The end of Memes? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The end of Memes?

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,606 Valuable Player

Wow!

WAAAGH!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,910 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    I know I am in a vast minority but.
    .. bring on the ban hammer :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,280 Valuable Player
    This would only ban Meme's in their current form, where people take material that is under Copyright and throw funny words on top of it. We are living in the age of "lazy man meme's."

If a law like this goes through then all of the web's Photoshop experts will simply start "creating" meme's for everyone to use.

So instead of this...

We will get this...

This is all similar to when the "world wide web" first became a thing, and people were buying domain names of businesses. Like... I could have bought "BestBuy.com" and then charged the company a hundred thousand dollars for it. But then a law was passed that made such a thing illegal since Domain Names are also treated as intellectual property.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    The EU has no fair use clause in copyright? Even the USA has that and our copyright laws went full retard 50+ years ago.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,758 Volunteer Moderator
    Nothing will change, it's just a lot of bruhaha ... keep calm people, the sky is NOT falling, although sky news likes to spin it that way when it comes to the EU. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,606 Valuable Player
    Nothing will change, it's just a lot of bruhaha ... keep calm people, the sky is NOT falling, although sky news likes to spin it that way when it comes to the EU. 

WAAAGH!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,917 Valuable Player
    I can't see copyright owners taking any sort of action over Memes. It's free advertising for their IP.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    I can't see copyright owners taking any sort of action over Memes. It's free advertising for their IP.

It's been done on YouTube. Even OzzyMan has suffered from it; which is why he doesn't release as many traditional videos anymore. He needs to get permission from the original owners of the media. Copyright owners simply have to contact the sites hosting the meme's. They can just fill out some paperwork and let the process work itself out. It's free money for copyright owners.

It's not really free advertising anyway. There's more money to be made in suing people violating copyright than hoping your sales increase due to copyright violation.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    Is that Ozzy man reviews - found him the other day - hilarious!  I recommend his review of the cheese rolling at Cooper's Hill     :D

I also recommend attending said cheese rolling event!
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    The thing is, anything that would constitute a meme does not violate copyright laws in most countries.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,758 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Zenbane said:
    snowdog said:

It's been done on YouTube. Even OzzyMan has suffered from it; which is why he doesn't release as many traditional videos anymore. He needs to get permission from the original owners of the media. Copyright owners simply have to contact the sites hosting the meme's. They can just fill out some paperwork and let the process work itself out. It's free money for copyright owners.

It's not really free advertising anyway. There's more money to be made in suing people violating copyright than hoping your sales increase due to copyright violation.

Weeeeeelll, look at giphy.com 70% of the content on there is actually from the content producers themselves, including the big brand names, memes/gifs are a great marketing tool, I get asked by clients all the time on how they could have a viral meme, plus we advise them that when you allow people to use and remix your content into something new and cool they should allow it, and 90% do, the 10% are stuck in the stone age but will need to alter their thinking if they want to survive.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    I don't want to defend this decision too much, 'cause I do love my meme's! Skeletor meme's would fall victim to this as well.

I just now that the EU has influenced real change (like laws governing Search Engines). And I also know that not all organization's are okay with their IP being used. Comedy Central is a good example. They get South Park videos pulled from YouTube and other outlets mighty fast.

The EU has also influence law outside entertainment, such as HIPAA here in the US.

By this time next year it'll be interesting to see how meme's may have evolved.
    :)