cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can anyone tell me if this motherboard CPU combo will work?

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
Hi, Just got a used Rift and found my system not up to speed.  Not as bitter as some people posting in here, so willing to make some upgrades but don't want to spend too much.  Found a motherboard CPU combo that is reasonably priced but don't want to get anything unless I'm sure it will work. 
 AMD 7th Gen A8 9500 APU Processor and MSI A320 Pro-VH Plus Motherboard.

Can anyone confirm or deny the functionality of this?
31 REPLIES 31

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
My extra comments of surprise about amazon were pretty pointless too since I deleted my statement that, I was looking at my local Fry's electronics first.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes that would do you very nicely 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
And hahaha ..
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, Ryzen will be a lot better and that seems like a good deal. Note that CPU is a little newer, and you'll need a newer BIOS on the motherboard to use it. The MB may come with a recently updated BIOS and you'll be fine, but just keep in mind that if it's an earlier batch it may not support the CPU out-of-box.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion

My extra comments of surprise about amazon were pretty pointless too since I deleted my statement that, I was looking at my local Fry's electronics first.

Welcome to the forums btw 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
As no-one else has mentioned it...  The 1070 will be fine @Elfin-Caradoc  🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, the 1070 is a great card. I missed that originally and thought they were trying to use APU. 
Also, welcome to the forum! I think you'll be happy with Ryzen.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yet I'm truly happy on my old Xeon Quad Duo 3GHz even if the Compatibility tells me otherwise 😉

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
The Ryzen 5 2400G, AX370 motherboard and GTX 1070 should work pretty well. I'm still curious as to the CPU you currently have though. And there is one other part that needs consideration, that's RAM. The world moved to DDR4 in 2016, so you'll need that too if replacing an older system. I know, the costs keep piling up. But the CPU you have may actually be fine even if the compatibility tool says otherwise. Really need to know what it is in order to say.

Elfin-Caradoc
Explorer
OK, so I "upgraded" my PC, basically built a new one a few pieces and frustrations at a time.  Now that I FINALLY have Windows 10 ( I had to upgrade) installed and all drivers updated I was able to install and run the Oculus software.  Got everything attached and setup, put on the Rift and it said that my computer doesn't meet Rift's minimums  (Ryzen 5 2400G  AX370 Gaming MoBo 16GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1070, Inatech Superspeed 7 port USB PCIe card.

So what gives????  The software runs OK but that message is annoying and concerning.

Sincerely
If It's Not One Thing, It's Another.