cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i use my rift without having to rely on your buggy software?

WotanReborn
Honored Guest
Once again I can't play VR games I have on steam because to launch SteamVR I first have to launch your unstable software that once again is refusing to work and throwing out the good old "We're having trouble starting Oculus" for 30 minutes straight.

Either make sure your software is reliable or let people use the device they bought for an absurd amount of money to play games on Steam VR that's actually reliable without having to also use your software as a second layer of DRM...
29 REPLIES 29

Netheri
Rising Star
@MAC_MAN86 , did you notice, that the Dash in VR is still working without the Home(2) running? So you can start the game from the Dash library? 🙂
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed you did find that out. Personally I'm not using Dash until Core2 is no longer in BETA and then again only if the RAM Usage is as it used to be and does not impact fps as it has done since 1.26 Release. I don't blame the Windows Update for this as it happened before I began a fresh OS install.
I think you are meaning the Desktop Library which shares the same with both Home Classic and Home2. Dash is the VR menu screen in which you can pin items within your games/apps.

Netheri
Rising Star
I mean the menusystem, which pops up with the Oculus button. From that it's possible to open the game library in VR without home(2) being loaded 8by choosing the library icon. For me, the Dash is that pop up menu and the windows which it opens are part of it, and it gives you the option to pin games/apps. Edit: and desktop library is the library in desktop app.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Home is pretty stable with very few bugs from my experience. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. 

The biggest offender I've found has been Windows 10 and their updates. Other times it's Nvidia drivers which have different bugs each release. 

So, it's possible your issues have nothing to do with Home itself. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had ZERO problems with Oculus Home. SteamVR is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. I frequently have problems quitting games with SteamVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
SteamVR just got an upate today for Win 1803 on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
SteamVR always gets updates that claim to fix the problems that Rift owners have, but it doesn't change a thing so far unfortunately. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
One issue in doing this trick of disabling HOME VR is you Rift Mic does not go into the games but does still go to VoiceAttack. I prefer voice coms in E:D but the performance is a bit better. I wonder is there another file to select as Run As Admin which allows the mic to pass through?
We could do with Rift Mic in the Privacy Settings to select which it connects to.
Perhaps the start shortcut? "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe"

Netheri
Rising Star

MAC_MAN86 said:

One issue in doing this trick of disabling HOME VR is you Rift Mic does not go into the games but does still go to VoiceAttack. I prefer voice coms in E:D but the performance is a bit better. I wonder is there another file to select as Run As Admin which allows the mic to pass through?
We could do with Rift Mic in the Privacy Settings to select which it connects to.
Perhaps the start shortcut? "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe"

That's a good point. However, OTT (Oculus Tray Tool) seems to handle the mic things with or without the Home(2) running. At least for me it does.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Netheri said:

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.

Ah,  I set oculusclient.exe to run as admin, but when starting something in Steam that just resulted in a black screen on the rift, but the games playing on the screen.  Maybe the Home2 exec will behave differently.