cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmack: New 5K × 5K Mobile VR Playback

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Another great thing for GO owners to look forward to enjoying: 5Kx5K viewing!
(Or 10K for you Pimax fans)

This is great news for Gear VR owners as well.

John Carmack, Oculus’ CTO, has revealed work on a new VR video playback technology which he says is coming to Oculus Go and newer Gear VR phones.
https://www.roadtovr.com/carmack-oculus-5k-x-5k-mobile-vr-playback-henry-re-release/

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow I really hope we get upscale for the Rift in retrospect too.

"Basically, it makes a 2k x 2k baseline, then extracts the core 5k x 2k section (1k from each eye) and cuts it into 10 segments, of which only three plus the baseline are decoded at one time. Vsync locked frame release + low latency fast-path Audio 360 spatialization."

I knew as soon as i saw the 5k x 5k announcement that this must be what he is doing.  
😄

Rapid progress - fantastic news and just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the near future. 
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

MowTin
Expert Trustee
If they can render video frames at 5k x 5k, what's stops them from rendering frames from a 3D game? Is it that they're buffering?  
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anybody tried Henry yet?  I believe it is now in the store.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

danknugz
Superstar

MowTin said:

If they can render video frames at 5k x 5k, what's stops them from rendering frames from a 3D game? Is it that they're buffering?  

probably because its just static images and nothing has to be actually drawn?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

LZoltowski
Champion

danknugz said:

MowTin said:

probably because its just static images and nothing has to be actually drawn?

Dank is correct here, video is just that, encoded position of pixels and their colours. Like an LP with it's groves, nothing is generated, it's just played back.

Rendering a game frame is vastly more complicated, here is a nice breakdown on how every frame of a GTAV happens, all the layers, passes etc, now this happens 120 frames/times a second on a high end GPU, not including, physics, sound, AI etc.

Let that sink in.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2015/11/02/gta-v-graphics-study/

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Anybody tried Henry yet?  I believe it is now in the store.

I've tried it on the Go. It is amazingly clear compared to other 3D video, but it's not perfect.

First, at 60Hz there's still that visible flickering with the Go, which is quite distracting to me. I know that some people say they can't see it, or that it doesn't bother them, but it's really obvious to my eyes and it's hard to ignore.

Second, there are still some minor video compression artifacts in moving screen elements, like Henry himself. These artifacts give the characters a sort of sparkly quality. It's very minimal, however.

Third, in the Henry video there's a near-field perspective problem. It feels like you're sitting in a divot or depression in the center of the room. Near objects, such as the table, the rug beneath you, and the banister behind you, are quite heavily distorted. I don't think that this is endemic of the video system, but rather it's a problem with how they rendered the 3D scene.

All in all, these are all relatively minor problems, especially when you consider the huge leap in quality that this video makes over the previous technologies. Is this 3D video perfect? No. But it's getting really, really close.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This looks amazing. Make sure you download the app to see how good the quality is. You can also stream the movie in Oculus Video and the difference in picture quality is night and day.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion

This looks amazing. Make sure you download the app to see how good the quality is. You can also stream the movie in Oculus Video and the difference in picture quality is night and day.

Yeah, It looks almost real-time, tiny compression artefact here and there, but WOW, I was not expecting this to get so good so fast.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂