cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the verge of refunding the GO - Ridiculously bad power management. *FIXED !*

lenne0815
Adventurer
Im fully fed up with this cycle of insanity the go puts me through:

Go to bed, discover the GO is empty again because for some completely ungraspable reason it really really needed to drain that 90% battery over the day. 

Repair controller because yeah, if it gets fully discharged lets just forget the controller.

Start watching netflix, as usual the go cuts out and switches off after 20 minutes.

After rebooting and watching some more i put it down.

Get woken up by this fucking stupid dong sound it makes in the middle of the night.

Muster all my strength to not outright smash it against the wall.

I really need an eta for a system update for the go, this is beyond broken in its current state.

Edit: Fix has been released, device stays off as supposed when charging now !

Early reports indicate tweaked proximity sensor behaviour aswell.
67 REPLIES 67

chettawan
Expert Protege
I charge the GO overnight every days and never happened to get complete depletion. I always turn the GO off manually every time I not charge it. And aftet fully charged I also turn it off cover the lens with included lens cover cardboard. No problem at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I turn off via the display if not using for a long period but if just leaving it for several hours I just put it on the shelf in my computer desk with the lenses to the rear so there is no light or movement near the sensors, it doesn't lose much power at all about 1% to 2% per 12 hours.

When turned off I have actually had the battery level increase by 1%  :smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note that (even when off) the device will turn back on while charging and reaching a certain battery level.

OK this is where I take exception. The instruction manual clearly says the device should not be powered on and in use while plugged in... SO WHY DID YOU DESIGN IT TO TURN ITSELF ON BY ITSELF WHEN PLUGGED IN? That is my question. Seems like a really weird design choice. If the device isn't supposed to be used while plugged in, why should it turn itself on? And, I don't know about you, but after I drain the battery down to 5% and decide to plug it in, I'm not standing by the power outlet for the next two hours waiting to unplug it and immediately strap it back onto my head. Like a normal human being I tend to charge my devices while I sleep. That means the Go just sits there turned on for hours and hours for no reason at all.

Please please please get rid of this useless function. If I want the device on I'll turn it on myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you are ignoring the "and in use" part.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I mainly power mine with an external battery pack (1amp output).  This tends to keep my go at around 100%.  When I'm finished my session I just unplug the battery cable then press the power button and select power off.  This fully powers it off and it's ready to go, fully charged.  Seems to be working ok for me.  I also run it down a bit on it's own battery once or twice a week.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

lenne0815
Adventurer
I just had a random thought yesterday and ill examine it closer today, if i find the "dong" audio file on the go and delete it it should atleast stop making noises at night, thereby eliminating the most annoying part of this shitshow. I dont really care if either the display or the battery fail early due to the go switching on and the strap covering the sensor as oculus has been really good with covering manufacturing defects so far with me and i fully expect them to cover the go like that aswell.

lenne0815
Adventurer
I got a bit further, using an adb explorer i found the startup sound at /system/media/audio/ui/startup.wav unfortunately i dont have write permissions to that folder so i cant replace it with an empty wave file.

I made a really interesting observation fiddling with it though, If the volume is turned all the way down for the reminder of that session the system sounds are not muted, which is a bug obviously.
The next time it boots the setting actually sticks and it boots up dead silent and doesnt make any noise anymore.

So another possible fix is to make the system sounds actually adhere to the volume settings in the current session.

RoyalPeasant_101
Explorer
A lot of focus and response on the power on/off issue, but, did anybody come up with an answer to the 20 minute time out when watching a Netflix?

desiv
Expert Protege

A lot of focus and response on the power on/off issue, but, did anybody come up with an answer to the 20 minute time out when watching a Netflix?

Not a problem I have..  😞 

Plan-B
Protege

Note that (even when off) the device will turn back on while charging and reaching a certain battery level.

SO WHY DID YOU DESIGN IT TO TURN ITSELF ON BY ITSELF WHEN PLUGGED IN?

This has become my number 1 complaint about the Go. I know this behavior exists. But it's so radically different from every other battery operated electronic device that I own. Even though I know about it, and have discussed it here, I still end up forgetting about it during normal use and ending up with a partially drained battery the next time I go to use it.