cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the verge of refunding the GO - Ridiculously bad power management. *FIXED !*

lenne0815
Adventurer
Im fully fed up with this cycle of insanity the go puts me through:

Go to bed, discover the GO is empty again because for some completely ungraspable reason it really really needed to drain that 90% battery over the day. 

Repair controller because yeah, if it gets fully discharged lets just forget the controller.

Start watching netflix, as usual the go cuts out and switches off after 20 minutes.

After rebooting and watching some more i put it down.

Get woken up by this fucking stupid dong sound it makes in the middle of the night.

Muster all my strength to not outright smash it against the wall.

I really need an eta for a system update for the go, this is beyond broken in its current state.

Edit: Fix has been released, device stays off as supposed when charging now !

Early reports indicate tweaked proximity sensor behaviour aswell.
67 REPLIES 67

Sounds like putting a blanket over a budgie cage.

lenne0815
Adventurer
Problem with all these "workarounds" is that they add additional steps which are completely unnecessary.

GOs utterly dumb behaviour actually consists of multiple main Problems:

- The Proximity sensor doesnt work now and will never work correctly in the future as the middle strap just slumps down and activates it.

• Solution: disable it completely, punch both the guy who designed the headstrap and the guy who designed the placement of the proximity sensor square in the face. ( Afterwards yell at them why they never talked to each other while designing the go and slap them again )

-Hardware making noises at night even "switched off" which is mainly advertised / used as a media consumption device is so far off the charts i can only repeat myself, another backhand bitch slap for the guy who went: "dooooodes, ive got a great idea, lets do this"

• Solution: disable "wakeup sounds", "power off sounds" "hurrdurr im halfway charged sounds", "hurrdurr im not sure what the eff im doing but *dong*" and pretty much any other sound until someone pushes the power button to switch it on.

- The power on / off switch does a lot of things but doesnt power the device on and off.
Yeah, you read that correctly, theres a switch on the go thats labeled with the universal symbol for a power switch but its unable to do that one single thing its very existence is based upon, power the device on and off.

• Solution: throw the guy who thought its a great to idea to mislabel the button and exclude a real power switch from the device off the top of the Hell in a cell. And then slap him. Hard. 
  • Furthermore give the power switch its basic feature back, noone gives a flying fuck if the device updates for some time after its powered on, atleast that way one knows where the battery % went.
  • The switch is already designed so one cant push it in by accident, it would work just great as an actual power button. ( Which is in itself confusing, because that actually means in between latte filled heated meetings at one point someone really believed that the power switch will be a power switch in the final device - give that man a beer please. )

Look, i quickly made some design guidelines for it, easy to follow, even as a reasonably paid oculus engineer:

1)  Device powered off ( Yes thats possible in my personal improved version of the go )
  • a single short push of the button powers the device on ( on as in on on, proximity sensor is gone, so its on now, we know that because we as halfway cognitive capable humans are able to actually see the light emitting from the display backlight behind the lenses.

2)  Device is on

• a single short push powers the device down until ! ( and here it comes, fasten your seatbelts guys, revelation time !!!11!!1 ) it is powered on again as described under point 1)

Now this leaves the more observant reader wondering, what do we do to minimize display hours ? what happens if the user is not wearing it, will it be fully on until the battery is drained completely now that the proximity sensor is in the bin where it belongs ?

Theres an easy solution to that aswell, as some might know there are effin imus in this device which can be used to detect if somebody is actually using the go or not.

Disclaimer: Im usually not a proponent of physical force but these reoccurring blatantly stupidity ( as in inability to solve a given problem ) really got me on the edge, if oculus go would be a Kentucky fried chicken place i would get out of my car in the drive through, climb through the window and shit right there on the counter.

desiv
Expert Protege
You're making some assumptions there that aren't totally correct.
Good thing you are on a forum with lots of people with options and you have an open mind!  😉
- The Proximity sensor doesn't work now and will never work correctly
in the future as the middle strap just slumps down and activates it.
You can get/make a cover for the lenses.  Probably a good idea anyway.
(I know, you don't want a craft project, but it can be a very basic cover.  I did 3D print my own, but that's not required.)
-Hardware making noises at night even "switched off"
Not when it is actually switched off.  More on that later.
- The power on / off switch does a lot of things but doesnt power the device on and off.
Yes, by default, a quick press doesn't turn it off.  But if it isn't plugged in and you press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, it will turn itself truly off..

I do agree that the power management needs work, but it's not quite as bad as you are framing it.  😉

lenne0815
Adventurer
Double post

cybereality
Grand Champion
We're looking into these reports and some of the issues may be able to be addressed in a future update.

For now, the best thing is to be sure that top strap is not blocking the proximity sensor (while in standby mode), and to remove the cord and power down the device if you plan to not use it for some time. Note that (even when off) the device will turn back on while charging and reaching a certain battery level.

Pressing the power button or letting the device go to sleep make it go into standby mode, and can be easily woken. To power off the headset you'll need to hold the power button down for around 3 or 4 seconds and then chose Shut Down with the pointer. You can also long hold the power button for around 10 - 15 seconds to power off. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

lenne0815
Adventurer

desiv said:

You're making some assumptions there that aren't totally correct.
Good thing you are on a forum with lots of people with options and you have an open mind!  😉
- The Proximity sensor doesn't work now and will never work correctly
in the future as the middle strap just slumps down and activates it.
You can get/make a cover for the lenses.  Probably a good idea anyway.
(I know, you don't want a craft project, but it can be a very basic cover.  I did 3D print my own, but that's not required.)
-Hardware making noises at night even "switched off"
Not when it is actually switched off.  More on that later.
Yes, by default, a quick press doesn't turn it off.  But if it isn't plugged in and you press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, it will turn itself truly off..

I do agree that the power management needs work, but it's not quite as bad as you are framing it.  😉

You cant switch it off period. You can put it to "deep sleep" but its impossible to switch it off without cracking it open and installing a physical switch for the battery. Not a single of my numerous electrical appliances switches itself back on when you connect it to mains power.

Lets do it by the book, my use case:

• Go to bed
  • Realize the go overheated because it switched back on by itself and the headstrap covered the proximity sensor
  • Wait until it cools down / reboot
  • Check the display for burn in / irregularities as its been sitting with a static image for the last 6 hours
  • Take roughly another 20 cycles of the li-io battery, somehow the way until roughly 1000 cycles when it degrades seems utterly short now
  • start netflix
  • watch netflix for 20 minutes until it reboots by itself ( Different problem though )
  • reboot
  • continue watching netflix
  • Put it in deep sleep by holding the "power" button for 15 seconds
  • wake up
  • connect the go to the charger
  • rinse and repeat

desiv
Expert Protege
You can switch it off.  Really..

Give it a try.  Make sure it is NOT plugged in (or it won't really turn off but just go to sleep) and press and hold the switch till the light goes off.

Don't take my word for it, try it!
I do it all the time.
Off like this is off.  😉

lenne0815
Adventurer
Desiv, seriously, a device is not off imo if it restarts as soon as you plug it in, you can call it deep sleep maybe but certainly not off.

desiv
Expert Protege

lenne0815 said:

Desiv, seriously, a device is not off imo if it restarts as soon as you plug it in, you can call it deep sleep maybe but certainly not off.

We disagree. 
I think a device is off if something external needs to happen (flip a switch, apply power) for it to power back on.
And when it is off like this, it won't update in the background.  It won't connect to wifi. It won't drain power.
That feels off to me.

But that's me.  To each his own.  😉 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lenne0815 said:

If an Oven can be pre-heated, then a device can be "off" even if it auto-starts after being plugged in.