cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus should re-think Core 2.0 and just go with the GO environment

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have a Dell WMR and Rift headset.  I also have an Oculus GO.  I really think that Oculus should re-think the core 2.   have tried and gone back to the previous version. 

What I would like is a similar GO version.  Most VR users do not need a House that you can play around with.  All this useless stuff just uses more resources.  I do not use any of the House options (like multiple screens in diff rooms) on WMR and I'm glad the Steam Room just shows what I need.

The Go browser and it's options work great and I would think that this would be easily transferable to the rift.  Plus it may make it easier for to transfer over to. 

There is no way that with the current resolutions I would want to use the Rift 2.0 desktop as a vitrual desktpop.  Same thing goes with trying to us your desktop with WMR, totally useless, and not much better than core 2.0 imho.  

In bowser mode the GO is fine to use for simple keyboard inputs, much better than Core 2.0 imho.  With Core 2.0 you generally find that the keyboard or dashboard obstructs everything. Using the WMR Edge window works ok.

Given that both the Go and Rift come from Oculus you think that this would be pretty easy to do.  Maybe not?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
29 REPLIES 29

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Options are always good so that would be good to choose but I think you underestimate how many use home 2 features
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
I like the GO interface but for me it's too plain. Home 2.0 is great, I like building my home in VR, and proudly display my achievements, things are going to get super exciting this summer as two big things are coming

• Multiplayer is coming to Home 2.0, where you can hang out in virtual homes with your friends
  • You will be able to import custom assets and show them off to your friends
Although the resolution on the Rift may be insufficient for Home 2.0 virtual desktop stuff at the moment, they are thinking and building ahead, HMD's with much better optics and resolution are coming, and they are building for the future.

Within a year or so we will have new gear!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
In a WORLD of shooters, a simple home builder is a breath of fresh air!!.  imho.
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃

RattyUK
Trustee
I honestly can't see any loss of performance with games with the Oculus Home / Core software running prior to launching, but as I haven't used it any other way as I like the option to go to multiple homes I may not be the best judge 🙂

Not having a GO to compare, nor any intention to add one to my collection means I'll never know...

But agree that choice is always good.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Options are always good so that would be good to choose but I think you underestimate how many use home 2 features

Sorry, and I do not want to seem rude, but what  core 2.0 options do you find necessary and useful?  Going into virtual houses like this and WMR cliff house to move furniture around and setting up different screening rooms is not too useful imho.  Trying to use VR systems like the Rift right now to replace your Windows Desktop is pretty silly, esp. with the current VR screen resolutions.  I much rather do this on a normal PC screen,  Simple web browsing, including YouTube works pretty well though.  

I think that the Oculus Browser on the Go is almost perfect for web browsing (even has a private mode) and even if you need to type a few things, the virtual keyboard works very well, much better than the core 2.0.  I really do not see why Oculus has not just ported this over to the Rift.

If you do not already have an Oculus Go, I suggest you have a look at one.  I think that the operating system on this is almost perfect and I do not understand why Oculus has not used this for the current Rift updates.  I think that the Steam room in SteamVR also is very good.  Both are sweet and simple.  All you need to select games/apps and if necessary. change a few settings.  Also, unlike the Rift, the Oculus Go settings allow you to change Brightness btw.

The Oculus Go has changed the way I think that VR systems should work right now.  Sweet and simple, and a lot less gpu/cpu taxing.  I think that it would be a good idea for Oculus to use this template for the Rift because it will make it a lot easier for new VR people to jump over from standalone to higher powered VR PC's.  It should also make the current Rift system a bit less cpu/gpu demanding.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
@TomCgcmfc   ??? Really..?  Opinions are like assholes mate, everybody's got one..
in my humble/honest opinion, if you've got the cash you should buy us all a GO so we can see this fancy interface for ourselves, but that's just my 2cents.

What I guess i'm trying to say mate is that I for one Love my Home, and can't wait for the upcoming features they have planned as mentioned above, and how aren't options a good thing?, presently you do actually have the option to get out of 2.0 and go back to standard, do you not find that helpful and save you the resources you're after?

Do you have any idea how many people play Fallout 4 just for the home/base building aspect of the game mate?. I can't give you exact figures obviously, but there are youtube channels devoted to it.

I can understand that you're very impressed with the GO, I've not had the pleasure of seeing it so can't speak to it, but as the fellas have mentioned above, the current 2.0 design is forward thinking, and should hold a lot of appeal to new users in the future, with the next gen hmd's with better resolutions (like the GO) and improved hardware, that will eventually come to pass. Have patience mate or like I said, maybe opt out..
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Go interface is much closer to the original Rift "home" as for no one uses it and it is unusable as a desktop, I often drop into dash to check info if I am in vr, I play any decent Youtube video on dash as I have the Rift setup to take as long to put on as my headphones. I find Core 2 home a very relaxing environment if you just want chill for a short while.
TomCgcmfc what you want and what everyone else want is often not one and the same thing!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
The oculus go dash is far more useful and less obtrusive imho.

Just like the wmr cliff House I found moving around in it and setting up screens gets s bit old after a while.  I gotta think that these kind of features tax your pc’s resources and that it would be better to utilize them for actual VR games/apps.

I have opted out of core 2.0 and any betas.  My worry is that core 2.0 may soon become mandatory.  Just my opinion but I would rather the original rift home got a Go makeover.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Dash is awesome and the access to the Desktop is great. I use it often to quickly look something up or, importantly, start Steam and then directly launch your fav Steam VR game without having to load that SteamVR environment.