New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus should re-think Core 2.0 and just go with the GO environment

TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
I have a Dell WMR and Rift headset.  I also have an Oculus GO.  I really think that Oculus should re-think the core 2.   have tried and gone back to the previous version. 

What I would like is a similar GO version.  Most VR users do not need a House that you can play around with.  All this useless stuff just uses more resources.  I do not use any of the House options (like multiple screens in diff rooms) on WMR and I'm glad the Steam Room just shows what I need.

The Go browser and it's options work great and I would think that this would be easily transferable to the rift.  Plus it may make it easier for to transfer over to. 

There is no way that with the current resolutions I would want to use the Rift 2.0 desktop as a vitrual desktpop.  Same thing goes with trying to us your desktop with WMR, totally useless, and not much better than core 2.0 imho.  

In bowser mode the GO is fine to use for simple keyboard inputs, much better than Core 2.0 imho.  With Core 2.0 you generally find that the keyboard or dashboard obstructs everything. Using the WMR Edge window works ok.

Given that both the Go and Rift come from Oculus you think that this would be pretty easy to do.  Maybe not?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I like the GO interface but for me it's too plain. Home 2.0 is great, I like building my home in VR, and proudly display my achievements, things are going to get super exciting this summer as two big things are coming

• Multiplayer is coming to Home 2.0, where you can hang out in virtual homes with your friends
    • You will be able to import custom assets and show them off to your friends
    Although the resolution on the Rift may be insufficient for Home 2.0 virtual desktop stuff at the moment, they are thinking and building ahead, HMD's with much better optics and resolution are coming, and they are building for the future.

Within a year or so we will have new gear!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    In a WORLD of shooters, a simple home builder is a breath of fresh air!!.  imho.
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    I honestly can't see any loss of performance with games with the Oculus Home / Core software running prior to launching, but as I haven't used it any other way as I like the option to go to multiple homes I may not be the best judge :)

Not having a GO to compare, nor any intention to add one to my collection means I'll never know...

But agree that choice is always good.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    Options are always good so that would be good to choose but I think you underestimate how many use home 2 features
    Sorry, and I do not want to seem rude, but what  core 2.0 options do you find necessary and useful?  Going into virtual houses like this and WMR cliff house to move furniture around and setting up different screening rooms is not too useful imho.  Trying to use VR systems like the Rift right now to replace your Windows Desktop is pretty silly, esp. with the current VR screen resolutions.  I much rather do this on a normal PC screen,  Simple web browsing, including YouTube works pretty well though.  

I think that the Oculus Browser on the Go is almost perfect for web browsing (even has a private mode) and even if you need to type a few things, the virtual keyboard works very well, much better than the core 2.0.  I really do not see why Oculus has not just ported this over to the Rift.

If you do not already have an Oculus Go, I suggest you have a look at one.  I think that the operating system on this is almost perfect and I do not understand why Oculus has not used this for the current Rift updates.  I think that the Steam room in SteamVR also is very good.  Both are sweet and simple.  All you need to select games/apps and if necessary. change a few settings.  Also, unlike the Rift, the Oculus Go settings allow you to change Brightness btw.

The Oculus Go has changed the way I think that VR systems should work right now.  Sweet and simple, and a lot less gpu/cpu taxing.  I think that it would be a good idea for Oculus to use this template for the Rift because it will make it a lot easier for new VR people to jump over from standalone to higher powered VR PC's.  It should also make the current Rift system a bit less cpu/gpu demanding.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    @TomCgcmfc   ??? Really..?  Opinions are like assholes mate, everybody's got one..
    in my humble/honest opinion, if you've got the cash you should buy us all a GO so we can see this fancy interface for ourselves, but that's just my 2cents.

What I guess i'm trying to say mate is that I for one Love my Home, and can't wait for the upcoming features they have planned as mentioned above, and how aren't options a good thing?, presently you do actually have the option to get out of 2.0 and go back to standard, do you not find that helpful and save you the resources you're after?

Do you have any idea how many people play Fallout 4 just for the home/base building aspect of the game mate?. I can't give you exact figures obviously, but there are youtube channels devoted to it.

I can understand that you're very impressed with the GO, I've not had the pleasure of seeing it so can't speak to it, but as the fellas have mentioned above, the current 2.0 design is forward thinking, and should hold a lot of appeal to new users in the future, with the next gen hmd's with better resolutions (like the GO) and improved hardware, that will eventually come to pass. Have patience mate or like I said, maybe opt out..
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    The Go interface is much closer to the original Rift "home" as for no one uses it and it is unusable as a desktop, I often drop into dash to check info if I am in vr, I play any decent Youtube video on dash as I have the Rift setup to take as long to put on as my headphones. I find Core 2 home a very relaxing environment if you just want chill for a short while.
    TomCgcmfc what you want and what everyone else want is often not one and the same thing!
    The oculus go dash is far more useful and less obtrusive imho.

Just like the wmr cliff House I found moving around in it and setting up screens gets s bit old after a while.  I gotta think that these kind of features tax your pc’s resources and that it would be better to utilize them for actual VR games/apps.

I have opted out of core 2.0 and any betas.  My worry is that core 2.0 may soon become mandatory.  Just my opinion but I would rather the original rift home got a Go makeover.

• ThmoasThmoas Posts: 339
    Trinity
    edited June 2018
    Dash is awesome and the access to the Desktop is great. I use it often to quickly look something up or, importantly, start Steam and then directly launch your fav Steam VR game without having to load that SteamVR environment.
    Glad to hear this works great for you.  With the original Oculus home I can also launch Steam VR apps without going into the Steam house.  Once I use a Steam VR game through the Steam house it seems to magically appear on my oculus home screen library.  Does not always work 100% all of the time though.

I found that the core 2.0 desktop was very hard to read and youtube vids seem to get a lot of stutter.  Both are much better with the Go, and even WMR.

Nexus 6
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Glad to hear this works great for you.  With the original Oculus home I can also launch Steam VR apps without going into the Steam house.  Once I use a Steam VR game through the Steam house it seems to magically appear on my oculus home screen library.  Does not always work 100% all of the time though.

I found that the core 2.0 desktop was very hard to read and youtube vids seem to get a lot of stutter.  Both are much better with the Go, and even WMR.
    What spec pc are you running the Rift on? I am using an i5 3570 and a gtx970 and all youtube videos are as smooth as silk, could it be your internet buffering?
    edited June 2018
    I have a i7 7700 2.8/3.6 32gb ram gtx1060 w/6gb ram.  Internet is high speed cable.  Pretty sure that the desktop, incl YT vids unstable pic is software related.  I never have similar problems with wmr /Dell headset.

I should note the problem is more more distortion than actual stuttering,

• HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited June 2018
    I have both. 

Like you, I didnt think I was ever going to use home 2.0.  Then I started to do some basic decorating which led to more ideas and suddenly I spent hours getting things in my home just right. Then they introduced the feature where you could see example homes, and I ended up with even more ideas...answering a lot of "What the hell am I going to do with this [insert object here]?" questions.  If anything, I find that small space to be too limiting.  

I think the Oculus Go interface is suited for the sitting Go experience.  There is no 6DOF so there's no need for something like home.  You only get about two hours of battery life, so you're going to want to get directly to whatever it is you put to Go on to do.  You can already do the same thing in the Rift.  Just open your library and select your game.  Or just open you app from the Oculus desktop menu before putting on your HMD.  They also have pre-defined rooms, so just pick one and ignore the world building.
    Wintermute
    If we didn't have home, how could we enter the home challenge each month? :)

I have a lot of fun messing around in 4 homes and visiting those friends that are doing the same, quite relaxing really.

The rest of the time in VR playing a variety of games - must look further into FO4 and home building...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,204 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Options are always good so that would be good to choose but I think you underestimate how many use home 2 features
    Sorry, and I do not want to seem rude, but what  core 2.0 options do you find necessary and useful?  Going into virtual houses like this and WMR cliff house to move furniture around and setting up different screening rooms is not too useful imho.  Trying to use VR systems like the Rift right now to replace your Windows Desktop is pretty silly, esp. with the current VR screen resolutions.  I much rather do this on a normal PC screen,  Simple web browsing, including YouTube works pretty well though.  

I think that the Oculus Browser on the Go is almost perfect for web browsing (even has a private mode) and even if you need to type a few things, the virtual keyboard works very well, much better than the core 2.0.  I really do not see why Oculus has not just ported this over to the Rift.

If you do not already have an Oculus Go, I suggest you have a look at one.  I think that the operating system on this is almost perfect and I do not understand why Oculus has not used this for the current Rift updates.  I think that the Steam room in SteamVR also is very good.  Both are sweet and simple.  All you need to select games/apps and if necessary. change a few settings.  Also, unlike the Rift, the Oculus Go settings allow you to change Brightness btw.

The Oculus Go has changed the way I think that VR systems should work right now.  Sweet and simple, and a lot less gpu/cpu taxing.  I think that it would be a good idea for Oculus to use this template for the Rift because it will make it a lot easier for new VR people to jump over from standalone to higher powered VR PC's.  It should also make the current Rift system a bit less cpu/gpu demanding.

With go can you use the desktop features whilst playing ? Eg in elite dangerous I can add a window inside my cockpit linking to my captain's log app. I can have another to control my music and even watch an episode of something on TV if I choose all from the cockpit of my ship.
    Forgetting all the home building, the cinema and the desktop app what I listed above is imo genuine gamee enhancing features we could not do in the old dash
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Ya, I guess if you want to multitask and enjoy moving furniture around, the new core 2.0 rules!

edited June 2018
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, I guess if you want to multitask and enjoy moving furniture around, the new core 2.0 rules!
    No need to be sarcastic about it..... No one is saying your suggestion of a trimmed down UI is not a bad idea as an option. But your snark against those who actually like the dash reflects poorly imo. Why remove something that many like
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player
    I like the GO interface but for me it's too plain. Home 2.0 is great, I like building my home in VR, and proudly display my achievements, things are going to get super exciting this summer as two big things are coming

• Multiplayer is coming to Home 2.0, where you can hang out in virtual homes with your friends
    Although the resolution on the Rift may be insufficient for Home 2.0 virtual desktop stuff at the moment, they are thinking and building ahead, HMD's with much better optics and resolution are coming, and they are building for the future.

My home looks like a hoarder invaded and took up residence so im not sure how much room I will have for others.
    What with the two new Griffen Statues and all of my Royal Guard standing by pillars ready to pounce when I demand it.

WAAAGH!
    edited June 2018
    TomCgcmfc said:
    No need to be sarcastic about it..... No one is saying your suggestion of a trimmed down UI is not a bad idea as an option. But your snark against those who actually like the dash reflects poorly imo. Why remove something that many like
    Sorry but I did not mean to be sarcastic.  I just meant that I now understand that there are a couple of reasons to stick with core 2.0.  These are not compelling reasons for me but I appreciate that they may be important to many others.

My main concern is that we soon may be forced into Core 2.0.  Maybe by then it will be much improved and allow you to pick minimalistic environments in order to minimise pc workload.  My current pc (i7 7700hq gtx1060) specs are ok for most VR right now but so-so with some Simulators (Realflight 8 and Assetto Corsa, for example).  These can tax these limits so I need to be able to utilise all the PC resources I can into these rather than into a fancy core 2.0 interface.

For example, with core 2.0 in order to maintain 90fps on one of these sims (Realflight 8, standalone not Steam version) I was only able to increase supersampling to 1.1.  When I went back to the original home environment I was able to increase the SS to 1.3.

I agree I hope they are convinced to keep users with the option to not use it. Hell I would consider joining you if it makes that big of a difference
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018

I want a new feature.  The ability to use a dual monitor system for everyone.  I have never been able to get Home 2.0 working properly because it always makes my rift into a virtual monitor then places it diagonal from monitor one, then you can't move it at all and it kills a monitor.  This causes all kinds of problems on the regular desktop, so I've opted out of beta.  This has been a problem since day 1 and it's beginning to look like it'll never be fixed.  I just hope they don't take 2.0 out of beta before they fix this and then force us all to use a broken piece of software.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Sorry, and I do not want to seem rude, but what  core 2.0 options do you find necessary and useful? 

I find almost all of it to be gimicky garbage that eats up resources for no reason.  I have no interest in designing my on virtual room and inviting my fake friends I've never met in real life to come hang out so we can do what?  Move my furniture around?  What I would find useful that you could do through Dash 2.0 is this:  You could play a game like DCS World and overlay a youtube video in your cockpit and add opacity to it so it is translucent.  Then you can follow tutorials or watch videos while you are flying.  This would probably take an incredible amount of resources considering DCS World uses so much ram that 8 gb isn't really enough unless it's small missions in single player, 16gb is recommended for multiplayer missions of moderate size and large missions recommend 32 gb or ram.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,822 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Having BBC iplayer or Netflix in a window to the side whilst sculpting in medium... that alone is reason enough.

Yep choice is good too, but criticising a feature or being a little condescending (imho) to people who like the features just because of the legitimate concerns of losing the choice to use the original core 1.x environment is not so good.

I'll sign up to a campaign to maintain choice.

Also, as I've said before, I'd like Core 2 to be improved to eliminate GPU load when the HMD isn't in use (but Core 2 is still running) and in conjunction with GPU driver improvements, ensure that load is being reported in Windows which it currently isn't.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    edited June 2018
    Sorry and I don’t mean to be condescending but just pop over to the core 2 wants thread and see what are important addons to some guys 2.0 houses; pets and butlers, lol!

I if oculus can come out with a basic 2.0 core environment (maybe a notch up fro the Go) that does not tax your pc resources more than the original that would be great.  Then if guys want to add all their nice to have features they can do so at the cost of their pc’s performance.  Some seem to think you get something for nothing imho,

Nexus 6
    The weird thing is that I have not noticed an extra load issue with using core 2 in game compared to original home?
    If its there it must be a small difference as my machine is a fair way down the spec tree.
    If you run high demand VR apps, like many flight simulators, and monitor FPS, you will know what diff there is.  As I mentioned earlier in order to maintain 90fps on one of my sims with core 2.0 I needed to drop my supersampling from 1.3 to 1.1.  So ya, kinda significant, for me anyway.  Maybe if you are running less demanding games/apps you might not notice any significant diffs.

edited June 2018
    Deleted
    Not sure why it double posted?

Wintermute
    Looks like the forum had hiccups at 5:46 pm today...   blame it on the weather (we do for anything else :p )
    Rift S