New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Time for me to boycott buying games from Oculus store

christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
Nexus 6
Once again, the Rift gets the shaft. No support for Rift on Oculus Venues. First it was the GearVr and now Go who get the live streaming events and Rift gets jack shit.
Fine, to this point I have bought all my games from Oculus Store to support Oculus. Screw you guys. All my games will now be bought via Steam.

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018

I wish everything available for Go was available for Rift.

But I suppose they're doing what they need to do and that's give people as much incentive to buy the Go as possible. I mean I don't have a Go but it's looking like a possible buy. Not just because some stuff is exclusive but because media streaming is possibly Go's major selling point with its lens developments and higher resolution. So I'm not going to bash Oculus for keeping it as a selling point.

Plus there's a ton of software that's only ever going to be playable on the Rift so fair's fair.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    I won't lie, it's a poor show that oculus' premium device keeps getting shafted but you are cutting your nose off to spite face imo.
    Good on you tho imo the only power we have as consumer is voting with wallet in hope the listen
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    edited June 2018
    WHY do they not support Rift? I'm a bit confused why they wouldn't just include Rift.
  • MachendillMachendill Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I think it might have something to do with the content not being allowed on PC in general - it might be simply out of Oculus hands. Just guessing here :smile:
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,158 Valuable Player
    I think also that there may be that some content was created for the Samsung/Oculus partnership and not intended for PC only route. It is strange and it would be great if @cybereality could get an official statement?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,158 Valuable Player
    Come on @snowdog - we have young posters on this forum, there was no need for that.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, I agree with @kevinw729 on this one. No need to be crass, though I understand the sentiment.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,203 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    snowdog said:
    So you're going to give your money to Valve instead, who have been doing FUCK ALL with the money that gamers have been giving them FOR YEARS. At least Oculus have been bringing AAA quality games to the Oculus Store since day one and actually CURATE their store properly.

Valve are a complete bunch of c**** imo and are poisoning the VR games well with the 98% of pure shite they allow on Steam. Complete c**** the lot of them. Gaben should be hanging his head in shame these last 10 years or so.
    Have to agree. Most vr titles on steam are 95% crapware. Anyways his post is nothing compared to danknuts and mac_mans “posts”.   Snowdog speaks the truth....bluntly. LOL
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,144 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    I own both the Rift and GO, so there aint no shafting on this end!

A few things to observe about this overall situation:
    • When Facebook acquired Oculus, a plethora of complaints began about "privacy concerns" due to the fact that Facebook is a Social Media company.
    • People have complained that the Rift account can be acquired using a Facebook account.
    • People have complained that this very Forum uses a Facebook login.
    • People have stressed their concern that the Facebook acquisition of Oculus would mean that less "PC games" would be focused on, and more "social apps" would come forth.
    • Facebook Spaces received lots of criticism from PCVR owners.

Yet now here we are where newcomers and veteran posters alike feel slighted that the Rift doesn't have Oculus Venues, a Social Media app? lmao

Oculus Venues only works with a Facebook Account. So maybe the reason Facebook-Oculus didn't create it for the Rift is because they decided to listen to the hundreds of complaints between 2016-2018 about Facebook specific Social Media apps being forced on Rift owners.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited June 2018
    snowdog said:
    So you're going to give your money to Valve instead, who have been doing *** ALL with the money that gamers have been giving them FOR YEARS. At least Oculus have been bringing AAA quality games to the Oculus Store since day one and actually CURATE their store properly.

Valve are a complete bunch of **** imo and are poisoning the VR games well with the 98% of pure shite they allow on Steam. Complete **** the lot of them. Gaben should be hanging his head in shame these last 10 years or so.
    Perhaps not the language I would use but this pretty much mirrors my view entirely . Its daft as well. Valve has some decent IP which would be nailed nailed on to make a profit so even if they no longer have the staff to make a good game, just hire them ! HL3, left for dead 3 are simply risk free imo so long as they didn't go off the reservation with 20 hrs of mocap or getting in a list actors to do voice over.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    edited June 2018
    hey Fluffy-White-Stuff-Dawg  !   yeah what they said but please off with the 'C' word man ...  
    ... else my mum (mom for the dixie whistlers ) will ban me from hanging out here !!!   :#
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    I don't know about Venues - but I do wish some of the stuff was available cross-headset and particularly fro the Rift, as someone said, their current flagship product.

I do understand media streaming licence restrictions and as far as the BBC goes they are triple A at being completely anal about it - but it's what we are stuck with.

Atmos73 said:
    When you’re s Viver there’s no need to boycott. 
    vive users are in the same boat as rifters aren’t they? Chances of valve actively pushing support for stuff like the world cup in vr is even worse so the way i see it your as shit out of luck as i am with regards to live World Cup streaming.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 293
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    I can see both sides of this argument, but feel that this is just limiting their audience and stunting the mass adoption and much needed public awareness of VR.

I am only a Rift user, and it would have been great to have friends round for the World Cup and take turns watching it in VR.

This I feel would have been replicated in many homes around the world and would most likely have increased the user base world wide.

Just my 2c! :smile:
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • cercatacercata Posts: 32
    Brain Burst

But I suppose they're doing what they need to do and that's give people as much incentive to buy the Go as possible. 

Or incentives for buying on Steam ... not even cross-buy

And if I'm using my account to play a game on the Rift, I can't lend my GO to someone else to play meanwhile.
    But if the game is from steam, yes, you can !!!!!!
    edited June 2018

I thought we were talking about streaming media.

I'm just speculating as to why Venues and certain media streams aren't available on the Rift. Those same streaming restrictions are likely going to apply regardless of whether it's on Oculus or Steam.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    Also to point out the elephant in the room...

Most - if not all - current first generation PCVR HMD's on the market aren't that great for viewing 360 Video. If Oculus Venues was on the Rift, the visual quality would be sub-par compared to GO.

The Rift is best for full 360 high-end software-based VR experiences. MobileVR is best for 360 Media.
  • CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Just to let you know there is not much going on venues?
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    snowdog said:
    So you're going to give your money to Valve instead, who have been doing FUCK ALL with the money that gamers have been giving them FOR YEARS. At least Oculus have been bringing AAA quality games to the Oculus Store since day one and actually CURATE their store properly.

Valve are a complete bunch of c**** imo and are poisoning the VR games well with the 98% of pure shite they allow on Steam. Complete c**** the lot of them. Gaben should be hanging his head in shame these last 10 years or so.
    Heavens potty chops!.
    You seem to forget SteamVR the only VR front end that supports all the currently available PC HMDs.
    And don't forget it was Valve themselves that fixed games to run on the Rift that the developers had gone out of their way to hobble. 
    I cant deny they are cheeky money grabbers, especially with the lapse in store controls of late. But you can always refund a game if its a duffer. TBH I like the more open direction they have taken of late, the community has stepped up and moved a lot of crap off the store.

Anyways...…… 360 vids - Zenny pointed out the obvious above
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Im sorry to be that guy, but I censored the c word out, especially as people are quoting it, your occasional F word is fine (in line with PG-13 heh) .. but let's not use that world. 

david spade 90s GIF
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    My favorite C-Word is:

Carebear

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    I can't help it when I tell it how it is :blush:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

I'm into VR to lose touch with reality.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Snowdog I think you’ve lost touch with reality. I’m just telling it as it is. Lol

Valve are complete scum and have been for YEARS. Where was Half Life 2 VR, Portal VR and Left 4 Dead VR when both headsets launched more than 2 years ago? Where's Half Life 3? Portal 3? Left 4 Dead 3?

I've been with Steam since it started and back in those days you couldn't get games on there unless they were good quality. Things started to go downhill with the Greenlight bollocks and got progressively worse as time has gone on.

Don't get me wrong, The Lab was fantastic, but it was at the end of the day just a collection of tech demos.

Take a look at the big titles that the Rift launched with - Lucky's Tale, Chronos, The Climb, Edge Of Nowhere etc etc etc. The Vive? The Lab and Job Simulator lol

All of the hoo-hah about the Oculus exclusives had NOTHING to do with principles and EVERYTHING to do with Vive owners having fuck all decent games to play compared to Rift owners.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited June 2018
    Atmos73 said:

I'm into VR to lose touch with reality.

You’re into VR to spread your agenda. 

You didn't reply to my previous post regarding backing up your agenda claims. So I'll call you out again. Post any pro-Oculus posts you've made in the last 2 years and I'll refer to 2 posts I've made criticising Oculus.

If you're going to criticize me you need to back it up with facts or you're going to look foolish (more foolish).

• PabbertPabbert Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    @snowdog
    Well anyone can play the exclusives if they buy them and use revive etc.