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

First quote my the terms from my post above and say you agree. And we’re off.

This feels so legally binding!

Atmos73 said:

Then I’ll do you a deal Zenbane, you go forwards without talking about HTC Corp, Vive, Windows MR, Pimax, Steam, SteamVR, Steam Hardware Survey, or any game that does not appear on Oculus Home and I will repay the favour and promise not to talk about Oculus, Oculus Rift, Touch, GO, Santa Cruz, Oculus Home or any of their games sold on the Oculus Store. Like for like. 

Who ever break first gets a 1 month ban! It’s a win win for everyone.

I agree. I agree, hard.

LZoltowski
Champion
That is an awful bet, here is a better one

@Atmos73 DOESNT post anything about HTC, PImax, SteamVR for 1 month
@Zenbane ONLY posts about HTC, Pimax, SteamVR for 1 month

Neither can say anything negative about the brands.

Now that would be a show.I would watch  😄 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer

That is an awful bet, here is a better one

@Atmos73 DOESNT post anything about HTC, PImax, SteamVR for 1 month
@Zenbane ONLY posts about HTC, Pimax, SteamVR for 1 month

Neither can say anything negative about the brands.

Now that would be a show.I would watch  😄 

This new bet is effectively forcing both parties into self-imposed ban, because neither will post anything. It will be a very boring show indeed...

We'll just be eating our popcorns and getting fat for no reason at all.

Evileyes
Rising Star

Atmos73 said:

So it begins...

i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
https://ts.la/mark56706

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It's been 30 minutes. Don't think I'm gonna make it folks...