cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the verge of refunding the GO - Ridiculously bad power management. *FIXED !*

lenne0815
Adventurer
Im fully fed up with this cycle of insanity the go puts me through:

Go to bed, discover the GO is empty again because for some completely ungraspable reason it really really needed to drain that 90% battery over the day. 

Repair controller because yeah, if it gets fully discharged lets just forget the controller.

Start watching netflix, as usual the go cuts out and switches off after 20 minutes.

After rebooting and watching some more i put it down.

Get woken up by this fucking stupid dong sound it makes in the middle of the night.

Muster all my strength to not outright smash it against the wall.

I really need an eta for a system update for the go, this is beyond broken in its current state.

Edit: Fix has been released, device stays off as supposed when charging now !

Early reports indicate tweaked proximity sensor behaviour aswell.
67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed. I keep my Go plugged in all the time and the darn thing turns itself on all the time. No reason. It was properly shut down but just turns itself back on.

LZoltowski
Champion
I charge my go to the max and then hold the power button down for 10 seconds to shut it down. That way it doesn't make noises and doesn't discharge and is ready to go.

I use Eneloop Pro 2500 mah rechargeable batteries from Panasonic in the Oculus GO controller and they last for weeks.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

lenne0815
Adventurer

I charge my go to the max and then hold the power button down for 10 seconds to shut it down. That way it doesn't make noises and doesn't discharge and is ready to go.

I use Eneloop Pro 2500 mah rechargeable batteries from Panasonic in the Oculus GO controller and they last for weeks.

So you set yourself an alarm in the middle of the night when your best guesstimation is that it reaches 100% to switch it off ?

desiv
Expert Protege

lenne0815 said:

So you set yourself an alarm in the middle of the night when your best guesstimation is that it reaches 100% to switch it off ?

Where did he say anything about any of that?
He was just offering some helpful suggestions.

Yes, the power management needs work, but a lot of us have figured out some ways for it to work better for us.

desiv

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lenne0815 said:

If you hold the power button down for 10 seconds then you don't have to worry about it dropping to low power in the middle of the night. Power it OFF after you unplug it.

If you Power it OFF while it is plugged in, it turns back on automatically. It has to be unplugged and off your head. Then power it OFF. The battery charge will preserve itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good information, guys. Thank you. Oculus, please still fix the power management.

burning_airline
Expert Protege
Just for another data point, I never have trouble with the Oculus Go power management.  I leave it plugged in when I'm not using it.  If it turns on while charging I don't know about it.  I don't keep it in my bedroom.  Sometimes I forget to plug it back in after using it and the power is low the next time I use it, but never entirely drained.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your GO is at least 99% full when turning on your external battery pack while connected to it, it will go up to 100% for the entire night even when playing games. It will also not heat up the faceplate much either because it seems it only heats up when the battery is straining to charge when below 90%. If it never goes that low it will remain charged and cool for many many hours (6+) in my case. Just make sure before your session is over you have it to at least 99% battery before turning it completely off so you can jump right in and repeat the process for the next session. This has worked wonders for me.

kevink808
Superstar
What? I don't have any of these problems and I keep it in sleep mode all the time. One thing that helps is detach the top strap.  It will constantly wake up the GO.  So detach the velcro and flip it over the front of the visor.  Now it will stay in sleep mode.  In 24 hours I only lose about 1-2% battery when I do this. 
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.