cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can anyone tell me if this motherboard CPU combo will work?

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
Hi, Just got a used Rift and found my system not up to speed.  Not as bitter as some people posting in here, so willing to make some upgrades but don't want to spend too much.  Found a motherboard CPU combo that is reasonably priced but don't want to get anything unless I'm sure it will work. 
 AMD 7th Gen A8 9500 APU Processor and MSI A320 Pro-VH Plus Motherboard.

Can anyone confirm or deny the functionality of this?
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes that would do you very nicely 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, Ryzen will be a lot better and that seems like a good deal. Note that CPU is a little newer, and you'll need a newer BIOS on the motherboard to use it. The MB may come with a recently updated BIOS and you'll be fine, but just keep in mind that if it's an earlier batch it may not support the CPU out-of-box.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RattyUK
Trustee
As no-one else has mentioned it...  The 1070 will be fine @Elfin-Caradoc  🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

31 REPLIES 31

RattyUK
Trustee
I don't think that onboard graphics (from the APU) would be meaty enough for the demands of the Rift, but if you can find a comparison aganst Nvidia's GTX1050 / 970 you would be better informed.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion
dotn you mean A8 9600?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
LZoltowski, No the specs were correct.  I can however, get the A8 9600.  would it work?

RattyUK, Yea, after looking at it better, it really wont meet any of my other slot needs but what about this board?

Asus Prime B350 Plus

And to both, they should work together, right?

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
Also, I'm running an Nvidia GTX 1070.  I don't really know specs much anymore and know that the model numbers don't always equate to better performance.  I am assuming it is good enough because it passed the software check.  Only my CPU didn't. 

Oh, and Thanks for you help and input.  Greatly appreciated!

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Don't bother with that terrible CPU. I recommend nothing less than the AMD Ryzen 3 series but Ryzen 5 or an Intel i5 (8000 series only) would be more appropriate.

Oh, and what CPU do you have? The compatibility tool is pretty useless, it really doesn't say if your system will run VR or if it will, how well.

Edit: Another thought, given how truly terrible the AMD A-Series CPU's are, I'd be shocked if the CPU you have is somehow worse than them. They are arguably the worst CPU's ever made.

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, that CPU won't be very good. See the guide here:
https://support.oculus.com/170128916778795/
The AMD Ryzen 3 1200 would be the lowest that will pass. You'll also need a dedicated graphics card, such as a NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
BeatsyBaiter, Ouch!  You hurt me right in my wallet.  Fine, reality sucks and Virtual Reality costs bucks.  So, Again, Since you ALL are so helpful, even if it does hurt AND I type run on sentences, I will try to get the best bang for my buck. Oh, and are you saying that my video card is not capable? Nvidia GTX 1070.  That's what I already have and it said that past.

I Have the Inateck superspeed 7port PCI-e arriving tomorrow, which I know I need.  So this is what I am finding on Amazon with delivery tomorrow.

Ryzen 5 2400G                                       $155.91 from Amazon WOW
GIGABYTE GA-AX370                               $88.22 from Amazon too
and my video card

Would this be a better setup?

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
Yea, and I obviously can spell passed correctly

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
And CAN NOT even sarcastically comment on my own mistakes properly.