cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i use my rift without having to rely on your buggy software?

WotanReborn
Honored Guest
Once again I can't play VR games I have on steam because to launch SteamVR I first have to launch your unstable software that once again is refusing to work and throwing out the good old "We're having trouble starting Oculus" for 30 minutes straight.

Either make sure your software is reliable or let people use the device they bought for an absurd amount of money to play games on Steam VR that's actually reliable without having to also use your software as a second layer of DRM...
29 REPLIES 29

RattyUK
Trustee
Perhaps starting a support ticket might be a way to get to the bottom of the issue?

Maybe I am fortunate in never having any issues in launching Steam games to date and having those games appear in the Oculus library following their use.

That said, I feel for you in the frustration it must bring...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, I have yet to encounter this issue myself other than the one time in March. Software is super stable for me, and works even with my 2 steam games..

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I wish there was a work around for when im in places that have no internet.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they say in Thailand 😉

Sure enough this then will block Home to Launch. If you did this without the box ticked it runs Home as before. It explains why some users may get black screens for other reasons in their machines besides cables. Unticking will resume normal operation without needing any reboot. I do confirm I do get better performance to raise SS by doing this.

Netheri
Rising Star

MAC_MAN86 said:

Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they same in Thailand 😉

Holy moly, that's genius! And we get to use the Home Dash alongside with Steams! You saved the day! This must be copypasted/linked forward, if you, MAC_MAN86, allow it? I can confirm that this trick worked with Core 2.0 (i'm not in public test).

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem. Sure enough this then will block Home to Launch. If you did this without the box ticked it runs Home as before. It explains why some users may get black screens for other reasons in their machines besides cables. Unticking will resume normal operation without needing any reboot. I do confirm I do get better performance to raise SS by doing this.
Incidentally this is how to best get 1 RIFT + 1 VIVE to work at the same time on even a single GTX980 whilst your monitor is focused on the VIVE.

Netheri
Rising Star
Home or Home 2 are usable BOTH (if you have participated in Core 2.0) if you click them open through normal "can this program make changes to computer blaa blaa" dialogue. I tried with the OculusVR executable myself and there was the Home1. Tried it with Home2-Win64-Shipping, there's Home2 ( if needed, library etc all work from Dash just fine without Home(s) ). Noticed though that SteamVR's Virtual Dektop worked right with Home1 but with Home2 it still goes in 4 pieces at least in 2 physical monitor setup.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find this good since 1.26 became a memory hog. I don't even run Beta Core2 and it still has impacted performance. It once was super good. Now it's super good to bypass Home VR altogether!
Nothing wrong at all to simply start games/apps on your Desktop Home instead. They should've had this all along in full open knowledge.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing just crossed my mind on doing this, if we get any Updates I will want to uncheck this box firstly just to be absolutely sure there is no misconfiguration in the process!