cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carmack: New 5K × 5K Mobile VR Playback

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Another great thing for GO owners to look forward to enjoying: 5Kx5K viewing!
(Or 10K for you Pimax fans)

This is great news for Gear VR owners as well.

John Carmack, Oculus’ CTO, has revealed work on a new VR video playback technology which he says is coming to Oculus Go and newer Gear VR phones.
https://www.roadtovr.com/carmack-oculus-5k-x-5k-mobile-vr-playback-henry-re-release/

17 REPLIES 17

Great to hear it's such a large improvement!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Sounds great, but I'm not sure what this will be used for? Will this be used for things like movies or just things like Henry? I'm not at all familiar with what any of this new tech is capable of doing..

cybereality
Grand Champion
@RedRizla It can be used to greatly increase the quality of 360 video.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Is this the same Henry that is about 1.3 Gb on the store?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, it's 1.3GB. I should note it's more about reducing the rendering overhead and bandwidth, the file size can still be large (I edited my post).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion
It really is night and day, a layman person would not distinguish it from a real-time graphics engine version of Henry.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Is this using some form of foveted rendering because if I look at the door, then snap to Henry quickly, you can see it loading the detail. Still very sharp image.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion

Is this using some form of foveted rendering because if I look at the door, then snap to Henry quickly, you can see it loading the detail. Still very sharp image.

Kind of, imagine the image is projected inside of a cube, that cube is divided into sections, depending where you look those sections stream higher quality video, the stuff behind you is streamed low res, kind of if you had a wall of TV's and only the ones you are looking at had a sharper image, the TV's behind you would be SD
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂