cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Set Up, Testing, And First Impressions Of The TPCast For Oculus Wireless System

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

So today is the day I finally break free from the cord that has always kept me tethered to the real world while using my Oculus Rift and I have to say the feeling of being off the leash is amazing!

Just a few short years ago Wireless HMD's seemed to be the holy grail of VR and most people were skeptical that we would see them any time before second generation hardware came to market. Well fast forward a few years and here we are now with a wireless solution from TPCast that actually seems to work.

I have had my TPcast unit now for a few weeks and I have to say that when I first got it I was not happy. After getting it all set up the first night the tracking seemed to hiccup every few minutes and my hands would stutter wildly from time to time as well. This was all on the Version 2 software and original firmware that came with my TPcast but there was an update that was pushed out over the past week that seems to have fixed these issues. The version 3 software has made the experience much more solid and I am happy to say I am no longer seeing tracking issues and shaky hands now.

My only real complaint is that there is still no microphone support as of yet for the Rift version of the TPcast. The mic has now been fixed on the Vive version but has not been for the Rift. I reached out to my contacts at TPcast and they assured me that the mic fix is coming soon but could not give me an exact date for the next release.

Now there is an alternative to get the mic back and apparently make the tracking even more solid through the OpenTPcast software. This however will set the user back another $25 dollars and is a bit of a technical process since you have to open the TPcast power box to install a Micro SD card containing the Open TPcast software. This is most likely not going to be an easy set up for those who are not technically inclined and since the TPcast power box has to be opened for the installation this procedure will most likely void any sort of warranty on the unit from TPcast so be aware of these things if you plan to attempt this upgrade.

Overall I am extremely happy with the increased immersion I am feeling now that I have cut the cord so to speak. Being able to walk around the room and turn circles without feeling the weight or getting wrapped up in the cord makes an amazing difference for me... I have always felt hindered by the cord and have tripped over it more times than I can count over the years.

I think the biggest question for most people is if the TPcast is worth the cost to get rid of the annoying cable. Currently to go wireless in 2018 is not cheap. The TPcast for Oculus retails for $349.99 which is almost the same cost as the Rift. They are running a sale until May 15th that brings the cost down to $299.99 but even then it is still an expensive upgrade. So to go wireless right now people are going to have to pay an early adopter tax for sure. Now for complete disclosure the TPcast I am using was sent to me for free but I will say that after experiencing Wireless VR I would have made the purchase anyway.... Now that I am finally free from the cord I really can't imagine using my Rift on a wire again! 

I do feel though that these prices are still way too high and need to come down drastically to push this tech forward. There are other players entering the game soon with RiVVR finally coming back from the dead and HTC soon to have an OEM solution for the Vive. Hopefully we sill see that more competition lowers costs and drives innovation in this tech because after using it for only a few weeks I can say now without a doubt that all HMD's need to go wireless ASAP!
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm looking forward to the TPCast Plus.  If the TPCast had mic support, I would get one now.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The box that's sits on your head doesn't look very comfortable, it looks like it's feet stick into your head? How comfortable is this equipment sat on your head like that?

I applaud TPCast for being the first to bring wireless VR to the PC but their product just isn't complete.  God i can't wait for perfect wireless VR.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Wildt
Consultant

I'm looking forward to the TPCast Plus.  If the TPCast had mic support, I would get one now.

If you install OpenTPcast the mic works.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

bobarhett13
Explorer
Yep, again, as I stare down at my cable twisted all over itself, I realize how much I really need that TPCast.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Wildt
Yeah, I just can't see paying more money to another group of people when the developers of the product should have figured it out themselves.  Plus I like the idea of having everything on my head.  I can see myself playing a game and dropping the battery off my waist. 

Wildt
Consultant

@Wildt
Yeah, I just can't see paying more money to another group of people when the developers of the product should have figured it out themselves.  Plus I like the idea of having everything on my head.  I can see myself playing a game and dropping the battery off my waist. 

Believe me, you don't want the battery on your head if you play any sort of game where you move your head quickly, like  dodging punches in Knockout League or projectiles in Space Pirate Trainer. 

The battery is HEAVY and will make the entire HMD feel unstable in such games. Hands-on reports confirm this. 

The battery belt that comes with the "old" TPcast actually does a decent job of keeping the battery out of your way, while the pouch ensures it won't fall out.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb