cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i use my rift without having to rely on your buggy software?

WotanReborn
Honored Guest
Once again I can't play VR games I have on steam because to launch SteamVR I first have to launch your unstable software that once again is refusing to work and throwing out the good old "We're having trouble starting Oculus" for 30 minutes straight.

Either make sure your software is reliable or let people use the device they bought for an absurd amount of money to play games on Steam VR that's actually reliable without having to also use your software as a second layer of DRM...
29 REPLIES 29

Netheri
Rising Star
Don't set the oculusclient to admin but oculusVR.exe (for Home1) or Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe (Home 2). Leave Oculus Dektop app as it is. However, i've noticed, thet the Dasboard works without error messgage only in Home1. But that's ok, it works in SteamVR anyway, when only desktop app is running and/or in Home1.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Netheri
Rising Star
Of course, best option would be the possibility to make admin trick for the home, as it was possible before 1.26 but Oculus wants us to make things difficult, if we want to use SteamVR.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee
FWIW - Home by itself (i.e. in the Rift in one of your homes) uses quite a lot of GPU resource, but I noticed when opening a Steam app (no guesses which 😛 ) as it switches to the app home closes, GPU resources used drops and are then released to the opening app, this seems to interpret that Oculus Home etc. uses negligible GPU (and CPU I think) resources once an app is activated.

As my fav game was using 97%+ GPU time on the 1080 I was curious to find out if it was the modded game or a mix of Home & the game.  It appears to be the game...   Incidentally, Steam Home uses a fair amount of resources before launch of a game according to GPU-Z.

Happy to be proven wrong if I have misinterpreted things, they just appear that way.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
For my Steam I uncheck the SteamVR Beta and it doesn't load anything except the monochrome horizon.
In my Home1 I did not allow Core 2 Beta so I will not get Dash. There are 2 options for Beta; that plus Beta Testing the next version. You can't get Dash in Home1 by opting out of both.

GeekyGami
Adventurer
I had been in public test for a bit.

I disabled Home2 by renaming its .exe within the appropriate folder (Binary in this case, since it's Unreal Engine)

Before 1.26, I could use Dash without Home2 just fine (if we don't count the keyboard not working)

Now, whenever Dash starts without Home2, it gives me a message saying it ran into a fatal error (Bullshit if I've ever seen it) and tells me to restart. After restart, it does the same thing. Thus, Dash is unusable without Home2 on my end.

Could anybody tell me if they also have that issue in 1.26?

Netheri
Rising Star

GeekyGami said:

I had been in public test for a bit.

I disabled Home2 by renaming its .exe within the appropriate folder (Binary in this case, since it's Unreal Engine)

Before 1.26, I could use Dash without Home2 just fine (if we don't count the keyboard not working)

Now, whenever Dash starts without Home2, it gives me a message saying it ran into a fatal error (Bullshit if I've ever seen it) and tells me to restart. After restart, it does the same thing. Thus, Dash is unusable without Home2 on my end.

Could anybody tell me if they also have that issue in 1.26?

I ran to this too. 1st time i made home1&2 admin ran, Dash worked without the Homes, but after restart i started getting that fatal error. What's curious though is that it works without flaw if you use it on SteamVR (At least it works with my set up.). OR if you manually start Home1. Home2 also wouldn't load up anymore if ran manually with admin rights. 😄 I'm starting to give up and letting the Home2 to automatically run when using SteamVR and it's installed apps. Sometimes Oculus let's to use SteamVR dash and the apps close as they should but at least for me those instances are in minority.

RattyUK
Trustee
Not exaclty scientific, but..

Below are 4 screen grabs (cropped) with CPU & GPU useage:

e36ey4q5posg.jpg
Oculus software minimised.

n9i9ugnlzdod.jpg
Oculus Home in HMD

qkc0elz0fi5d.jpg
SteamVR Home open in HMD

6as8xkushfyb.jpg
SteamVR open in HMD but not on my head!

Conclusion: Steam Home uses less resources than Oculus home -  which appears to indicate that Oculus Home unloads correctly when Steam Home opens.

The last one is curious, GPU load is 97% and nothing is being displayed in the headset (or incidentally the desktop) so something interesting is going on there.

Not shown, but when e.g. SkyrimVR is loaded from Home library CPU load is seen to drop briefly as Home closes and SteamVR opens the game, this also appears to support that Oculus Home is unloaded to minimal impact on CPU/GPU load.

For the record, PC desktop is 4K which likely explains the GPU memory useage with no 'load'.

Any comments welcome.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion
@RattyUK Great comparison, when you ran Oculus Home, is it 2.0? Do you have any furniture, objects etc in Home, or did you load up an empty environment? Is your Steam home, full or empty? Those factors can impact GPU load variation.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
@LZoltowski - that was with Home #1 open, moderately furnished, quite tastefully (even if I am the only one who thinks so) with around 200 objects used throughout.

My SteamVR home is as it arrived, mainly as I only use it to launch games until they show in Oculus Library.

LZoltowski
Champion
That will be the reason home used the GPU more then. A lot more geometry to draw and store in the buffer. @RattyUK
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂