cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom VFR works perfectly on the Rifts and Quests - no controller modifications needed!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Due to bad reviews I waited months before I finally bought this game. I don't think that reviews older than January 30 2018 represent this game anymore - Doom VFR is much improved due to full locomotion support and more. Actually, next to Lone Echo I'm trying hard to think of a better VR game than Doom VFR - and I can't!

8rgtrcwna3ob.jpg

I'm using Oculus Rift, I'm forcing super-sampling 2.0 on everything (thanks Oculus Tray Tool) and due to compatibility with some older games I'm still using Forceware 385.28. I held my breath, purchased Doom VFR and launched the game - and it just worked - perfectly. No missing textures and smooth framerate. I did lower anti-aliasing to 1xTAA (couldn't see benefit from higher levels with super-sampling 2.0) and I did a few times observe some pauses with virtual texturing page set to Ultra - so I set that to High (couldn't see any difference, only once in two hours did I notice a pause using High - I guess some texture swapping happened). I'm using GTX 1080 8GB (oc 2100 Mhz boost, 11 GHz ram), i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 Ghz) processor, 16 GB 3200 MHz system memory and Win10. Very important: remember to select "Gritty" rendering - it's so much better and sharper than the blurry "Default" rendering!

ss_8988ba5f61cfaec788f3a8d81f475e4efa93464b.1920x1080.jpg

Textures are out-of-this-world awesome - you can even see small scratches on windows and metal surfaces. Textures make monsters look simply photo-realistic. A few years back many games had prerendered intros with worse graphics than Doom VFR in-game graphics. But again, you need to select "Gritty" rendering to really show the utterly amazing textures. And due to limited headset res you'll need to be very close to textures to really see and enjoy them (not easy to enjoy Cyberdemon textures 😉 Monster animations are top of the line too, monsters may crawl up pipes and climb stairs to get to you. And the beholders are breathtakingly awesome! Using FAST full locomotion you'll simply find no better action in VR. Gameplay is just as fast as Doom1-2 and Doom4. Guns/weapons are fantastic too and can be upgraded. I'm left-handed and first I was annoyed that I couldn't switch weapon-hand, but it's no big deal - and I can throw grenades using my left arm, which is perfect (I suck at throwing with my right hand and arm) - later the grenade launcher is perfect for my left hand too.. 

ss_c108159b1edf21e1772148f19de83ccc7c527979.1920x1080.jpg

One unique thing - when you jump in the real world you jump in the game. A-w-e-s-o-m-e 🙂 You can also jump by quickly lifting your hands upwards. Use the controller to run and then jump with your real feet - then you'll jump forward in the game! At first I didn't like the analogue head rotation movement control, but it really works, make the game feel so much more real, and I think it's so much better than same-speed digital rotation. 

So I've become a believer in Doom VFR. It's simply awesome. It's the best adrenaline pumping VR action you'll find. And although the in-game environment is rather spooky, it's just a great feeling finally being on Mars - all previous Doom games was just a warm-up to the real thing: Welcome to Doom VFR!

BTW, I suck at VR horror games, my nerves are thin - so I chose the easiest difficult in the game - but it's not really hard - go for "hurt me plenty" if you've tried Doom before. Note that there's tons of gore and dismembered corpses in-game, this game is not for kids!

Thank you Bethesda and Zenimax for letting Rift users experience this game - and for not letting Rift users become hostages in a legal fight we're not part of.

My rating: 95%

ss_d8c0e71b54322d7d3803f3325196bd7cc21a290c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d19d726bb14af6c476861defcb5a1f8e01cd58e1.1920x1080.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

86 REPLIES 86

MowTin
Expert Trustee

In home it simply stays on the loading screen for AHK which you can ignore and just start Doom in Steam.
Can I Unbind ASWD and allow Smooth Locomotion in game I wonder for dynamic joystick?

Yes, that's what I do.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW - this I much like Doom VFR is working on my Rift - although I don't use any AHK files and can't rotate digitally - actually to me it's not necessary trying to improve controls, controls are really great as they are (ability to switch weapon hand would still be nice though):

https://youtu.be/gOHJcJJ620g

Analogue headset rotation really makes Doom VFR stand out in the most positive way, feels much more like being there - including jumping by moving your arms upward (or jumping in the real world = headset-controlled jumping). Furthermore, won't the AHK remove the ability to switch between each weapon's firing modes?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured out the edit to the Script to rid the Left Touch. Remember to enable Smooth Locomotion in Menu again to allow dynamic movement. This is the only last commands needed which enable only the Right Touch: -

(after this)
; Now to do something with them.

;Right X axis Plus
 if (rightX > 0.2) and (oldRX <= 0.2)
  Send, {p down}
 if (rightX <= 0.2) and (oldRX > 0.2)
  Send, {p up}
 ;Right X axis Negative 
 if (rightX < -0.2) and (oldRX >= -0.2)
  Send, {o down}
 if (rightX >= -0.2) and (oldRX <- 0.2)
  Send, {o up}

oldRX:= rightX

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I wish they ported the entire game. How hard could it be? It's just maps with enemies. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was/is due to a court case between Oculus and their devs.

huliqan
Adventurer
Oculus runtime 1.27 updated...and AutoHotkey no more works :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

MowTin
Expert Trustee

huliqan said:

Oculus runtime 1.27 updated...and AutoHotkey no more works :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

When was this update? I've been having problem with autohotkey for a couple of weeks. I haven't had a chance to play Doom VFR again because of this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Home Release is still 1.26 and has no update. If you ever need to remove AutoHotKey is easy. Delete the folder and the 2 Registry complete Trees. It might get it working again with another install by doing this but test without checking Always Open With.

RattyUK
Trustee
Is the original poster saying that he can run Doom VFR without keybinding scripts?

Currently this game is sitting in the 'unused' pile as it is anything but useable with Touch controllers for me.  turning off Steam VR beta allows some control, but, for me the game is unplayable as it stands.  Maybe Bethesda will do an update or patch that gives native support to Rift Touch in the future, fingers crossed.

No great loss as I've played the pancake version to death, but it would have been nice to have a play in VR.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RattyUK said:

Is the original poster saying that he can run Doom VFR without keybinding scripts?

Currently this game is sitting in the 'unused' pile as it is anything but useable with Touch controllers for me.  turning off Steam VR beta allows some control, but, for me the game is unplayable as it stands.  Maybe Bethesda will do an update or patch that gives native support to Rift Touch in the future, fingers crossed.

No great loss as I've played the pancake version to death, but it would have been nice to have a play in VR.

He is indeed 😉 I don't use any script - I just installed the game on Steam, put on my Rift headset and played the game. Along with Lone Echo and Moss, Doom VFR is among the very best VR games.

I never had a need to use any script. Admitted, at first it was annoying not to be able to turn digitally - but then I grew extremely fond of headset-directed turning. It's much more like in the real world - sure, I totally lose any idea of my orientation in my VR room and easily get tangled up in the hdmi wire, but it's totally worth it. Analogue turning speed (=your speed in the real world) is much better than digital turning (same speed constantly). 

IMHO, Doom VFR could benefit from a patch making it possible to switch weapon hand (I'm left-handed and  forced to carry my primary weapon in my right hand in Doom VFR), but everything else is perfect - or close enough 😉