cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place for info on what PC to build?

ShelZuuz
Explorer
New to this forum, and I can't figure out where to get PC build recommendations. I assume there is a lot of info already in here somewhere?

Specifically, I'm looking for info on how to build a (for-the-most-part) silent living room computer that will work well with the Rift.

16 REPLIES 16

ShelZuuz said:

I see almost everybody recommends the i7-8700k. Why not the i7-8086K?

Never heard of it.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

ShelZuuz said:

Likely because no one really has one yet.
Undoubtedly it will be good.

ShelZuuz
Explorer
@LZoltowski - with that Maximus IX motherboard that you have - do you still need an external USB 3.1 controller board?

I see the board has an ASMedia USB controller as well as the controller on the chipset itself. Is that sufficient? 

Would like to drive 3 sensors. Maybe 4.

LZoltowski
Champion

ShelZuuz said:

@LZoltowski - with that Maximus IX motherboard that you have - do you still need an external USB 3.1 controller board?

I see the board has an ASMedia USB controller as well as the controller on the chipset itself. Is that sufficient? 

Would like to drive 3 sensors. Maybe 4.

Sorry, busy few days with work, ill get you that list soon.

Yes the Maximus IX drives 3 sensors perfectly.

However, with 4 sensors I ran into a power delivery issue, all USB ports would just shut down. So I moved all peripherals (Mouse, Mousepad, Keyboard, USB drive, external drive) to an Actively powered USB 3.1 Hub. The only things plugged into the PC are, 2 sensors and rift on USB 2.0 ports .. and 2 Sensors and the Active USB HUB plugged into 3.1 ports.

Works perfectly.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion

ShelZuuz said:

Also, go with an M.2 SSD for your main drive. They really help with boot speeds and for your common programs (better to get a normal HDD for your games or files).

Careful recommending just M.2 to someone. M.2 is just a slot standard not a bus standard. You can have USB, SATA, I2C, PCIe all connected to M.2.

The ‘fast’ SSD drives are specifically M.2 PCIe - if you just say “M.2”, people may get a M.2 SATA drive since they’re a lot cheaper. But those are no faster than any other SATA drive.

I accidentally did that to a colleague recently. Oops...

Good point. This is the one I recommend.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147690
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

ShelZuuz said:

The i7-8086k is just a collectors edition i7-8700k. Intel did bump the single core boost speed to 5.0 GHz, but pretty much any i7-8700k can do that as it is. The single core boost speed is also completely useless since even just having windows running will use 4+ cores.

ShelZuuz
Explorer

ShelZuuz said:

The i7-8086k is just a collectors edition i7-8700k. Intel did bump the single core boost speed to 5.0 GHz, but pretty much any i7-8700k can do that as it is. The single core boost speed is also completely useless since even just having windows running will use 4+ cores.

Yeah I figured that out today. Ordered one anyway. Just can’t pass up the opportunity to tell people I’m running on an 8086 🙂