cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with turning off ASW and low gpu usage in oculus.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen it a number of times people getting low gpu usage and unable to turn off ASW. I cannot turn off ASW with numpad keys oculus ddebug too or oculus tray tool. also my gpu usage is low. I know that sometimes gpu usage will not be high in vsync on applications like vr all the time. I would prefer to completely disable ASW and also any possible fixes for the gpu usage being low I think they are related somehow. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

McSpantal
Honored Guest
same issue here, exchanged a few emails with support as well, but hit a wall there.

YoLolo69
Trustee
CTRL + 1 (numpad) work fine for me (and lot of users), so possibly you don't have NumLock in the state to invoke the "1" on numpad? You can open a notepad before launching your game and hit the "1" on numpad to be sure you don't have to switch NumLock before. Sound obvious but lot of persons realize this is the reason. Also, you can use Oculus Debug Tool with a game profile or on General settings as it turn ASW off fine no problem (tested everyday by me).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Mot666
Expert Protege
I was using a HDMI to DVI adapter to try and fix colour and contrast levels (as recommended by CMDRS on the Frontier forums) and couldn't use CTRL+1 to turn of ASW in some games. I recently removed the adapter and plugged straight into GPU HDMI which seems to have fixed the inability to turn off ASW.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Weird as I don't see the relation with the adapter. My Rift is plugged through a HDMI to DVI for years and I still can turn ASW ON or OFF using CTRL+1 or Oculus Debug Tool or Oculus Tray Tool. Well, it's fixed for you so that's good anyway 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Mot666
Expert Protege
Sorry I meant HDMI to DP. I'd only just woken up...

McSpantal
Honored Guest

YoLolo69 said:

Weird as I don't see the relation with the adapter. My Rift is plugged through a HDMI to DVI for years and I still can turn ASW ON or OFF using CTRL+1 or Oculus Debug Tool or Oculus Tray Tool. Well, it's fixed for you so that's good anyway 😉

For me, the oculus problems were gone, did not notice when it happened as i was trying to get project cars working for weeks. At the end, i've installed the beta driver and enabled "Direct Mode".
Since then my 70W GPU power draw jumped back to the "optimal" 200W+ and project cars is playable again.

Globespy
Expert Protege

McSpantal said:

YoLolo69 said:

For me, the oculus problems were gone, did not notice when it happened as i was trying to get project cars working for weeks. At the end, i've installed the beta driver and enabled "Direct Mode".
Since then my 70W GPU power draw jumped back to the "optimal" 200W+ and project cars is playable again.

What do you mean by 'Direct Mode'?
I read about Nvidia releasing Direct Mode drivers back in 2015, but isn't all that superceeded by todays Oculus ASW?
How would this direct mode increase the power draw to your GPU to help with VR playability?
Isn't this just the same as the "Prefer Max Performance" in the NVCP?

Sorry if I'm missing something.
Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
For E:D...
Vsync=OFF
Frame Limit=OFF
NVIDIA Control Panel, scroll down in Change Resolution and set Dynamic Range to FULL.
C:\Users\STUDIO\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite\Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride
(save a Copy of original before editing)
Try these. The ToeDenominator gets your blacks at the best black without losing Stars.
Use you your own choice of colours but for this Cyan HUD you need GAMMA=FULL and HUD BRIGHTNESS=3pips in Right System Panel. BLOOM=MEDIUM or FULL.

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GraphicsConfig>
  <HDRNode_Reference>
    <ToeDenominator>0.2078</ToeDenominator>
    <ToeStrength>0.2300</ToeStrength>
  </HDRNode_Reference>
  <GUIColour>
    <Default>
      <LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
      <MatrixRed> 0, 0.5, 1 </MatrixRed>
      <MatrixGreen> 0, 0.8, 0 </MatrixGreen>
      <MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>
    </Default>
  </GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

If ASW in ODT ain't working then try the old 1.13 version in the SDK. Else your OS has gotten messed up from the Upgrade I'm afraid. You may try DDU and going to any known good GPU Drivers but messing with this is not good in the long run.