cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has Oculus removed the ability to use your own panoramas in 360 Photos?!

mediavr
Protege
Dont install the latest update if you want to show your own panoramas! Now it just says use Oculus Gallery instead!
17 REPLIES 17

LabulleCreation
Protege
I second this, as stated in the other thread, you have put us in big trouble, as Oculus 360 was the highest quality viewer. Why have you done something as inconsiderate as this ?

I was thrilled to buy a the Oculus Go on day one as it's the best headset on the market and now what ?
I'm seriously stunned.
Oculus Gallery would be OK if the functionnality was on par with Oculus 360 but it's not. It doesn't even go as far as displaying what Oculus 360 used to display, it's not even a quality problem there.

LZoltowski
Champion
Hey folks, this is a mostly community ran forum. I would get in touch with official support by submitting a support ticket here: https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

mediavr
Protege
Ok ... I have opened a support ticket .. this is what I said:
"On updating 360 Photos recently now when I go to My Photos it just tells me to use Oculus Gallery instead. This is much inferior in its rendering of  stereo 360 panorama than 360 Photos was. Why has Oculus removed the ability to see you own panoramas in 360 Photos app -- why do they not inform you that this is what will happen when you do update? Is there some way to revert to the previous version where this capability was present?" I have zero hope that this will have any effect but lets see what they will say.

LZoltowski
Champion

mediavr said:

Ok ... I have opened a support ticket .. this is what I said:
"On updating 360 Photos recently now when I go to My Photos it just tells me to use Oculus Gallery instead. This is much inferior in its rendering of  stereo 360 panorama than 360 Photos was. Why has Oculus removed the ability to see you own panoramas in 360 Photos app -- why do they not inform you that this is what will happen when you do update? Is there some way to revert to the previous version where this capability was present?" I have zero hope that this will have any effect but lets see what they will say.

Great, let us know what they say so that others can find this info.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

mediavr
Protege
support says: "We understand that you've got some concern regarding the recent update request to use Oculus Gallery.

Please give us some time to look into this matter further for you." They make it sound like I am just being fussy -- ignoring that they have removed important functionality (to view your own 360 photos)  in 360 Photos without warning with this update -- which is labelled  as "Important" -- in Go -- as though you are risking your digital health -- though it does nothing except cripple the app as far as I can see.

jacobsen561
Honored Guest
Mediavr I agree totally with what you said. Viewing my own content in the Oculus Gallery is terrible. The image is so soft I have reverted back to my Gear VR. It is totally useless to me in its present state and I see no reason or benefit in what they did. Please keep this updated.

mediavr
Protege
John Carmack who wrote the panorama code for 360 Photos is writing about his innovations for 3d 360 video playback on Go here:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/behind-the-tech-with-john-carmack-5k-immersive-video

I wrote in the comments"
"It is great that you have really nice 3d video resolution working on Go! -- but another piece of your work -- 360 Photos for GearVR and Go -- is being trashed. Now users of that app have had their ability to see their own panoramas (mono or stereo) removed arbitrarily with a forced update of that app -- with just a notice to use Oculus Gallery instead -- which is much inferior in its rendering -- especially for high definition stereo 360 panoramas. This action is being discussed currently at the top of the Oculus support Go forum."

bohonus
Honored Guest
This reduction of 360 panorama viewing capability is really unfortunate to hear.

360 Panoramic photos currently represent the largest volume of existing content and largest volume of newly created content of anything being produced that can be viewed in interactive 360-fashion on the GO (and even other HMDs).

360 Panoramic photos are also the simplest and most common form of content that can be created by GO users who aren't "developers". Which, I would suspect, also happen to be the largest group of GO users and will remain so in the future.

As such, playback and viewing of 360 panoramas should always be of the highest quality possible, the most convenient, the simplest, the most robust, etc, etc. For there to be any reason whatsoever for this not to be the case now or in the future of the GO is detrimental to the product.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
There's a saying most people are aware of. "Don't mess with something that's not broken." Looks like Oculus totally ignored that well known saying..