cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL-2 Makes Me Giggle Like A Little Schoolboy...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
who has just planted a stink bomb in the headmaster's office!

Seriously, this has just got to be the best VR flight simulator out there - and when you can fly well-modelled aircraft and do things like this in them...

eoiqi1owmi4e.jpg

30uishgmn0fx.jpg

al5dhs2kzwil.jpg

94foti9ttd2q.jpg

mf7i9slhp5kt.jpg

qhir0ihp5p87.jpg

7v98dfo4zfuf.jpg

aiiytmsdslq5.jpg

t73npt269n78.jpg

You'll be laughing, too!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
142 REPLIES 142

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
"Tie me kangaroo down, sport. Tie me kangaroo down...."

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Well I also have the T16000M + Throttle + Pedals set, and does what I want for Elite (although I don't use the pedals for ED), which was what I was mainly using it for and so far it seems OK for IL2 as well. Obviously not going to be as good as something that costs a lot more, but for the level I'm currently playing at, it's just fine.

Still keep spinning off the runway on my landings. I'm usually OK until the plane starts to slow down and then it will just spin off to one side or the other. I've also now set my controls up for manual rpm/pitch control and oil/water rads. So I'll start to try and get my head around that a bit too, although I'll probably stick to auto right now for the SP missions and stuff.

Also my screenshots seem to come out in that double vision and at a really low res. Is there anyway to sort that?

Chazmeister
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

Was just looking at the online store. I'm sorely tempted to get the Spitfire V - but then, I also hope to get Bodenplatte, and that includes the Spitfire IX, so mebbe I should buy Kuban and have some fun in the A-20 Havoc instead. That baby has gotta be good!

Can't wait for Bodenplatte - besides that Spit IX we'll have the Tempest, 'Stang, Jug and P-38 as a collector plane.

We've never had it so good B)

I think I've got quite enough there with BoS and BoM to see me through for a good while yet, not that I wouldn't want the Bodenplatte addon of course. Kind of hoping this will be out by the time I get around to that though.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Well I also have the T16000M + Throttle + Pedals set, and does what I want for Elite (although I don't use the pedals for ED), which was what I was mainly using it for and so far it seems OK for IL2 as well. Obviously not going to be as good as something that costs a lot more, but for the level I'm currently playing at, it's just fine.
yes - the T1600 and TWCS throttle are a completely different kettle of fish. They are a good price and for me, they are what I would recommend someone just starting, who wants to have a serious go at flight sims (but not too serious) or is either young or doesn't have the cash to spend. It's a good beginner set.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
So - was up again this evening - on the AG52 training server. Why don't we make that our unofficial meeting server? Anyone here fancies a go - look there first to see if any of the guys are up? Chaz and I flew there last time - it's got areas for landing & take-off practise, ground attack training and dogfighting.

This evening I went up in the 1942 mod IL-2, cos I wanted some practise in the machine I have started my IL-2 BoM career in.

I found that if I aim through the sight with my left eye (closing the right eye) the rounds land where I am aiming. It is probably the same, regardless of which eye you use, but if you try both eyes, you will just get messed up double double vision (reticule and target).

For some reason, the red reticule doesn't appear in aiming screenshots:

yw9aun9vsln3.jpg

Usually, just for a laugh, I will do a 'turn & burn' roll as I climb out away from the target - makes me harder to shoot at! 🙂

6cl9tnmxjc2x.jpg

You know you have let target fixation get the better of you when you look out the front and see this:

erf4qy0c0tal.jpg

At one point, I noticed that the water temps were well into the red - full scale deflection on that needle! Oil temps were pretty high, too:

bykjxiwg23au.jpg

Opening the radiators to 90% did the job - though as it wasn't doing a quick enough job (I lost one aircraft this evening, to overheating) I opened up the cowl flaps, too. I left those open for the remainder of the sortie and controlled the temps with the radiators alone. After cooling to around 70°, I set the radiators to 50% during combat and 30% on the cruise home...

4kawyslwbaxp.jpg

The home base is the other side of the map - but no matter, a couple of guys were keeping me entertained with their dogfighting practise - one in a Spit, the other a Bf-109.

Nice landing this time around...

f9ubyluv3vru.jpg

What cheesed me off a bit, though, was that despite getting a number of good hits on the Panzer IIIs, I didn't seem to have done much damage with the default server A/G payload. Checking the armement afterwrds, I could see why - the guns were pretty puny and really not up to the task - so I loaded up the decent 23mm cannon (the 37mm is even better - but not available) - keeping the AP rockets rather than the HE ones.

In IL-2 you can get all the info you need for each weapon that you can fit to your aircraft.

Just to make sure, I went to the payload screen for the default A/G payload in my career (the next mission is an anti-tank one, so ideal) - and sure enough it was exactly the same as the one I had chosen after doin so little damage with the server default one.

8unw6uyo563l.jpg

So bear these things in mind, guys (and gals?) when you jump into your IL-2 mounts - especially online.

Yes, I was giggling away again 😄

This sim is a complete hoot.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@Brixmis

Wow, you're already playing on a server. 

Do they allow HUD on the server? One problem I had was the server I was on didn't allow HUD aids. But in VR it's hard to see and ID planes at a distance. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Try the beginners server. They allow HUD and easy aircraft with no fiddling with controls. Great to get started 🙂 and @Brixmis the A20 is a blast and a must have 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The AG52 server we've been using is intended specifically for training (I think it's in the title of the server) and everything is allowed (HUD) with the exception of auto radiators. I even used the 'autopilot' on the cruise back to base, whilst chatting with Mrs Brix.

Yes, Tony - I'm trying to persuade the Mrs to let me shell out on Kuban and to get me Bodenplatte for Chrimbo. Think I'm getting there 🙂

edit - here's my own 'virtual' A-20, in the guise of the British version - the Boston III

5yzhzd8ni254.jpg

Wish it was available as a collector plane.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
btw guys (and gals) I highly recommend having a browse of this site:

https://stormbirds.blog/aircraft-gazetteer/

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I've started a career on the A20. In VR the cockpit is sublime and the presence of 10 others in formation with you is draw droppingingly good. Tell the missus you would like a pre pre Xmas pressie 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.