cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 will tell us the future of VR

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Oculus says it'll preview the next five years of Virtual Reality at Oculus Connect 5, on Sept. 26-27 in San Jose, California.

The Facebook-owned brand hosts its Oculus Connect conference every year, where it shows off its new developments in the world of VR. Curious what Facebook has in mind for the next stage of VR? Oculus Connect is probably the best place to find out.

Oculus says that it'll use Connect 5 to celebrate how much VR has accomplished in the past five years. It also claims it will "offer a sneak peek at what to expect in the next five years to come." We're eager to find out what that means.

Last year, Oculus unveiled the Oculus Go at Connect 4. The Oculus Go doesn't require you to be tethered to a phone/PC/gaming console and only costs $200, which makes it one of the best VR setups for the masses.

At Oculus Connect 3, the company announced VR chats for up to eight people and a release date for the Oculus Touch controllers to help navigate VR.

We'll find out what comes next in September.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-connect-5-will-tell-us-the-future-of-vr-on-september-26-27/
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
23 REPLIES 23

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

I just want them to ditch that crappy horrible controller design for SC. If they do that then that’s fantastic. 

You mean the rings being up top? You do know it's because the cameras on the headset have to see the IR lights on the controllers? It's the same grip as touch, now the thumbsticks are back, the only thing different is the inverted rings.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

I just want them to ditch that crappy horrible controller design for SC. If they do that then that’s fantastic. 

You mean the rings being up top? You do know it's because the cameras on the headset have to see the IR lights on the controllers? It's the same grip as touch, now the thumbsticks are back, the only thing different is the inverted rings.

Which will make them far more breakable and a lot more ugly.  They can design a MUCH better design and keep the same function.

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer

Digikid1 said:

Digikid1 said:

Which will make them far more breakable and a lot more ugly.  They can design a MUCH better design and keep the same function.

Considering how durable the current touch controllers are I think they understand durability and can maintain it using the SC design.  As for ugly I think it looks fine.  Aside from the ring position it's literally identical to touch.  But who cares...it's VR.  You won't even see it.  With the current grip design and move to a thumbstick it'll maintain parity with touch and will feel exactly the same while in VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think looks have to do with anything VR really - if anyone is talking about looks it's usually follow up with a design problem such as the pimax VR headset - it's just so big and bulky while looking silly because of it. Big and bulky is the design problem. They had to make it a bit longer so they can fit in the right size of lens in to bend the image around. Other wise, what does look have to do with VR? You can't see yourself so most of the time it won't matter how something is shape if it it gives a return into function.

Oculus CV2/half dome looks like instead they went with the same size - but push the limits up to 140 FOV witch is great - no compromise with the shape to make that happen. In the future - I can see us getting stronger lens using "flat lens technology" that will result in even a smaller design for the same FOV or allow more FOV for the same size. This means we might have a wearable the size of typical glasses and a headset that allows full FOV (meaning it takes all of your FOV). What would be interesting is if they could go down this route would be: How they will want to blend PC-VR with mobile so that it is a easier transition not just for the gamer - but real world use. The ability to play using the PC while connected and then using it on the "go" when you leave.

Im sure they will talk about PC VR - but I think OC5 will be more about SC more than anything. Even though SC makes sense to make from a position of market - I just find it hard for them to want to talk about it and then get a backlash from PC-VR over it. GO was fine with in its release cycle here and it makes sense from a mobile stand point enough that most people don't look at GO the same way they look at their CV. SC is to be somewhere in the middle - mean some will see it as a better go and wonder why they bought a go while others will not understand that SC is not PC-VR and wonder why they just didn't release a new VR headset for the PC. 

CV3 will be a combo of both CV and SV - meaning it'll make more sense then to just combine the two just as I said above for their next (next?) release cycle of their CV lines. In the future - what will split the difference will be shape/size than it will be about what it can interface with. CV will be "bulky" compare to on the "go" headsets. That is my 10 year prediction:)

Anonymous
Not applicable
We'll see both the Santa Cruz and CV2 at OC5. Santa Cruz will be released Q4 2018 and the CV2 will be released Q2 2019.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
There is no way they will release Santa Cruz and CV2 so close together. The reason being it might put someone off buying a Santa Cruz that owns a CV1. Well that's my thinking behind it.

CV2 end of 2019..

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
ivbw5q7otc7k.gif
So many predictions just let it happen man.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

There is no way they will release Santa Cruz and CV2 so close together. The reason being it might put someone off buying a Santa Cruz that owns a CV1. Well that's my thinking behind it.

CV2 end of 2019..

There isn't going to be a problem releasing them close together because both are aimed at different demographics. The Santa Cruz is a standalone headset powered by mobile chipsets, not a high-end PC VR device.

Oculus and Facebook know that competitors will be releasing 2K per eye high-end PC VR headsets next year and that they won't want current CV1 owners jumping ship and leaving the Oculus ecosystem for SteamVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

CV2 end of 2019..

There isn't going to be a problem releasing them close together because both are aimed at different demographics. The Santa Cruz is a standalone headset powered by mobile chipsets, not a high-end PC VR device.

Oculus and Facebook know that competitors will be releasing 2K per eye high-end PC VR headsets next year and that they won't want current CV1 owners jumping ship and leaving the Oculus ecosystem for SteamVR.

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

RedRizla said:

CV2 end of 2019..

It's a bit like Apple releasing iPhone 8 and iPhone X ....  at the same time
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂